Director wants Christian Bale to play role of Steve Jobs in upcoming biopic

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Outstanding choice. He's perfect. Please make this happen.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    *prototype iPod not working*
    Steve: If the company fails, it will be because of you.
    Engineer: I'll get it working. I swear to God.
    *grabs by collar*
    Steve: SWEAR TO ME!!
  • Reply 43 of 52
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why the **** not leave Jobs be? Not a single one of these actors or these movies will be able to accurately understand or portray Jobs deepest philosophies, motivations, and spirit. They will all be superficial, blunt, and ignorant attempts to do so marketed towards the mass market, portraying Jobs in a way that does a disservice to his real character, and his real legacy. What a  joke. 

Good biopics never equal the person they're covering, but they can help spread the word: Gandhi, Malcolm X, Hotel Rwanda -- these films are in no way perfect, but they bring a character and a history to a wider audience. (nb. I do not believe that Jobs's legacy is as meaningful as Gandhi's.)

• Reply 44 of 52
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Bale is one of the greatest actors in Holywood today. He would do gr8, as he knows how to play the character roles. Unlike Ashton Kutcher... he was terrible!
  • Reply 45 of 52
    owen35owen35 Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrENGLISH(TM) View Post

Christian Bale is a great candidate.  But my choice would be Daniel Day-Lewis.

I recall Andy Ihnatko remarking that the problem with AK's performance of Steve Jobs is that Ashton didn't have enough screen presence to be the most important person in that scene.  Whoever has to play Jobs, has to have that ability for the audience to be transfixed by their on-screen presence.  When I first heard about the project, my initial thought was Daniel Day-Lewis.  Any film he is in, when he's on screen, the film is electric.  There Will Be Blood is a perfect example of this.

Bale was my second choice.  He also has the ability to be have a strong screen presence as well as the acting chops to portray such a complex character.  Without that key ingredient, however, you'll just get a stuffy, robotic performance that Ashton achieved.

• Reply 46 of 52
    Here's the best photo I've found to compare the two:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/40273/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 47 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Here's the best photo I've found to compare the two:

Christian Bale is a great candidate.  But my choice would be Daniel Day-Lewis.

It's not essential that the actor look like a double for the real person, just that they capture the essence of the person.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Personally, I think Bale would suck!
    I doubt he has the subtlety necessary. Jobs was a very deep, sensitive and complex individual. Bale is great for high action and raw emotion... the complete opposite of what Jobs was.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member

Christian Bale is a nut job but a good actor.. so possibly a good choice for Steve.  Bale (an English actor) is even falling into his American put-on accent during his on-set rant.  Brilliant..

• Reply 50 of 52
    slurpy wrote: »
    Why the **** not leave Jobs be? Not a single one of these actors or these movies will be able to accurately understand or portray Jobs deepest philosophies, motivations, and spirit. They will all be superficial, blunt, and ignorant attempts to do so marketed towards the mass market, portraying Jobs in a way that does a disservice to his real character, and his real legacy. What a  joke. 

I'm inclined to agree. And there's plenty of fine footage of Jobs that's easy to find. If you watch all those keynotes and interviews and throw in the Apple ads, you've effectively got the story of Jobs.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Mr. Fincher,

If you ever read this, I agree that Christian would make a great Steve.
    FWIW, I have one request. I would love to see your editing team add some fade to back transitions between the acts of Steve's life. The final act (in my opinion), ending with the special Apple celebration event with Coldplay in the background, should fade to white with the Apple logo/Steve silhouette. That would be insanely great. Thanks. - Mike
  • Reply 52 of 52
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Just don't check lights "distracting" him during a scene in Terminator! Nothing but two people and green screen crap all over the place. Like that scene couldn't have been done fifty times over! A fricken' cardboard box terminator--oooohh! The light guy apologized but ASSHOLE Bale would not give it up, the PoS! Maybe had the director screamed quiet on the set, ACTION, then the light guy wouldn't have checked the lights. Of course this was after the director asked sound if all was good%u2026 I refuse to see anything that shit Bale is in. I don't care WHAT role he plays in whatever movie. Typical Hollywood douche! Name me one job outside of those asshole Hollywood types where one employee, and that was what Bale was, can ream another while telling his supervisor to shut the F' up and still have HIS job?

Screw Bale!

Actors as intense as Bale put an immense amount of pressure on themselves.  Sometimes, in the exceptional drive to perform at the top level, they end up losing it.  It's the same as top level athletes.  Actors, athletes, musicians -- anyone who works at the very top of their profession just sometimes reach a breaking point when they don't feel that those around them are also working at or near the same level.  The pressure is so intense.

And to answer your question, LeBron James is an employee, and he go off whenever he wants.  What is Miami going to do?  Fire him?  And there are tons of epic meltdowns from top musicians in the studio.  Etc.