Apple reportedly exploring on-demand music streaming service, iTunes for Android

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Interesting proposition, seems like a smart move to me.

• Reply 42 of 72
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    hittrj01 wrote: »
    Why do people still think iTunes is DRM? Music has been non-DRM for nearly 10 years now!

Maybe because their movies, books, and audiobooks all contain DRM?
  • Reply 43 of 72
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    The music industry made a huge mistake allowing the "all you can eat model". It's a race to the bottom like no other. Music sales will eventually evaporate completely. Moronic at best. Revenues are going to evaporate dramatically, and in the end it will be the artists that get screwed the most.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    This probably explains the rumored iOS 8's standalone iTunes Radio app. This feature will more than likely be built into it, and include the station features of the regular iTunes Radio we have now
  • Reply 45 of 72
    That just need to let me choose what I stream over iTunes Radio, and I'll stop paying Spotify every month.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

That was 10 years ago.  So where is the iPod now?  Apple no longer pushes the product anymore.  iTunes no longer pushes iPod sales or iOS sales.  They could have iTunes for Android if they ever improve their iTunes Radio service, then get Android users to pay for the service (iTunes Match or a rumored streaming service).  Perhaps Apple has received enough feedback from Android users requesting an iTunes client on their phone.  Did you ever think about that?  iTunes stopped pushing hardware sales years ago.

There's an iPod in every iPhone. Of course they don't "push" the iPod, Apple would much rather you buy a more expensive iPhone, but for those who don't, there's the iPod. iTMS generates profits, but it's hardly the business that iOS devices are (and streaming is likely far less lucrative than music sales). So, where's the upside to opening it to Android? It would take a LOT of music sales to an Android user to match the margin on an iPhone, so why take away a major reason to enter, and stay, in the iOS ecosystem? Apple would much rather lose whatever iTMS revenue Android customers would bring in to maintain it as a major feature differentiator for iOS products. Apple doesn't sell music because they want to be music retailers, they sell music to make their high-margin hardware more appealing.

As for "feedback from Android users requesting an iTunes client on their phone" I'm sure Apple's answer would be "buy an iPhone."

• Reply 47 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    For those not aware of it Google aldready provides a way to sync your iTunes library with Google Music for your Android device.
    http://www.androidpit.com/itunes-and-android-how-to-sync

Oh there you go again, selflessly looking after Apple's interests.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

The music industry made a huge mistake allowing the "all you can eat model". It's a race to the bottom like no other. Music sales will eventually evaporate completely. Moronic at best. Revenues are going to evaporate dramatically, and in the end it will be the artists that get screwed the most.

And Apple tried their best to save them. Or At least the artist. As far as we known there isn't a sustainable Music Subscription services yet. Asia aside ( since most artist there aren't really just artist, they are more of celeb with many other sources of revenue ). 

Now if anyone, it would very likely Apple to be able to pull of a sustainable music subscription services.  However, being sustainable doesn't mean the artist gets a good deal either.

• Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For those not aware of it Google aldready provides a way to sync your iTunes library with Google Music for your Android device.

http://www.androidpit.com/itunes-and-android-how-to-sync

Reminds me of Webos fails to try to sync via iTunes.   Great advert you did though, I'm sure it made a pretty penny.  You do the google witness good, and no I don't want the "search" tower brochure.  

• Reply 50 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Android freezes a lot, you know. Everytime I hear "DROOOOOOID" startup sound, a Google staffer gets his wings.

You clearly haven't used Android.  Freezing doesn't exist.

• Reply 51 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Exactly lol. I think Apple should stick with iOS. Otherwise, android users have another reason not to switch.

It is slow isn't it? It's amazing on Mac, you should get one.

Yeah exactly. It's not that they can't code for windows, it's just the environment isn't "natural" for them. They don't debug it as much, and one file change can kill iTunes for PC! But apple shouldn't go to android either. Bad move. Another reason for Droid users not to switch... Can't stand Android or windows, they both have the same issues. Apple forever!

Android does not have any issues in that you are implying.  And your blind loyalty to Apple will bite you one day.

• Reply 52 of 72

Quote:

What would iTunes give them that Google Play/Spotify doesn't?

AAC is more resistant to squawks, squeals, and is much better hiding compression defects compared to MP3.  Maybe it's the kind of music I buy, but I can't stand MP3s.  At least two songs on an album will have loud MP3 defects.  iPhones don't offer anything I need so I'm using Android.  If Apple sold music to anyone I'd probably make more impulse buys, especially while traveling and craving some new music.

You don't turn away customers because you don't think they're buying enough products.  Apple's walled garden is at the point where it's keeping more customers out than in.  Check the stats.  Ask people with Android why they didn't buy an iPhone.  Also check out how cheap 64GB and 128GB microSD cards are.

• Reply 53 of 72
    Ask people with Android why they didn't buy an iPhone.

It might have something to do with the fact that Apple doesn't sell a phone lower than $450... price is a HUGE part of choosing a phone.

I'm not saying all Android phones are cheap... but most cheap phones sold today are running Android.

You know Apple doesn't do cheap. Hell... their laptops start at $1,000... and that's for an 11" model!!! :wow:

So yeah... if you could ask every person on Earth why they bought an Android phone... I bet most of them would say price.

And most didn't choose Android as much as they were looking for a cheap phone and it happened to be running Android.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Only if Apple could support if with ad sales...and they conceivably could.

Or a dollar per year copying WhatsApp's model.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

Reminds me of Webos fails to try to sync via iTunes.   Great advert you did though, I'm sure it made a pretty penny.  You do the google witness good, and no I don't want the "search" tower brochure.  

What? It's insanely simple to use. I used this service back when I had an iPod, iPad and iPhone 4 years ago because I hated iTunes so much. It's fantastically easy. Download the app. Open your music folder. Click upload. Done. My girlfriend did the same thing for her iPhone 5. If you haven't used it, I highly recommend you try it out. It's free, obviously.

I think being handcuffed to iTunes was what initially pushed me away from iOS. I see releasing an iTunes app as a good move for Apple, assuming iTunes is not as horrific as it used to be.

• Reply 56 of 72
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Absolutely never going to happen. The [I]only[/I] reason iTunes for Windows happened was because it was an ESSENTIAL to spread iPod adoption. The end. It wasn't to "sell more music". Windows users don't buy music, neither do Andorp users.

Not to mention what a huge conflict of interest this would be, and would amount to acknowledging the existence of the platform and doing something beneficial for it....instead of continuing the campaign to burn it into the ground, as they should.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Absolutely never going to happen. The only reason iTunes for Windows happened was because it was an ESSENTIAL to spread iPod adoption. The end. It wasn't to "sell more music". Windows users don't buy music, neither do Andorp users.

In your version of reality does this mean all Windows and Android (I think your spell checker might be faulty?) just pirate media. If this is the case all of the media companies would be facing total oblivion and extinction by now. Hang on there not, therefore I must surmise that view point is a crock of horse dung.

• Reply 58 of 72
      In your version of reality does this mean all Windows and Android (I think your spell checker might be faulty?) just pirate media. If this is the case all of the media companies would be facing total oblivion and extinction by now. Hang on there not, therefore I must surmise that view point is a crock of horse dung.

I'll give you an example. I'm at the gym one day and a couple of guys are talking. They're talking about newly released movies and being able to watch on their phone. I ask them what app they're using to watch those movies and they're like "you got an Android?" I'm like no, iPhone. They're like "sorry you can't get this app."

Of course this is in a vacuum but that's 5 android users easily getting pirated movies, in 2014, on their phones.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McMurtrie View Post

AAC is more resistant to squawks, squeals, and is much better hiding compression defects compared to MP3.  Maybe it's the kind of music I buy, but I can't stand MP3s.  At least two songs on an album will have loud MP3 defects.  iPhones don't offer anything I need so I'm using Android.  If Apple sold music to anyone I'd probably make more impulse buys, especially while traveling and craving some new music.

You don't turn away customers because you don't think they're buying enough products.  Apple's walled garden is at the point where it's keeping more customers out than in.  Check the stats.  Ask people with Android why they didn't buy an iPhone.  Also check out how cheap 64GB and 128GB microSD cards are.

Only Spotify doesn't use the MP3 format.  They use Ogg Vorbis which by all estimates is superior to mp3 and and m4a (aka aac)

• Reply 60 of 72
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member

I'll give you an example. I'm at the gym one day and a couple of guys are talking. They're talking about newly released movies and being able to watch on their phone. I ask them what app they're using to watch those movies and they're like "you got an Android?" I'm like no, iPhone. They're like "sorry you can't get this app."

Of course this is in a vacuum but that's 5 android users easily getting pirated movies, in 2014, on their phones.
    Wow five people at the gym now means all windows and android users!!! What app were they using btw?