Starbucks updates app with iOS 7 theme, virtual tip jar and 'shake-to-pay'

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Starbucks, one of the first companies to include support for rechargeable payment cards in Passbook, updated its app on Thursday, adding a new "flat" iOS 7 aesthetic, "shake-to-pay" and digital tipping.

Starbucks

Immediately apparent in Starbucks version 3.0 is the new design theme, which riffs on Apple's "flat" iOS 7 look with an uncluttered interface, copious use of the Helvetica Neue font and a marked absence of skeuomorphic graphics.

A revamped dashboard has also been added where customers can quickly see rewards levels, available rewards, recent transactions and more. The app grants access to a user's entire account history, including purchases, stars earned (Starbucks' rewards point system) and rewards redeemed.

Operationally, Starbucks packs in a few new features, including a digital tipping service for participating U.S. stores. Because the payment system is handled digitally, customers can tip the Starbucks barista up to two hours after buying a drink. Instead of tipping before tasting their cappuccino, users now have more than enough time to decide if the beverage merits a tip. The system will push out a tip notification after each eligible transaction.

Finally, a new "shake-to-pay" mechanism lets users shake their iPhone to bring up the account barcode needed for scanning at the register. The app must be running for the feature to work.

Starbucks is a free 23.7MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Who is Rosemary  Valarie?  Is she that Ballet teacher ? 8-)

• Reply 2 of 38
    Sorry, that's not Helvetica Neue. Looks like Gotham.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Doesn't look iOS 7 at all.

Looks like an android app

Maybe a little cleaner looking.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Why would you tip at Starbucks? You don't tip at McDonalds..

As it is they're charging you $4.00 for $0.20 worth of foam and coffee.
  • Reply 5 of 38

It is, in fact..... Avenir Next. The same font used in Maps. It's nowhere near Helvetica though. Dunno how they got that wrong!
  • Reply 6 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heroinsmoker View Post

It is, in fact..... Avenir Next. The same font used in Maps. It's nowhere near Helvetica though. Dunno how they got that wrong!

Good eye. The numbers and the "R" are usually very identifying.

• Reply 7 of 38
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Dig the tip thing. That was my biggest issue with going with the app pay or paying with a registered card to reap the rewards. Sometimes just don't have singles.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Yeah, I'm always fucking dying to tip @ starbucks when paying $5-$7 for some coffee drink. What exactly am I tipping for? Last I checked, they leave the drinks at the counter for you to pick up, like any other fast-food place. The only reason I would think that someone might tip is if they were delusional enough to think it would get them a better chance to get in the pants of some cute "barrista".
  • Reply 9 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

McDonald’s sells neither beer nor wine. I’m to understand that alcohol lowers cognitive ability.

• Reply 10 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

McDonald’s sells neither beer nor wine. I’m to understand that alcohol lowers cognitive ability.

I'm not sure if you've ever stepped foot in a Starbucks, but it sells neither beer nor wine. 

• Reply 11 of 38
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm always fucking dying to tip @ starbucks when paying $5-$7 for some coffee drink. What exactly am I tipping for? Last I checked, they leave the drinks at the counter for you to pick up, like any other fast-food place. The only reason I would think that someone might tip is if they were delusional enough to think it would get them a better chance to get in the pants of some cute "barrista".

The employees know my name...
    The employees know my beverage of choice.
    The employees know my vehicle a start my beverage when they see said vehicle.
    The employees provide prompt service and prepare a product that is consistent and that I enjoy.
    The employees maintain a clean and comfortable place to meet and visit with friends or get some work done.
    The employees work Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years.

I appreciate good service and I tip. Perhaps there's a 12-Step program for me?
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

At Starbucks their is a "little" bit a craftsmanship involved in making a nice latte art or customizing your drink in some manner, so tipping could be considered reasonable, but if you tip with the app an hour later the barista isn't going to know who you were. It makes it like an anonymous tip. 

Anyway, I have been to a Starbucks maybe 3-4 times in my entire life and the black coffee was always awful. I have heard the coffee at McDonald's is actually much better but I have not tried it.

• Reply 13 of 38
    mstone wrote: »
    At Starbucks their is a "little" bit a craftsmanship involved in making a nice latte art or customizing your drink in some manner, so tipping could be considered reasonable, but if you tip with the app an hour later the barista isn't going to know who you were. It makes it like an anonymous tip. 

Anyway, I have been to a Starbucks maybe 3-4 times in my entire life and the black coffee was always awful.

Agree... I get not going there if you don't like the product. No one finds me browsing products at the Samsung store in BestBuy. I tip the bartender that spent 15 seconds at a tap pouring an ale and leaving it on a bar.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Agree... I get not going there if you don't like the product. 

I tip everybody but I am admittedly a complete coffee snob. I once sold a 69 kilo bag of green coffee to Starbuck a few years ago. They paid about 100 times more per weight than the coffee they serve in their restaurants. They said is was for training purposes in their lab. I'm actually taking a tour of their facility in Seattle next month just for kicks.

• Reply 15 of 38
    I tip everybody but I am admittedly a complete coffee snob.

Wouldn't have guessed based on your sig. ;)
  • Reply 16 of 38

Anyway, I have been to a Starbucks maybe 3-4 times in my entire life and the black coffee was always awful. I have heard the coffee at McDonald's is actually much better but I have not tried it.

Even coffee at a homeless shelter in a paper cup is better then that served at Starbucks.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Even coffee at a homeless shelter in a paper cup is better then that served at Starbucks.

And you know this how? With that type of comment I doubt you have been within ten miles of a homeless shelter, let alone tasted their coffee. 

Go volunteer at the soup kitchen and then get back to us.

• Reply 18 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm not sure if you've ever stepped foot in a Starbucks, but it sells neither beer nor wine. 

Interestingly enough, nope. But this is one case in which experience isn’t a requisite for conversation. :p 

• Reply 19 of 38
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member

I wonder if you pay through Passbook if something will pop up to tip? I definitely never tip at Starbucks, why would I? Like others have said do you tip at McDonalds or a Panera? No. They have health insurance for god sake and pay for it by increasing their coffee prices by .10 cents in the past. 

• Reply 20 of 38
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Their job is to serve coffee and for that they get paid. They don't do anything that warrants a tip for an overpriced cup of coffee. In the UK we don't tip it's not in our culture. We pay for goods or services, the employer should pay them for their serving skills not the customer, we pay for the product. It's nothing to do with being a Scrooge. I always tip if the service exceeds what would be considered standard. But making a coffee is not counted (or pouring a pint).