Apple reportedly exploring on-demand music streaming service, iTunes for Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

So Apple is going post iTunes for Android on Google Play? That is a lot of Hell Freezing there!

• Reply 22 of 72
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    If this were the case, it'd be a single or two vendors (possibly HTC), and definitely NOT Samsung. It could be a way for Apple to prop up one of the Android players and give that player incentive to take share away from the bigger, real threats.

Combined with patent licensing, it could be a great way to push forward the AppleID-based ecosystem.

Also it'd be a nice FU to Google.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I suppose it could bring more people into the Apple ecosystem in the long run. As Phil Schiller once said "Once we get people interested in iPods they might look at other products we sell." (paraphrasing)

iPods = hardware. How many people would look at an idevice or Mac because they used itunes on Android?

• Reply 24 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ireland wrote: »
    iMessage for Android. FFS!

Only if Apple could support if with ad sales...and they conceivably could.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    togantogan Posts: 16member
    If they also introduced airplay android, that would sell hardware but iTunes or Apple music app may be a waste of time. Constricting android users to using Apples apps to airplay could really make some $$ and contradict everything I just mentioned
  • Reply 26 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    os2baba wrote: »
    Tell me about it!  iTunes was one of the reasons why I no longer have any iDevices save one iPod which I don't even bother updating any more.  iTunes was the reason why I bought an iPod in the first place a decade ago.  I thought iTunes was the cat's whisker back then because of all the cool things it did (change the ID3 tags while a CD was getting ripped or a song was playing.  Brilliant!).  But all the problems of iTunes never got fixed and it just got more and more bloated with constant updates making it even bigger.  When I bought my iPad, I had to connect it to iTunes just to get it started.  WTF!

That was on Windows.  iTunes on my iPod Touch was also frustrating.  Google Play Music is just sooooo much better than iTunes was.  I have no idea how good it is now.  I sold my iPod Touch 3 years ago.  Maybe it's improved now.

You have no 'iDevices'? Then why are you here?
  • Reply 27 of 72
    mstone wrote: »
    So Apple is going post iTunes for Android on Google Play? That is a lot of Hell Freezing there!

Android freezes a lot, you know. Everytime I hear "DROOOOOOID" startup sound, a Google staffer gets his wings.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    iTunes AAC audio purchases for Android makes a lot of sense. Rule number 1 for good business is to sell customers what they want to buy. I'd use it.

The iTunes app probably wouldn't go over well on Android. The iTunes app is a clumsy and bloated ecosystem with a tarnished name. Even if it could be ported, nobody would want to install it. All people really want is a simple app that organizes and plays music, and there are tons of free/cheap apps that do that very well.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    For those not aware of it Google aldready provides a way to sync your iTunes library with Google Music for your Android device.
    http://www.androidpit.com/itunes-and-android-how-to-sync
  • Reply 30 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Kevin McMurtrie View Post

iTunes AAC audio purchases for Android makes a lot of sense. Rule number 1 for good business is to sell customers what they want to buy.

Apple already does that. It’s called Apple products.

• Reply 31 of 72
    iTunes for Android? Never. Going. To. Happen.

iTunes for Windows was instrumental for iPod adoption, and subsequent dominance of the personal music player market. The difference was that every iTunes for Windows user still bought a high-margin piece of Apple hardware. iTunes for Android doesn't do any good for Apple. The iTunes Store may be a net profit center for Apple, but it's a negligible one compared to hardware profits.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

What would iTunes give them that Google Play/Spotify doesn't?

Answer = nothing. But it is another option for those that use both iOS and Android to unify music on all their platforms. Or for Apple to keep customers using their service even if that user switching from an iPhone to an Android device.

• Reply 33 of 72

Don't hold your breath. Apple has absolutely no motivation to provide any of its services for any Android device, so they'll almost certainly never do so.

• Reply 34 of 72

Why would Apple want "to keep customers using their service even if that user switching from an iPhone to an Android device"? Apple provides services to support and encourage the sale of their lucrative hardware, not the other way around.

• Reply 35 of 72
    You have no 'iDevices'? Then why are you here?

Because there are no "iSheep" in Android fan site forums to annoy for kicks. :)
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Why would Apple want "to keep customers using their service even if that user switching from an iPhone to an Android device"? Apple provides services to support and encourage the sale of their lucrative hardware, not the other way around.

Yes, I agree, and it would be more lucrative. Their device sales contribute more to their bottom line than music sales.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    Or for Apple to keep customers using their service even if that user switching from an iPhone to an Android device.

Apple has made a consistent effort to create a sticky platform. Which platform is more valuable to Apple: iOS or iTunes?
  • Reply 38 of 72
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The at same idea worked well to introduce Windows users to good software, and accelerate switching, perhaps it will work again.

Then again how many Android users are connected to the internet? image

How about all Android users are connected to the internet, it is a cellphone with constant internet access.  Your comment demonstrates your ignorance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If you says so. image

Your above comment was so stupid, this one is equally stupid.  The Windows version of iTunes is dogshit, always has been.

Stupid article.  One small comment about iTunes on Android, and the rest about a rumored streaming service.  The comment about iTunes on Android could have been left out since AI obviously has no information about it.

• Reply 39 of 72
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    The at same idea worked well to introduce Windows users to good software, and accelerate switching, perhaps it will work again.

Then again how many Android users are connected to the internet? :D

Exactly lol. I think Apple should stick with iOS. Otherwise, android users have another reason not to switch.
    I do say so. iTunes almost made me give up on the iPhone entirely. Its amazing how badly Apple coded the windows version. A resource hogging bloated programme that made me shudder with horror each time I used it (caveat this is only the window version)

It is slow isn't it? It's amazing on Mac, you should get one.
    crowley wrote: »
    Wouldn't be optimistic about this, even if it's true; Apple are best when they stick to their own platforms.  Every bit of Windows software they've released has been disappointing and not at all up to the standard of the Mac OS counterpart, and their troubles with web services are well known.  I wouldn't expect any adventures with Dalvik to yield better results.

Yeah exactly. It's not that they can't code for windows, it's just the environment isn't "natural" for them. They don't debug it as much, and one file change can kill iTunes for PC! But apple shouldn't go to android either. Bad move. Another reason for Droid users not to switch... Can't stand Android or windows, they both have the same issues. Apple forever!
  • Reply 40 of 72
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewmaurice View Post

iTunes for Android? Never. Going. To. Happen.

iTunes for Windows was instrumental for iPod adoption, and subsequent dominance of the personal music player market. The difference was that every iTunes for Windows user still bought a high-margin piece of Apple hardware. iTunes for Android doesn't do any good for Apple. The iTunes Store may be a net profit center for Apple, but it's a negligible one compared to hardware profits.

That was 10 years ago.  So where is the iPod now?  Apple no longer pushes the product anymore.  iTunes no longer pushes iPod sales or iOS sales.  They could have iTunes for Android if they ever improve their iTunes Radio service, then get Android users to pay for the service (iTunes Match or a rumored streaming service).  Perhaps Apple has received enough feedback from Android users requesting an iTunes client on their phone.  Did you ever think about that?  iTunes stopped pushing hardware sales years ago.