Apple updates GarageBand for Mac with MP3 export option, improved accessibility

Posted:
in Mac Software edited March 2014
Apple's music creation tool for Mac, GarageBand, was given a minor update on Thursday which reintroduces the ability to export songs in the MP3 file format, while also offering new drum sounds and enhanced accessibility.

GarageBand

GarageBand version 10.0.2 is now available for download on the Mac App Store. In addition to adding the option to export in MP3 format, it is also said to improve stability and address what Apple has characterized as "minor issues."

The free update also includes three new virtual "Drummers" and accompanying drum kits for the genres of rock, songwriter, and R&B. These new additions will be available to those who have purchased or choose to buy the complete set of GarageBand sounds, loops and drummers via a one-time in-app purchase.

GarageBand is one of three options in Apple's consumer-oriented iLife suite, being joined by iPhoto and iMovie. All three applications come free with the purchase of a new Mac.

The last update to GarageBand arrived in November, bringing minor tweaks and performance enhancements to Apple's casual music creation tool. Version 10 of GarageBand was released on the same day as Apple's latest Mac operating system, OS X Mavericks, last October, alongside revamped version of iMovie and iPhoto.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

export in MP3 format

It… didn’t have that before?

Huh, guess it didn’t. Export to AAC. And that’s better anyway… 

• Reply 2 of 11
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I would agree that AAC is better but for file compatibility with other people it is good to have MP3 as an option.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I would agree that AAC is better but for file compatibility with other people it is good to have MP3 as an option.

Yes. It would be a good idea to have as many audio file export options as possible. This is a good update.

Something I really wish Apple would offer would be "smart percussion" accompaniment options. People who play Latin music or anything other than Rock or Electronic music are hurting for options.

• Reply 4 of 11
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Couldn't the same be said for any legacy file, format or aspect of computing?  When something better comes along, Apple usually gets rid of the legacy stuff.

• Reply 5 of 11
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    Quote:

Even cheap, back-level Android phones do AAC.  But I do agree that the option should be available.

• Reply 6 of 11
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bonobob View Post

Even cheap, back-level Android phones do AAC. 

AAC is part of the spec for MMS video messaging, so even dumb phones have to support some level of AAC.

• Reply 7 of 11
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    That's pretty funny....I JUST realized the other day that it couldn't do this when I needed it to.

Never mind that AAC is far better. Hardly the point. I needed an mp3 and it couldn't do it. Had to export as AIFF and then convert with another free utility I found.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    @pmz, could that 'free utility' have been iTunes?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    It… didn’t have that before?

Huh, guess it didn’t. Export to AAC. And that’s better anyway… 
    gwmac wrote: »

MP3 export USED to be part of Garage Band. Like with iWork, features are removed so that when Apple adds them back, it's an upgrade.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

@pmz, could that 'free utility' have been iTunes?

It could have been, If I wanted to open iTunes and add something to it, which I didn't, because my external HDD that holds my library was not attached and I really didn't want the hassle of media folder location defaults changing, and iTunes Match trying to run when files are missing, and having to awkwardly change my "import" settings in iTunes from Apple Lossless to MP3, then finally go back and right click > Create MP3 version, then again Right click > Show In Finder, then copy the file to my Desktop so I could FINALLY Upload the damn mp3 where it needed to go.

No, the free App AllOfMP3 served the purpose of a quick mp3 conversion much, much faster and hassle free than iTunes could have in this case.