Motorola, LG announce first crop of Android Wear-powered smart watches

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Doesn't seem to be able to do much except tell the time, according to the video.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Spot on. My first thought was, It's not thin enough. I agree biometrics is a key component. It's like I woke up this morning and everyone in the USA is 30-100 pounds overweight.

The watch is a good try. More manufacturers should be concerned with quality (like Apple) instead of putting out plastic Googley crap products. 

I expect that Moto's 360 will offer a heartrate monitor as well as other health related info. . Motorola has been putting a lot of work into sensor integration and that one is relatively simple and common. Heck they offered that on their old wrist-worn MotoACTV in 2011. I doubt that fitness will be the focus tho. If Apple ever really brings out their own long-rumored smartwatch the guesses are that it will be health-focused. But gosh it's been talked about for how long now? Maybe not for as long as a standalone AppleTV but for quite awhile.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

I like that.       "shut up etc"   cute.    or the polite form   "shut up, etc. please and thank you"

Maybe I’ll throw a “thanks” at the end from now on. In context, it’ll still sound snide. :p

• Reply 64 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I expect that Moto's 360 will offer a heartrate monitor as well as other health related info. . Motorola has been putting a lot of work into sensor integration and that one is relatively simple and common. Heck they offered that on their old wrist-worn MotoACTV in 2011. I doubt that fitness will be the focus tho. If Apple ever really brings out their own long-rumored smartwatch the guesses are that it will be health-focused. But gosh it's been talked about for how long now? Maybe not for as long as a standalone AppleTV but for quite awhile.

Yep, I agree, Gatorguy!

• Reply 65 of 82
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    All I want to run is 50 miles.

Sorry, probably should post this on a different site! :)

Best.

Au contrair, mon ami. This is the thread to give us your feedback. It's on topic; the purposes people could use for a 21st century watch.

So, "just 50 miles" hey? That's TWO marathons, something I'll never achieve. Half a marathon, yes. Slowly getting faster.

Best to you sir!
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Not at all! A little circumstantiality can be interesting. I too am really hoping for an integrated heart rate monitor on Apple's wearable, as well as an O2 sat. I'm always curious how low it gets when I'm exercising; I assume there's probably an ideal range to be in for exercise. Also it'd be great for sleep analysis. FYI, ever since you mentioned the kale smoothies a while back I've been integrating them into my (almost) daily routine, and they're great! However, I do draw the line at measuring my poo.. I don't need to be that healthy! lol

Haha, PatchyThePirate! :)

Interesting you mention "sleep!" It's so important to good health. I consider it one of the three pillars of good health, exercise, nutrition and sleep. Sleep (Deep) is crucial in recovery of the cells after exercise. 

P.S. It all starts with Kale, Bro! :) I make enough in the AM, have a big glass and then put in a thermos type bottle and sip it all day. I also make another one as a recovery drink after a long run. It's about reducing the acidity in our systems, blood, etc. Try a big spinach salad for lunch and when you pooh is green, you're doing well! And it won't smell! Go figure! :)

Here's a link to Rich Roll making a recovery drink. He was voted a while back as one of the fittest 25 men in the USA. He ran ultra-martathons. Enjoy! :) 

He add's beets, but I think they make it taste like "soil!" :)

• Reply 67 of 82
    Stumbled onto this site earlier. Covers just about anything and everything ever rumored about Apple's wrist-worn device possibilities. It's a good read!
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-iwatch-rumors-features-release/#!Ax111
  • Reply 68 of 82
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The Moto 360 is a very nice bit of tech, and currently my favourite Smartwatch design.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    There's actually working 360 watches out for demos apparently. Video with a "sneek-peek" is here. A few notable not-ready-to-comment items:

-It won't depend on charging via USB but Moto isn't ready to reveal what method thy'll use
    -No price announcement
    -No set release date, tho I thought I caught July being mentioned.
    -Looks like North America only at first and no commitment on other countries yet.
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 70 of 82

You just could not be a little bit less of a sheep. You have not even seen or hold the actual product and you are already dismissing it simply because it's not Apple. Wow!

• Reply 71 of 82
    Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

You have not even seen or hold the actual product and you are already dismissing it… …WOW!

It’s amazing just how bad they are at creating hardware and software, isn’t it.

• Reply 72 of 82
    Haha, PatchyThePirate! :)

Interesting you mention "sleep!" It's so important to good health. I consider it one of the three pillars of good health, exercise, nutrition and sleep. Sleep (Deep) is crucial in recovery of the cells after exercise. 

P.S. It all starts with Kale, Bro! :) I make enough in the AM, have a big glass and then put in a thermos type bottle and sip it all day. I also make another one as a recovery drink after a long run. It's about reducing the acidity in our systems, blood, etc. Try a big spinach salad for lunch and when you pooh is green, you're doing well! And it won't smell! Go figure! :)

Here's a link to Rich Roll making a recovery drink. He was voted a while back as one of the fittest 25 men in the USA. He ran ultra-martathons. Enjoy! :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1AnOvVFK_w

He add's beets, but I think they make it taste like "soil!" :)

Cool video.. Interesting to, uh, watch [staying OT here ;) ] It's amazing how much stuff he shoves into that blender! Strangely stingy with the coconut oil though. I've always hated beets, but might give the beet greens a try, read somewhere that they have just as many nutrients, but without the dreaded carbs (and taste).
  • Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Cool video.. Interesting to, uh, watch [staying OT here image ] It's amazing how much stuff he shoves into that blender! Strangely stingy with the coconut oil though. I've always hated beets, but might give the beet greens a try, read somewhere that they have just as many nutrients, but without the dreaded carbs (and taste).

Glad you liked it....Coconut oil; I noticed that too. I also like to add an avocado...If your blender is strong enough (Vitamix) you can add the pit, too.

Another tip I picked up is if your veggies are organic, kale, cucumber, carrot, etc., you don't need to peel of wash. I guess the dirt is good for you! :) If not organic need to wash and peel. 

About the beets, supposedly they are really good for energy...but like I said, I'm not hard-core enough for them, yet!

Best regards, Bro! :)

• Reply 74 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

You just could not be a little bit less of a sheep. You have not even seen or hold the actual product and you are already dismissing it simply because it's not Apple. Wow!

Sorry mate, I'll dismiss it because it's not Swiss.

Now if a module could be made that holds the smart bits and the crystal of the watch could be turned on and off, then that might be something I would be interested in.

The module could be something like this, attached between the watch and the band:-

• Reply 75 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought this was the polite way…

/sigh

• Reply 76 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

this as in what is being offered thus far as a "smartwatch" from any vendor.  I have seen nothing which makes me jump out of my chair and scream "yes, yes!!!! I need that!! and I need it now!!!"   Instead, all I get is "why???!!!??? why??!! and huh????"

I'd rather have this:-

• Reply 77 of 82
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

/sigh

It’s your fault for having a country hated by rights-holding entities.

• Reply 78 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s your fault for having a country hated by rights-holding entities.

Not so much hated as held to ransom for more money.

• Reply 79 of 82
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Not so much hated as held to ransom for more money.

“Give us the money or the social media gets it!”

“That’s not really an incentive.”

“Er… give us the money or we’ll throttle and cap you like in America!”

• Reply 80 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Give us the money or the social media gets it!”

“That’s not really an incentive.”

“Er… give us the money or we’ll throttle and cap you like in America!”

"You can see the video by paying for XYZ service, you want to listen to that song, read that book, watch that show it will cost you more than in other countries", that's the ransom I'm talking about.

Australian ISP's invented throttling and capping.