Apple's 8GB iPhone 5c offers just 3.7GB less storage than Samsung's "16GB" flagship Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 141 of 194
    zandros wrote: »
    I would be extremely wary of recommending the use of PhotoStream as "cloud storage". It's a good way to sync photos between devices, but as it is poorly explained (and thus understood) and may delete photos without user interaction it is emphatically not a good place to store important memories.

Baloney. Photos get synced to your iMac automatically, which are stored for as long as you like.
  • Reply 142 of 194
    Dudes... Yes the s4 sucks, etc. But who cares? The fact is that the 8gb option of the 5c is just a trap made by a greedy company.

The OS uses 3gb, 2 are needed for updates. That leaves 3gb.

In what world is that enough? 3 gb? That's fucking pathetic and a crappy move. A few photos of that awesome camera, few videos, 1 good game and that's it.

That's a bad iPhone.

Apple has everything to use 64gb as minimum. But no, gotta be greedy.

Of course, the usual delusionals who will came defending everything and vomiting a mystical 50 per cent market share in a country where most phones are close to free and contracts are the norm, while ignoring the sad 10 per cent marker share worldwide, will also irrational talking about "who needs it".

For them : shut up. It's about having a better phone, just like with better cameras, screens, etc.

Your vomit of a post must be one of the most lie-ridden pieces of trash I've ever had the misfortune of reading at AI. Truly, you speak for the cretins and the fuckwits of this world.
  • Reply 143 of 194
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Dudes... Yes the s4 sucks, etc. But who cares? The fact is that the 8gb option of the 5c is just a trap made by a greedy company.

The OS uses 3gb, 2 are needed for updates. That leaves 3gb.

In what world is that enough? 3 gb? That's fucking pathetic and a crappy move. A few photos of that awesome camera, few videos, 1 good game and that's it.

That's a bad iPhone.

Apple has everything to use 64gb as minimum. But no, gotta be greedy.

Of course, the usual delusionals who will came defending everything and vomiting a mystical 50 per cent market share in a country where most phones are close to free and contracts are the norm, while ignoring the sad 10 per cent marker share worldwide, will also irrational talking about "who needs it".

For them : shut up. It's about having a better phone, just like with better cameras, screens, etc.

Your vomit of a post must be one of the most lie-ridden pieces of trash I've ever had the misfortune of reading at AI. Truly, you speak for the cretins and the fuckwits of this world.

Don't let him get to you.
  • Reply 144 of 194
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Coming from the person who says SD cards are a substitute for installed storage. Perhaps if you want to store MP3s. Not if you expect apps you install to actually work. Or your phone to work at all after installing a couple apps. Or if you expect apps you install to not be able to access any and all personal data and message stores coped to the SD Card. 

Do some research on how Android actually uses SD cards. Frankly, its embarrassing. 

Daniel,

I did not make the claim at any point that apps installed on the SD card was a suitable or preferable solution. However, it is to my understanding some apps on Samsung devices can be moved over to run off the SD card.  There is no need to attempt to trivialize this additional storage space, even if it is used for music/video/photos.  For example a single album of uncompressed audio files can take up roughly 600 MB of space.  Clearly, the number of albums you could store on the internal memory would be extremely limited.

I find it rather embarrassing that you attempt to prop up the 5C 8GB, but manage to indirectly bring it down in the process.

Based off of the information you provided:

The Nexus 5 16GB (£299) has 12.28 GB of usable space as well as a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (Q3 2013) SoC.

The iPhone 5C 8GB (£429) has 4.86 GB of usable space as well as an Apple A6 (Q3 2012) SoC.

While I think the 5S is a great device (modern specs, great design, aluminium chassis, etc.), the 5C (essentially being a repackaged 5 in a plastic body) has very little to offer for such a high price.  

• Reply 145 of 194
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

'Trying' being the operative word.

Indeed, as these applications will not run on an iPad no matter how hard you try.

• Reply 146 of 194
    Quote:

Yes; one is to be used only when breakdancing and the other is for everyone else.

Sure.  I haven't kept track of the Surface device sales, but I can't imagine them doing too well.  

No matter, there is no denying what the device is capable of, or what it can be used for.  Sales numbers or usage during break-dancing will not change that fact.

• Reply 147 of 194
    I use a crap smartphone.

Just get an iPhone. Job done.
  • Reply 148 of 194
    Quote:

Well they've already pulled in two trolls in the first three posts; not bad going.

It looks like your back to the "disagree with Apple in any way shape or form = troll" mentality.

People are allowed to like Apple and have an opinion that differs from your zealous ways.  Things are not as black and white as you attempt to paint it.

• Reply 149 of 194
    dstarsboy wrote: »
    I just want to point out that you can't store music and videos in iCloud for free. You have to use iTunes Match, which costs $25 per year or something. 

However, I think buying a 16g phone (Galaxy S4) and having a little over 50% available can't really be defended by saying "buy an SD card". It seems like just poor software management.

PS. I believe the 8GB 5c will eventually replace the 4S/4 this year. Apple likely wants to deprecate the old connector and those devices are the last ones that they still manufacture that uses it.

Not true. Any purchases you make from iTunes are stored in the cloud, and you are at liberty to download and stream them as many times as you wish at no extra fee.
  • Reply 150 of 194
    Quote:

Card slots! Yippee! Why don't you petition Samsung for a floppy disk drive? I'm sure you'll have many supporters.

That doesn't even make sense.  Care to explain?

• Reply 151 of 194
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

I think what he's saying is that Android users would also like to have a floppy disc drive on their Android phones. And a parallel printer port.

• Reply 152 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

I think what he's saying is that Android users would also like to have a floppy disc drive on their Android phones. And a parallel printer port.

Why would Android users want a floppy disc drive on their Android phones?

Android devices have a micro USB port that can be used with a printer. Since version 4.4, Google has added a native printing service that can allow printing over wifi, bluetooth, or other services.  So I don't think a parallel printer port is a concern to them.

• Reply 153 of 194
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

I could really use a serial port on my Android phone.  It would help a lot with compatiblity for legacy devices.

• Reply 154 of 194
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

The Nexus 5 16GB (£299) has 12.28 GB of usable space as well as a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (Q3 2013) SoC.

If Google had any interest in seriously marketing the Nexus line, it would change things throughout the industry. Samsung's "Android" devices are larded down with bloatware and you have to wait for upgrades. Google's actual Android phones are seriously slick, and at $349 (16gb) to $399 (32gb) without a contract they're an incredible value. 

Of course if Google did seriously market the Nexus line, Samsung would probably head more seriously towards its own OS and Google would lose its real target: ads and information on all those Android devices. 

• Reply 155 of 194
    eelkeeelke Posts: 3member
    > Apple has long used different RAM capacities to create different price tiers of products

These are not RAM capacities you are talking about, but storage capacities.
  • Reply 156 of 194
    chiachia Posts: 713member

That's true, when you're trying to run CAD software, sketch with the active stylus, edit photo/video in professional grade software or play games on Steam, the iPad can only hold your paper down.

Again both devices are completely different and used for very different purposes.

AutoCAD 360 for iPad by AutoDesk

AutoCAD 360 is a free*, easy-to-use drawing and drafting mobile app that allows you to view, edit, and share AutoCAD drawings—anytime, anywhere.

The iPad is much lighter than a Surface Pro to carry around when doing fieldwork, its battery probably lasts a lot longer too.

Ultimate iPad Guide: Mobile CAD Authoring for Architects

• Reply 157 of 194
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:

You do know the Surface Pro is a PC, right?  You can use a keyboard and mouse with it, you can plug it into a monitor or dock.  The internal specs are the same you'll find in a higher priced laptop, but that laptop might not have an active stylus / touch display.

Like I said at the start, we're talking about different devices for different purposes.  There are numerous uses for these devices depending on the person's needs.

Oh I know exactly what it is.

• Reply 158 of 194
    danudanu Posts: 1member
    Bulls**** Apple do not offer SD caard support.we live in streaming era but the data is mine and I decide what to do with it. Apple is overvalued.
  • Reply 159 of 194
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Danu View Post

Bulls**** Apple do not offer SD caard support.

Yeah, see, no one is saying that.

Apple is overvalued.

Thanks for the pointless statement.

• Reply 160 of 194
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Quote:

Card slots! Yippee! Why don't you petition Samsung for a floppy disk drive? I'm sure you'll have many supporters.

He's saying that SD cards are as archaic as floppy disks.