Apple restores iTunes contacts & calendars syncing in new OS X Mavericks 10.9.3, iTunes 11.1.6 betas

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2014
Apple on Thursday seeded the latest betas of OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 and iTunes 11.1.6 to developers for testing, with the new software marking a return of contacts and calendar data syncing in iTunes.

13D21

The latest OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 build 13D21 comes one week after the last beta was seeded, and Apple once again asks developers to focus on graphics drivers and audio enhancements.

New to both OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 and iTunes 11.1.6 betas is the restoration of iTunes syncing for contacts and calendar data over USB and Wi-Fi, a feature deprecated from the current version of iTunes in favor of Apple's iCloud solution. Combined with the latest iTunes 11.1.6 beta, developers can now sync contact and calendar data on an iPhone, iPad or iPod with a host Mac.

In addition to the iTunes changes, Apple requests developers continue to work on audio and graphics improvements, as well as Safari.

An earlier seed of OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 revealed Apple is planning to enable a so-called "Retina" output mode for users connecting their late-2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display to external 4K monitors. The added feature can be described as a pixel-doubling scaling option that is capable of displaying a desktop at native "Retina" levels over HDMI.

Currently, Retina MacBook Pro owners running OS X 10.9.2 are limited to a maximum scaled resolution of 4,096 pixels-by-2,160 pixels at 24Hz. The refresh rate is also capped at 30Hz for lower resolutions, making animations choppy. With the upcoming maintenance update, output to a 4K display is expected to achieve 60Hz while pixel-doubling.

Developers can download the new beta builds from Apple's Developer Portal or Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24

Does this mean synch services is back?

• Reply 2 of 24
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Aww, for a minute there I thought Apple had returned the Contacts sync to iCloud that they took away with the transition from MobileMe. Ever since then my wife and my contact list has been slowly diverging, sigh.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

It's a pity that older Macs can't sync calendars and contacts via the cloud.

Yeah, I guess I could go buy everyone in my family a brand new iMac for $$$$.

Or I could just use Google Calendars and contacts.

Still, it's a pity.

• Reply 4 of 24
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    512ke wrote: »
    It's a pity that older Macs can't sync calendars and contacts via the cloud.

Yeah, I guess I could go buy everyone in my family a brand new iMac for $$$$.

Or I could just use Google Calendars and contacts.

Still, it's a pity.

The solution is simple.

All you need to do is buy a new 12-core Mac Pro (make sure you max out the RAM) to use a contacts and calendar server. Then use it to sync with iCloud but also install Dropbox on it which you also use on your other Macs. Then create a AppleScript for the non-Mavericks Macs that save as a Folder Action that will look for changes to files in your calendar and contacts that will then copy them to Dropbox which will then by synced by your new Mac Pro which you also then create an AppleScript with a Folder Action that will then replace the ones in that system that will then sync to iCloud.

It couldn't be easier¡
  • Reply 5 of 24
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The solution is simple.

...buy a new 12-core Mac Pro (make sure you max out the RAM) to use a contacts and calendar server. Then use it to sync with iCloud but also install Dropbox on it...etc...etc...etc...

Actually, buy TWO Mac Pro's.

You're going to need a backup in case the first one goes down.

Simple as pie.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    ewtheckman wrote: »
    Does this mean synch services is back?

Something's screwy. I have my iMac, iPad, and iPhone all syncing now automatically... no problem. What is this they are adding back in? I suppose Im being synced via the iCloud... why would I want it any other way??
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Something's screwy. I have my iMac, iPad, and iPhone all syncing now automatically... no problem. What is this they are adding back in? I suppose Im being synced via the iCloud... why would I want it any other way??

Read other comments for reasons why local synching is preferred. (Or just read the headlines about the NSA.)

Part of the problem with Apple's deletion of synch services is that they announced after MS Office 2011 had shipped. Then killed it before the next development cycle, leaving Office users like me out in the cold.

• Reply 8 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I sure hope this puts an end to the sanctimonious pontificating and moralizing about privacy and choice on the Apple discussion forums. As was pointed out to one of the pontificating offended ones, the NSA probably already knows more about his calendar and contacts than iCloud ever will. And if the Chancellor of Germany can be spied on then his personal data is easy pick’ins in comparison. The constant moaning and whining of these types is quite irritating. 

• Reply 9 of 24
    11001011100101 Posts: 12member
    Contact, Calendars...and......Notes?
    It better be.
    Screw the whole trend with cloud services for storing your personal stuff on other servers. I hate it, and when it fails, you are screwed.
    Look at how it screwed up Photoshop CC. I hate Adobe and how they ruined it all. I specially hate the stupid boss.
    10.9.2 fixed some graphic issues with the 7950 Mac Edition, but I still have tearing and other oddness.
    What about the fact that Safari 7.0.2 is not showing any YouTube videos on webpages?
    By the way, Gmail accounts still duplicates and messes up Mail. Is it really fixed?
    I wish Mavericks was as good as Mountain Lion is. What the hell happened?
    Apple needs a bipolar leader, it really does.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100101 View Post

It better be.

Screw the whole trend with cloud services for storing your personal stuff on other servers. I hate it, and when it fails, you are screwed.

Look at how it screwed up Photoshop CC. I hate Adobe and how they ruined it all. I specially hate the stupid boss.

10.9.2 fixed some graphic issues with the 7950 Mac Edition, but I still have tearing and other oddness.

What about the fact that Safari 7.0.2 is not showing any YouTube videos on webpages?

By the way, Gmail accounts still duplicates and messes up Mail. Is it really fixed?

If Apple needs a bipolar leader then it should be a piece of cake.

• Reply 11 of 24

If that is irritating, don't go there...  simple.

• Reply 12 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Except that everything IS still stored on your machines locally.

Look at how it screwed up Photoshop CC.

Adobe’s history of failure isn’t a valid example for Apple.

A third party graphics card’s failure isn’t a valid example for Apple.

Works fine for me. You must have an extension installed that blocks them.

Google’s failure isn’t a valid example for Apple.

Nothing whatsoever.

Will you say the opposite today?

• Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I sure hope this puts an end to the sanctimonious pontificating and moralizing about privacy and choice on the Apple discussion forums. As was pointed out to one of the pontificating offended ones, the NSA probably already knows more about his calendar and contacts than iCloud ever will. And if the Chancellor of Germany can be spied on then his personal data is easy pick’ins in comparison. The constant moaning and whining of these types is quite irritating. 

If that is irritating.. .  just don't go there.  Simple.  Your needs could be different from others... 

• Reply 14 of 24
    iOS device syncing with iTunes has become a laggy, bloated, slow-as-molasses mess. iCloud is poorly implemented (for my needs). The new iWork suite is a step backwards from the previous one. Safari sucks. Mail is ok.

Features in all these software offerings are added/subtracted/modified with seemingly little concern for user workflow. You guys can say what you will, but many of these software updates have been dissatisfying for me. The primary redeeming feature is that they're (largely) free.

It's nice to see something as simple and obvious as local syncing of contacts and calendars being restored. A small, but useful step back to the future.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

It better be.

Sounds like you need to pay a professional to troubleshoot your system. Obviously you are incapable of doing so.

• Reply 16 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

It's sad that Aple can't drop deprectaed/obsolete features without having the vocal backlash of an extreme minority, so everything will have to remain bloated with every feature the software has had since day 1, because people are unwilling to change. 

In this day and age, why would you want local syncing between calendars? How does it not make more sense to sync through the cloud, using any number of services (iCloud, CalDav, GoogleSync, etc). Do you REALLY want to connect your iDevice to iTunes every time you make a change to get this change synced over, and vice versa? How does that make any reasonable sense?

But no, the people that mindlessly used this because they're loo lazy to update their methodology have a fit, so Apple is forced to add this shit back, adding unecessary bloat for the 99% who don't need it. 

• Reply 17 of 24
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

iOS device syncing with iTunes has become a laggy, bloated, slow-as-molasses mess. iCloud is poorly implemented (for my needs). The new iWork suite is a step backwards from the previous one. Safari sucks. Mail is ok.

Features in all these software offerings are added/subtracted/modified with seemingly little concern for user workflow. You guys can say what you will, but many of these software updates have been dissatisfying for me. The primary redeeming feature is that they're (largely) free.

It's nice to see something as simple and obvious as local syncing of contacts and calendars being restored. A small, but useful step back to the future.

I agree and will add that this has been the trend for a while.

I will appreciate this in part because I used to keep my contacts available as well on my iPod Nano. I know the trend is away from this but iPhones do occasionally fail. They have limited battery life and can die at 9-10 PM depending upon how I used my phone that day. Could I still dial a friend if my car broke down? These are simple things and they are removed.

Apple still hasn't kept their promise to duplicate the functionality of Appleworks. On top of that they have removed functionality from iWorks to chase mobile and cloud based workflows. There may be a time where those other solutions have caught up and can support similar workflows but Apple used to be the king of not pulling the trigger on a solution until it was ready and done right.

• Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It's sad that Aple can't drop deprectaed/obsolete features without having the vocal backlash of an extreme minority, so everything will have to remain bloated with every feature the software has had since day 1, because people are unwilling to change. 

In this day and age, why would you want local syncing between calendars? How does it not make more sense to sync through the cloud, using any number of services (iCloud, CalDav, GoogleSync, etc). Do you REALLY want to connect your iDevice to iTunes every time you make a change to get this change synced over, and vice versa? How does that make any reasonable sense?

But no, the people that mindlessly used this because they're loo lazy to update their methodology have a fit, so Apple is forced to add this shit back, adding unecessary bloat for the 99% who don't need it. 

I am afraid that's a bit too facile. You sound like someone whose data needs are fairly minimal, and/or is largely a stay-at-home person that relies mostly on wifi, with no family.

I'll fully embrace the cloud world when I don't have to pay for every damn bit and byte I upload or upload. For some of us -- not to mention family members -- who are mobile, the stuff can add up very quickly.

• Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

OK.  That is the thinking of a person who only see his own yard.  But there are legal reasons in some other places than your yard.  Many of the problems the world faces today are born in short minded people.   Use the cloud.  It's OK.  I use it too.  But there are people who can't use it for some kind of regulated information restrictions. Do respect their need.  What's your problem?

• Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Said like someone who cares little about privacy.

For example, if we lose our fourth amendment rights in the US, we might as well jettison our first, second, and fifth amendment rights, no?

More to the point -- since dollars and cents impacts always seem to resonate more tangibly -- I think that cloud-dependent US businesses are going to have a very tough time abroad. Apropos of that, coincidentally, see this, from today's NYThttp://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/business/fallout-from-snowden-hurting-bottom-line-of-tech-companies.html?hp&_r=0