Apple's 8GB iPhone 5c offers just 3.7GB less storage than Samsung's "16GB" flagship Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 61 of 194
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    3 gb minimum + 2 free gb for updates.

As previously stated ad nauseum it only uses about 2.5GB from the box and only needs that free space temporarily to store, expand, and perform the OTA update which is mostly given back to the user after the update is complete and the device restarts. Some updates may even have more space available after the update is complete. You seriously can't be that oblivious to how files are swapped on an OS.
  • Reply 62 of 194
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

3 gb minimum + 2 free gb for updates.

Not true man.

The extra space needed for an update is only temporary.

• Reply 63 of 194
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Not true man.

It appears that some are choosing to be obtuse because it doesn't fit their anti-Apple narrative.
  • Reply 64 of 194
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You lost me. All retail* vendors use BASE-10 to advertise capacity and all* OSes use BASE-2 to represent actual capacity. That's why when you pop in a 1TB HDD you will only see about 0.925TiB.

* I say retail vendors because NAND vendors do market their chips as BASE-2.

** Apple actually changed this around Lion for most areas of OS X to read as BASE-10, but the OS still shows BASE-2 in other parts of the system.

Makes perfect sense - it was the Lion thing that caught me up in confusion. Thanks for the info.

• Reply 65 of 194
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

On the plus side, barely any updates. image

Yeah, they get it right the first time.  :P

• Reply 66 of 194
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    How sick is this... You guys are really trying to justify an 8gb option on an 500€ device. In 2014. From a company that says that they have more money than they need so they throw it away to shareholders. A company that started the revolution. A company that uses 32 gb since the last 4 years.

Apple, if we humanize the company, is a liar. That "making the best product possible is our goal" is a blatant lie.

It's all about ripping off people, just like companies like AT&T and Verizon about stuff like sharing your data connection.

Shit product. Shit decision.

I really hope they blow everything out of the water with another line and a bigger screen and 128 gb storage.

But get ready for same storage, same screen quality, yadda yadda. Still overall better than the rest, but the "special" attitude is over.
  • Reply 67 of 194
    Quote:

Apple, if we humanize the company, is a liar. That "making the best product possible is our goal" is a blatant lie.

You're assuming that what the best product possible for you is the best product possible for everyone.  You shouldn't do that.

• Reply 68 of 194
    joelsalt wrote: »
    Makes perfect sense - it was the Lion thing that caught me up in confusion. Thanks for the info.

The change is slow but it's happening.
    The ambiguity of using the same unit prefixes for two different representations within the same industry has caused confusion. Starting around 1998, several standards and trade organizations approved standards and recommendations for a new set of binary prefixes that refer unambiguously to powers of 1024. In 2008, this international standard usage was incorporated into the International System of Quantities (denoted "ISQ" in all languages). Accordingly, the SI prefixes should only be used in the decimal sense, even when referring to data storage capacities: kilobyte and megabyte denote one thousand bytes and one million bytes respectively, consistent with SI, while new terms such as kibibyte, mebibyte and gibibyte, having the symbols KiB, MiB, and GiB, denote 1024bytes, 1048576bytes, and 1073741824bytes, respectively. As of 2014, these prefixes are sometimes, but not universally, used by the computer industry to distinguish unambiguously between decimal and binary prefixes.

I've seen a lot of people in the computer field that would rather have the decimal value change its name but the nomenclature for a decimal precedes the nomenclature for binary by a considerable amount of time. This wasn't a big deal with HDDs were 10 or 100MB but not only does the difference in size grow but the percentage of difference grows.
  • Reply 69 of 194
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    droidftw wrote: »

You're assuming that what the best product possible for you is the best product possible for everyone.  You shouldn't do that.

Let's not be irrational. A better smartphone always has more/better storage. That's evolution.

Cutting it down is making an worse product.
  • Reply 70 of 194
    Quote:

As previously stated ad nauseum it only uses about 2.5GB from the box and only needs that free space temporarily to store, expand, and perform the OTA update which is mostly given back to the user after the update is complete and the device restarts. Some updates may even have more space available after the update is complete. You seriously can't be that oblivious to how files are swapped on an OS.

Who cares if it's only temporary?  What does the phone do when you need the extra space to update your software?  Does it magically create more storage space and then magically remove it after the update?  If not, then your options are to delete the pictures from your daughter's graduation or to ignore critical software updates.

• Reply 71 of 194
    Does it magically create more storage space and then magically remove it after the update?

What the **** are you smoking?
  • Reply 72 of 194
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not true man.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that 2GB is not available even temporarily, you are unable to update the device? If that's the case I'm fine with stating  3+2.

Nobody wants to have to go deleting/hunting for space just to get an update, that's too much work. Might as well be using Android.

• Reply 73 of 194
    Quote:

What the **** are you smoking?

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting this discussion.  As I understand it, the system software occupies about 3.4 GB out of the box, and 2 free GB are necessary to update software.  If you have used up most or all of your free storage space with apps and photos, which wouldn't be hard to do with so little available space, where does the phone get those 2 free GB?  You said it only needs the space temporarily, which makes sense, but there is a limit on how much storage space is available on a phone whether you're storing something temporarily or permanently.

• Reply 74 of 194
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple has $160 billion in the bank and they can easily afford to give users 16GB of memory for less money.  As a shareholder I give them the OK. .... I'd say Tim Cook either doesn't know what he's doing or he's deliberately trying to ruin Apple and shareholders.  He simply wants to keep all that reserve cash in his own pocket.

What a load of horse sh¡t.  You might as well cry to your mommy that your big sister got a bigger slice of pie.  Life ain't fair.  Deal.

• Reply 75 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Nobody wants to have to go deleting/hunting for space just to get an update, that's too much work. Might as well be using Android.

That's exactly what somebody will have to do if their device is completely filled up and they need a bit more space.

I remember when I had a 16GB iPad that was all filled up to the max, and when I needed some more space, I just deleted a couple of games that I had that were around a gig each. It wasn't a big deal, it took me less than a minute to do.

That's the price that somebody has to pay, if they opt for a device with not enough storage to meet their needs. 

• Reply 76 of 194
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Wow, look at that Galaxy S4 on the chart!

Somebody buys a brand new 16 GB Samsung phone and they're stuck using Android :lol:

What a scam and what a rip off!:lol: And on top of that they end up with 8.56 available out of the box! .:D  

In contrast to what certain people claim, that it is techies and those who desire more from their mobile devices that choose Android, I claim the exact opposite. It is the ignorant and those who are either cheap and can not afford to spend money on mobile devices that make up the majority of Android sales and activations. Most Android phones are complete junk and they're often being used as no more than feature phones. 

FTFY
  • Reply 77 of 194
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's exactly what somebody will have to do if their device is completely filled up and they need a bit more space.

I remember when I had a 16GB iPad that was all filled up to the max, and when I needed some more space, I just deleted a couple of games that I had that were around a gig each. It wasn't a big deal, it took me less than a minute to do.

That's the price that somebody has to pay, if they opt for a device with not enough storage to meet their needs. 

Likely if you filled up 16GB there was a lot of "crap" on there that could easily be dumped to make room for 2GB. It may not be so easy when all you get is < 3GB of usable space before you need to start grooming content on the device.

• Reply 78 of 194
    Quote:

Let's not be irrational. A better smartphone always has more/better storage. That's evolution.

Cutting it down is making an worse product.

Apparently not.  Cook is on record as saying that Apple isn't in the junk business.  8 GB of storage space is apparently high end now.  Get with the times.  ;)

• Reply 79 of 194

I just want to point out that you can't store music and videos in iCloud for free. You have to use iTunes Match, which costs $25 per year or something. 

However, I think buying a 16g phone (Galaxy S4) and having a little over 50% available can't really be defended by saying "buy an SD card". It seems like just poor software management.

PS. I believe the 8GB 5c will eventually replace the 4S/4 this year. Apple likely wants to deprecate the old connector and those devices are the last ones that they still manufacture that uses it.

• Reply 80 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Likely if you filled up 16GB there was a lot of "crap" on there that could easily be dumped to make room for 2GB. It may not be so easy when all you get is < 3GB of usable space before you need to start grooming content on the device.

It's obviously easier to manage a 16GB device than an 8GB device.

I do have an 8GB iPod Touch lying around somewhere, and I did manage to upgrade that to the newest OS.

I'm not sure where you get less than 3GB of usable space from though. If the OS takes up roughly 3, then you'd have 5 GB of space to use. And, yes, some of that would have to be trimmed down, when installing a new update.

That's the compromise that somebody would have to make for choosing a device with limited storage space. If they don't want to be bothered with that, then get a larger capacity device.