Apple's 8GB iPhone 5c offers just 3.7GB less storage than Samsung's "16GB" flagship Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 101 of 194
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Moronic?

I guess if you like both the second and any third party being able to access your files without your knowledge…

Considering your documents “safe” in the cloud is the same as considering your documents “safe” on a single hard drive, too.

• Reply 102 of 194
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The part where we do, because trusting the cloud to your documents is moronic.
    Moronic?

It's because of the cloud I trust my documents aren't going to be accidentally deleted. Dropbox is real treat for this because auto-syncs and uses intelligent delta updates to only up/download the changes thus reducing the amount of data and time it takes to make the changes. They also give 30 days to free accounts (unlimited for paid accounts) to retrieve deleted items or previous versions of a file. It's pretty much like having Time Machine over a network but with much less local and network resources being used. I don't know what I'd do without a service like Dropbox.
    I guess if you like both the second and any third party being able to access your files without your knowledge.

Up until Apple introduced the Mac App Store with its sandboxed apps and permission boxes when an app tried to access your calendar, contacts, etc., any app you installed on your Mac could have been looking at anything in your Home Folder and sending that data back to someone else without your knowledge, unless you had an app like Little Snitch to protect you.
  • Reply 103 of 194
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

And unlike the 5C, you can double that total memory for 10 bucks with the S4 and a MiniSD card. So there's that. I know it's AI's wont to trash Samsung whenever possible, but this is some serious reaching. Now if you wanted to compare it to the HTC One, or similar android phones that don't offer MicroSD slots, that would be fair game.

Back to the issue of limited memory on the 5C: what bothers me most is the necessity for a certain amount of available memory required for iOS and App updates, as well as normal use. iOS updates require 2.5GB of free space just to download, leaving the user a paltry 1.2GB of free space to play with. Now of course that only applies to OTA updates, as the memory cap isn't an issue when updating through iTunes, but this limitation heavily bumps against Apple's own admitted push away from mobile device reliance on PC tethering.

One of those $10 MicroSD cards almost melted the back of my S4 it got so hot.

Android users are always cheapskates, $10 MicroSD cards are either good quality and too small or utter rubbish.

I had to go spend $50 on a decent card.

btw, the last time I used a MiniSD card was with a Nokia N70 almost 10 years ago, it won't fit in anything made after about 2005.

• Reply 104 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

But it is also true you could plop in a 128GB SD card in the Galaxy and have a lot more room for photos, videos, and music. And if you really want to gain even more space you have the option of rooting and recapturing perhaps another 3 or 4 GB of internal space by removing Samsung bloatware and carrier crapware. But I do agree that this is embarrassing for Samsung that a stock 16GB Galaxy S4 does not come equipped with much more free space than a 8GB iPhone. 

No you can't, the max is 64.

btw have you priced one of the very new 128GB microSD cards?

A lot more than the $10 "sweet spot" of Android whiners.

If Samsung detects a rooted phone they void the warranty, "unauthorised binaries" they call it.

Caveat emptor.

• Reply 105 of 194
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

You do know the Surface Pro is a PC, right?  You can use a keyboard and mouse with it, you can plug it into a monitor or dock.  The internal specs are the same you'll find in a higher priced laptop, but that laptop might not have an active stylus / touch display.

Like I said at the start, we're talking about different devices for different purposes.  There are numerous uses for these devices depending on the person's needs.

You do know that the difference in popularity of iPads and these things is like, err...

...night and day!

• Reply 106 of 194
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    hill60 wrote: »
    No you can't, the max is 64.

SanDisk begs to differ:

128GB for $119.99 from Amazon (well, that's what I paid, but the price is higher, now):
    http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-Adapter-SDSDQUA-128G-G46A/dp/B00IIJ6W4S/ref=sr_1_1/177-6442746-2783323?ie=UTF8&qid=1395276627&sr=8-1&keywords=128gb+Micro+Sd+Card

SanDisk reports that many Samsung and HTC phones are compatible (S3, S4, etc.):
    http://pct1.sandisk.com/DeviceList.aspx?mid=1021&dtid=6&hdnSiteID=1
  • Reply 107 of 194
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dstarsboy View Post

I just want to point out that you can't store music and videos in iCloud for free. You have to use iTunes Match, which costs $25 per year or something. 

It costs $A10 a month for Samsung Hub, which I found out the second time I used it on my S4 and I could see the music but couldn't play any without being nagged to enter my credit card details.

The phone came with a free month, I don't use that stuff much.

• Reply 108 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

SanDisk begs to differ:

128GB for $119.99 from Amazon (well, that's what I paid, but the price is higher, now):

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-Adapter-SDSDQUA-128G-G46A/dp/B00IIJ6W4S/ref=sr_1_1/177-6442746-2783323?ie=UTF8&qid=1395276627&sr=8-1&keywords=128gb+Micro+Sd+Card

SanDisk reports that many Samsung and HTC phones are compatible (S3, S4, etc.):

http://pct1.sandisk.com/DeviceList.aspx?mid=1021&dtid=6&hdnSiteID=1

From Samsung's website:-

External Memory Slot MicroSD Slot (up to 64GB)

The link you posted is compatible with Sandisk cards of no specific size.

You can waste 12 times the $10, oft quoted "sweet spot", on a 128GB card, the phone will only "see" 64GB, although you could try making 2 64GB partitions with a PC.

On a side note my iPad Retina couldn't read my camera's 128GB SD card until the update to iOS 7.

• Reply 109 of 194
    Quote:

Originally Posted by umumum View Post

apple's 8gb has 3.7gb less storage than samsung's 16gb, because of all the crap samsung add

yawn

ai is really struggling for clickbait today

you clicked, so AI won... either don't click or be quiet, no one made you read.

• Reply 110 of 194
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

One of those $10 MicroSD cards almost melted the back of my S4 it got so hot.

Riiiiiggggghhhhhtttttt.  :rolleyes:

Quote:

External Memory Slot MicroSD Slot (up to 64GB)

You can waste 12 times the $10, oft quoted "sweet spot", on a 128GB card, the phone will only "see" 64GB, although you could try making 2 64GB partitions with a PC.

On a side note my iPad Retina couldn't read my camera's 128GB SD card until the update to iOS 7.

At the time those spec sheets were written a 128GB SD card wasn't available.  That said, the first person to buy one and try it out was taking a risk that it wouldn't work in an S4.  There was certainly a chance that it wouldn't be compatible.  Now there have been many people on XDA that have confirmed that a 128GB SD card will work in a Galaxy S4.

• Reply 111 of 194

Did you "Select your device below" where it shows all cards compatible with the device?

Samsung's site has not been updated since the cards were just recently introduced.

• Reply 112 of 194
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Riiiiiggggghhhhhtttttt.  :rolleyes:

It was a faulty $10 cheap shit card, that area of the phone became very hot to the touch and the card was not recognised.

I can't be bothered dragging my S4 out of the drawer I threw it in to see if the back is rippled.

Here's another example.

• Reply 113 of 194
    Quote:

Did you "Select your device below" where it shows all cards compatible with the device?

Samsung's site has not been updated since the cards were just recently introduced.

So where were we, oh yeah $10 MicroSD cards.

• Reply 114 of 194
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    From Samsung's website:-

[…]

If Android-using commenters on the internet can be trusted — something I'm sure [@]Apple ][[/@] has strong opinions about :D — the Note 3 and S4 can both take the 128GB SD card.
  • Reply 115 of 194
    Quote:

You are actually incorrect for the record. Amazon is littered with reviews of all kinds of devices for the 128GB both old and new. Cards were released after device documentation you link to was tested or written. 

Quote:

Wow, 128GB micro-SDHC for about one dollar per gig (formatted it is 119GB). It works great in my Galaxy S3 and all three of my Android tablets.

-My Samsung Galaxy S4 now has 119GB of fast microSDXC flash card storage available. At Amazon's rather amazing price, it works out to 94 cents a Gigabyte.

-By formatting the card as FAT32, it will work with almost any device that works with SDHC. I formatted mine and it showed up as 119GB on my Motorola Xoom tablet. On my Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder, I can record 61 hours of audio...

• Reply 116 of 194
    So where were we, oh yeah $10 MicroSD cards.

I'm not sure what you mean. I use many (not $10) cards from SanDisk. When I owned my S3 and an S4, I used a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD with no problems whatsoever (same card used in both phones - total of 18 months of constant use). Now that I have a 5s, I use the 64GB card with a MicroSD-to-USB adapter. Still no problems.

I confess to not having read this entire thread, so if you're stating that there are crappy MicroSD cards there, I definitely agree. I don't buy them, and I don't have problems.
  • Reply 117 of 194
    Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean. I use many (not $10) cards from SanDisk. When I owned my S3 and an S4, I used a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD with no problems whatsoever (same card used in both phones - total of 18 months of constant use). Now that I have a 5s, I use the 64GB card with a MicroSD-to-USB adapter. Still no problems.

I confess to not having read this entire thread, so if you're stating that there are crappy MicroSD cards there, I definitely agree. I don't buy them, and I don't have problems.

There is an Internet law, as yet unnamed which goes as follows:-

"Whenever the issue of Android device onboard memory is brought up, a post referring to a $10 memory card will appear shortly thereafter."

It is always $10.

• Reply 118 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleTechSpot View Post

So you'd find find fault with Google docs and other web apps or Google ChromeOS on the same grounds? Just curious.

At least Apple's iCloud use on iOS devices is for the customer benefit just putting in the cloud what is most useful. Google wants to funnel things that would be done just as well or better locally into the cloud just to drive traffic and increase ad revenue.

On a personal note isn't anyone else tired of Google called 5 times a day trying to sell advertising?

I would yes, my point holds for any cloud. Though docs are typically smaller in size and trivial, the same points apply. By and large media (pictures, music, videos) take up the most space on any mobile device, typically GBs at a time... the concept of using a cloud to store and push/pull all that as a primary alternative to local storage, when most data plans are a a few GBs a month makes no sense to me. Am I supposed to preplan all my stuff for a flight? Strategize for when I'm on wifi? Why? If it's just there you never have to worry. The cloud is handy, easily collaborative, and a great extra duplication...little else IMO.

• Reply 119 of 194
    "Whenever the issue of Android device onboard memory is brought up, a post referring to a $10 memory card will appear shortly thereafter."

Thanks.

Buy a piece of crap card and you'll get everything for which you paid (take that comment however you want :D )
  • Reply 120 of 194
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

There is an Internet law, as yet unnamed which goes as follows:-

It is always $10.

Psst, not sure if you've noticed, but you're the only one talking about $10 memory cards.

EDIT:  I'm wrong.  Cash907 brought it up before you.  My apologies.