Apple's 8GB iPhone 5c offers just 3.7GB less storage than Samsung's "16GB" flagship Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 194
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Dudes... Yes the s4 sucks, etc. But who cares? The fact is that the 8gb option of the 5c is just a trap made by a greedy company.

It's not a trap. It's another option. 

If somebody needs more, then they have the choice of buying the phone with more storage space. Who are you to decide that 8GB is not enough? It may not be enough for you, but it is certainly adequate for a certain segment of users.

The greedy ones are the whining cheapskates who expects Apple to follow everybody else's lead, and sell junky products for dirt cheap. 

• Reply 42 of 194
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why do these article about available storage never mention the differences between BASE-10 using in marketing and BASE-2 used by the system, which accounts for a large part of the capacity discrepancy among all vendors? Too many will assume, for instance, that the 5C's OS is 3.4GiB?

It's absolutely ridiculous that 1000 and 1024 use the same wording. Imagine if 5,280 and 3,281 feet both used the term mile. It would be a huge pain the ass.

My question would be: if Apple uses BASE-10 and Samsung/other use BASE-2 (unless I have that backwards) then how can they both be "16GB" phones, assuming they are using the exact same chip?

For marketing purposes does Apple mean BASE-2 when they say we have a 16GB iPhone?

And if so, does this make DED's argument valid? (i.e. is the "remaining" memory also BASE-2, when put in this comparison)

• Reply 43 of 194
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

When you're trying to do those things on a windows tablet and not a PC or Mac, then you are the paperweight.

You do know the Surface Pro is a PC, right?  You can use a keyboard and mouse with it, you can plug it into a monitor or dock.  The internal specs are the same you'll find in a higher priced laptop, but that laptop might not have an active stylus / touch display.

Like I said at the start, we're talking about different devices for different purposes.  There are numerous uses for these devices depending on the person's needs.

• Reply 44 of 194
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but Google prevents the SD card from being used for app installation. Only user media (photos, movies, etc.) can be used on the SD card; the reasoning behind this is that SD cards are less reliable and have poorer performance than onboard flash storage.

Do you mean 'Android prevents the SD card from being used for app installation'?  If so, you would be mistaken.  A user can move an app to their SD card, but it won't move everything.  It splits the application so that parts end up on both.  For large apps it works great as most of it will end up on the SD card and the user will save lots of space on onboard memory.  For small utility apps it's usually not worth it.  I've never experienced a performance hit by moving an app to the SD card.  The only downside I know of is that it can break widgets for the app.  With that in mind, I have two apps that I use and I also use their widgets so I have chosen not to move them to my SD card.

• Reply 45 of 194
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    joelsalt wrote: »
    My question would be: if Apple uses BASE-10 and Samsung/other use BASE-2 (unless I have that backwards) then how can they both be "16GB" phones, assuming they are using the exact same chip?

For marketing purposes does Apple mean BASE-2 when they say we have a 16GB iPhone?

And if so, does this make DED's argument valid? (i.e. is the "remaining" memory also BASE-2, when put in this comparison)

You lost me. All retail* vendors use BASE-10 to advertise capacity and all** OSes use BASE-2 to represent actual capacity. That's why when you pop in a 1TB HDD you will only see about 0.925TiB.

* I say retail vendors because NAND vendors do market their chips as BASE-2.

** Apple actually changed this around Lion for most areas of OS X to read as BASE-10, but the OS still shows BASE-2 in other parts of the system.
  • Reply 46 of 194
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Do you mean 'Android prevents the SD card from being used for app installation'?  If so, you would be mistaken.  A user can move an app to their SD card, but it won't move everything.  It splits the application so that parts end up on both.  For large apps it works great as most of it will end up on the SD card and the user will save lots of space on onboard memory.  For small utility apps it's usually not worth it.  I've never experienced a performance hit by moving an app to the SD card.  The only downside I know of is that it can break widgets for the app.  With that in mind, I have two apps that I use and I also use their widgets so I have chosen not to move them to my SD card.

Mmmm.

Owning an Android phone sounds like a lot of work ....

• Reply 47 of 194
    Quote:

The OS uses 3gb, 2 are needed for updates. That leaves 3gb.

Explain?

• Reply 48 of 194
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Well to be fair, Samsung offers SD card slots, so this is just fud

• Reply 49 of 194
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If somebody needs more, then they have the choice of buying the phone with more storage space. Who are you to decide that 8GB is not enough? It may not be enough for you, but it is certainly adequate for a certain segment of users.

The greedy ones are the whining cheapskates who expects Apple to follow everybody else's lead, and sell junky products for dirt cheap. 

I'm astounded by the number of people who think that Apple builds phones just for them.

Quote:

Dudes... Yes the s4 sucks, etc. But who cares? The fact is that the 8gb option of the 5c is just a trap made by a greedy company.

The OS uses 3gb, 2 are needed for updates. That leaves 3gb.

In what world is that enough? 3 gb? That's fucking pathetic and a crappy move. A few photos of that awesome camera, few videos, 1 good game and that's it.

That's a bad iPhone.

Apple has everything to use 64gb as minimum. But no, gotta be greedy.

Of course, the usual delusionals who will came defending everything and vomiting a mystical 50 per cent market share in a country where most phones are close to free and contracts are the norm, while ignoring the sad 10 per cent marker share worldwide, will also irrational talking about "who needs it".

For them : shut up. It's about having a better phone, just like with better cameras, screens, etc.

It's worth bearing in mind that Apple probably has access to a lot more user information than you. 

They know which demographics buy lots of apps, music and videos, and which demographics just want two or three apps and bit of occasional surfing.

• Reply 50 of 194
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

You always get a lot more for your money when you buy Apple.  The Android Tax is just too high!

• Reply 51 of 194
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

I'm astounded by the number of people who think that Apple builds phones just for them.

Yeah. Some people need to step out of their own little selfish bubble every once in a while, and look at the bigger picture.

I would never buy an 8 GB phone, because I have many hundreds of Gigs worth of apps and other things that I need to store, but if I were going to buy an iPhone for my mother, then I would buy her the 8GB version, because anything else would be wasted.

I gave my mom an iPad 2 16GB a while back, and she never even used up half of the space. Its mainly a skype, facetime and internet machine.

• Reply 52 of 194
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple has $160 billion in the bank and they can easily afford to give users 16GB of memory for less money.  As a shareholder I give them the OK.  If they're not going to return money to shareholders then they might as well give something to financially-handicapped iPhone users who don't have money to burn.  Whatever happened to Apple's supposedly enormous economies of scale?  Shouldn't that economies of scale also include memory?  Apple is gaining nothing worthwhile at all by being so cheap by withholding memory.  It's just detrimental to the user experience.

I'd say Tim Cook either doesn't know what he's doing or he's deliberately trying to ruin Apple and shareholders.  He simply wants to keep all that reserve cash in his own pocket.

• Reply 53 of 194
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rayz wrote: »
    Mmmm.

Owning an Android phone sounds like a lot of work ....

On the plus side, barely any updates. :)
  • Reply 54 of 194
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple has $160 billion in the bank and they can easily afford to give users 16GB of memory for less money.  As a shareholder I give them the OK.  If they're not going to return money to shareholders then they might as well give something to financially-handicapped iPhone users who don't have money to burn.  Whatever happened to Apple's supposedly enormous economies of scale?  Shouldn't that economies of scale also include memory?  Apple is gaining nothing worthwhile at all by being so cheap by withholding memory.  It's just detrimental to the user experience.

I'd say Tim Cook either doesn't know what he's doing or he's deliberately trying to ruin Apple and shareholders.  He simply wants to keep all that reserve cash in his own pocket.

Im also a part time Apple shareholder, and I disapprove of helping out any financially handicapped people, because I do not care about them, and I don't believe that they make good customers.

The thing is that anybody who feels that 8GB is too little always has the option of getting the next model up. There's nobody who's forcing anybody to buy an 8GB phone against their will. 

• Reply 55 of 194
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    What twisted logic some of you have. So, why do I have to pay for a Camera with X photo quality? 0.5X is enough for most people! They only post selfie on Facebook anyway!

Why X build quality? 0.1X is more than enough because it is crap anyway and most users use cases!

I will answer: It's about making a better product.

Since you need more than 2 gb of free storage to download and install your device, and some must be always free to enable sync, you can't install Modern Combat 4 and real racing on that 450€.

Congrats Apple. And congrats to some of you.

Apple has so much money, such huge profit margin, and just keep milking it on storage, like at&t and data.

People were waiting for 32gb minimum before the iPhone 5. Look how pathetic the situation is.

And always the same guys defending the same stupid decisions. At least on the other plastic piece of crap you can have your media and documents on a SD card, and actually using it as a smartphone.
  • Reply 56 of 194
    What twisted logic some of you have

[…]

Since you need more than 2 gb of free storage to download and install your device, and some must be always free to enable sync, you can't install Modern Combat 4 and real racing on that 450€.

Speaking of twisted logic you may want to actually try to understand how much space iOS uses.
  • Reply 57 of 194
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

'I think it's logic Jim, but not as we know it.'

• Reply 58 of 194
    cnocbui wrote: »
    'I think it's logic Jim, but not as we know it.'

And what's the resale value after 1 or 2 years between a Galaxy and iPhone? Does TCO or user experience mean nothing to the value of a product?
  • Reply 59 of 194
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What twisted logic some of you have

[…]

Speaking of twisted logic you may want to actually try to understand how much space iOS uses.

3 gb minimum + 2 free gb for updates.
  • Reply 60 of 194
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What twisted logic some of you have. So, why do I have to pay for a Camera with X photo quality? 0.5X is enough for most people! They only post selfie on Facebook anyway!

Why X build quality? 0.1X is more than enough because it is crap anyway and most users use cases!

I will answer: It's about making a better product.

Congrats Apple. And congrats to some of you.

Apple has so much money, such huge profit margin, and just keep milking it on storage, like at&t and data.

People were waiting for 32gb minimum before the iPhone 5. Look how pathetic the situation is.

And always the same guys defending the same stupid decisions. At least on the other plastic piece of crap you can have your media and documents on a SD card, and actually using it as a smartphone.

Some people don't have a lot of music. Some people don't care to keep all their photos with them. Others just use a few apps. Some users use a little of each. Hence the 16GB version.