Rumor: Apple prepping 12" MacBook without fan, mechanical trackpad button

Comments

• Reply 41 of 177
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    sporlo wrote: »
    I've tried tap to click and it's not as functional or easy to use. With a mechanical click, you can control drag and click 100% independent.

As for no fan? If the hardware isn't severely limited that sounds like a lot of clueless people with overheated computers…
    Shades of Packard Bell. Before that company imploded like the big bag of dog turds that they were, they released some towed that were fan less. It didn't go well.

I bet if Apple is doing this it's a Arm chip. I find this rumor to be very interesting.
  • Reply 42 of 177
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I suppose a piezoelectric fan might be in order. Thin as a credit card, half the power of a rotating fan, nearly silent, and more failsafe.

Could be. The Haswell-Y series performs ok at the maximum TDP, it's around a 2010 dual-core i5:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-4202Y-Notebook-Processor.102728.0.html

The fanless designs might be restricting it below the maximum power but a small fan could be enough to keep it higher power:

[VIDEO]

A few people say they get on just fine with 6 or 7 year old hardware so 4 year old hardware should suffice for them. The biggest problem is getting the heat away from the CPU so a piezo fan can sit right next to it and blow over the top, spreading the heat out further.

Maybe Intel should put tiny low power piezo fans inside the CPU itself and force airflow between individual cores.
  • Reply 43 of 177
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

I called it back in February: "Forget the 12" iPad. There is no usage model that makes any sense…but my thoughts do go either to another device with a 12" screen…"

Ever since the rumors of a 12" screen started, I thought instead of a big iPad Apple might reduce the number of laptop models by consolidating the 11" and 13" MBAs, maybe even the 13" MBP. 

• Reply 44 of 177
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It would be very hard to accomplish that with the current lineup of Intel parts and realize decent performance. If the release is truly soon it is either an ARM part or an unannounced 14nm part from Intel. The really out there possibility is an AMD part made by TSMC on their sub 20 nm process.

The current A7 isn't good enough. Of course that says nothing about A8. The problem with A7 isn't just the CPU either, the GPU really isn't up to laptop duty. If they did go ARM it would be a new processor tailored for higher power operation but most likely under ten watts.

Don't forget Apple needs to support TB in the AIRs. ARM would mean that Apple has the potential to build their own TB hardware.

I often wish intel had assigned the codename skylark rather than skylake. It's mainly because I think larks are interesting looking birds. Intel has been increasing integration. I wouldn't necessarily call it evolutionary in spite of their having absorbed components for years. They have been more aggressive in recent cycles. I'm just really skeptical about such a large jump in spite of Apple's willingness to embrace some minor to moderate specification downgrades or sidegrades to bring something new to market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Could be. The Haswell-Y series performs ok at the maximum TDP, it's around a 2010 dual-core i5:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-4202Y-Notebook-Processor.102728.0.html

The fanless designs might be restricting it below the maximum power but a small fan could be enough to keep it higher power:

I remember you being one of the few people on here to advocate fanless designs. I mention that as an accreditation. I still think it's early though. These rumor mongers like to latch onto whatever they feel may becoming next, regardless of whether the timing is likely.

• Reply 45 of 177
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

It sure does...Apple hasn't made a fanless Mac since I think the PowerMac G4 Cube. 

Don't forget the 2004 G5 with liquid cooling...

• Reply 46 of 177
    [quote]Umm...tap to click? Seriously who uses the press-down-anywhere to click? They should have done away with the button a while ago. Tap Gestures is all I need. [/quote]
    Good luck trying to play any Steam games with just tapping. Or dragging a file from you desktop, using a gesture for Mission Control, and placing that file in another Window. Or having a lack of efficiency of having to tap a second time (or wait a half a second) to un-tap. You get much finer control when dragging with a mechanical click too.

No fan...so if I play a flash video or turn up the brightness, will the computer heat up like current iDevices?
  • Reply 47 of 177
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    pmz wrote: »
    Unknown?

Umm...tap to click? Seriously who uses the press-down-anywhere to click? They should have done away with the button a while ago. Tap + Gestures is all I need.

I've always preferred the physical click on trackpads.
  • Reply 48 of 177
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    But will it have screen burn in issues?

Like your Chromebook?
  • Reply 49 of 177
    I think this fan-less clamshell with a modern trackpad and flash storage is very possible.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">It would be ARM</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> based and would run iOS with a modern laptop UI that borrows heavily from the iPad Air.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">It would also be a very efficient and powerful 64 bit computer.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">It would run iOS applications but display a </span>
    context<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> sensitive graphical keyboard instead of the fixed physical keyboard.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">It would be a revolutionary computer.</span>

I'd have to try it first as that computer is just in your head.
  • Reply 50 of 177
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    That said, Intel is set to release it's 5th generation 14nm Core chip this summer which reduces power consumption by 30% and maybe at that point it doesn't need a fan.

Wow!
  • Reply 51 of 177
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    sporlo wrote: »
    I've tried tap to click and it's not as functional or easy to use. With a mechanical click, you can control drag and click 100% independent.

Just false. It is the mechanical click that is limiting and more difficult. Drag? There is a 3 finger drag for that, which is literally the easiest drag in the world...nothing beats it's ease of use, or precise control....so easy to invoke, and totally painless, as unlike the mechanical button or even a mouse button, you are not HOLDING DOWN A BUTTON the whole time, just to drag something.
  • Reply 52 of 177
    I think this fan-less clamshell with a modern trackpad and flash storage is very possible.
    Yes, yes it is.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">It would be ARM</span>
    Nope.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> based and would run iOS with a modern laptop UI that borrows heavily from the iPad Air.</span>
    Not a chance.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">It would also be a very efficient and powerful 64 bit computer.</span>

Yep.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">It would run iOS applications but display a </span>
    context<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> sensitive graphical keyboard instead of the fixed physical keyboard.</span>

LMAO, nope. It's called a Mac.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">It would be a revolutionary computer.</span>

More than likely, yes.
  • Reply 53 of 177
    narfybob wrote: »
    Good luck trying to play any Steam games with just tapping. Or dragging a file from you desktop, using a gesture for Mission Control, and placing that file in another Window. Or having a lack of efficiency of having to tap a second time (or wait a half a second) to un-tap. You get much finer control when dragging with a mechanical click too.

No fan...so if I play a flash video or turn up the brightness, will the computer heat up like current iDevices?

What is this craziness about drag? Read my post, two up.
  • Reply 54 of 177
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Don't forget the 2004 G5 with liquid cooling...

I don't think that was totally fanless...

• Reply 55 of 177
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I called it back in February: </span>
    <em style="line-height:1.4em;">"Forget the 12" iPad. There is no usage model that makes any sense…but my thoughts do go either to another device with a 12" screen…"</em>

Ever since the rumors of a 12" screen started, I thought instead of a big iPad Apple might reduce the number of laptop models by consolidating the 11" and 13" MBAs, maybe even the 13" MBP. 
    join the club. I said that on say one of these rumors.
  • Reply 56 of 177
    macxpress wrote: »
    I don't think that was totally fanless...

As a matter of fact, I was a fan!
  • Reply 57 of 177
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

As a matter of fact, I was a fan!

Ha! 

I just saw your signature...haha. John C Dvorak was always kind of an Apple hater. I remember him from the ZDTV/TechTV days. 

• Reply 58 of 177
    rajaram wrote: »
    I don't think my 5 year old MBP has a fan.

It does, the vents are just hidden in the display hinge. Run a few Flash videos and put your finger near the base of the screen :)
  • Reply 59 of 177
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I can see a 12" MBA arriving as 11" is a little small (especially at 16:9) and 13" somewhat convolutes the decision for many buyers with the new MBP designs.
    waybacmac wrote: »

Ding ding ding! I believe you nailed it -- except the 13" MBP is here to stay; see below.

Since the price difference between the 11" and 13" MBA is only $100, it's really hard to justify going with the 11" on portability alone -- and paying for that portability with its small display. Could as well have priced it at $100 more than the 13", since price really doesn't play any role in the decision for the 11"; at least for me. It sort of is a Pro device; for those who need a full-size keyboard-equipped Mac with them at all times.
    And the 13" is basically redundant. Anyone getting a 13" MBA today either hasn't done their homework comparing it to the 13" MBP; or is an idiot for skimping on the upgrades necessary to still be able to enjoy it a year or two down the road:
    The only scenario where the 13" MBA is actually cheaper than the 13" MBP is when you're looking at the respective base models. But then you're stuck with 4 GB of RAM and a 1.3 GHz CPU; the 128 GB SSD might in fact be sufficient for many, as there's always external storage (but even that only really works when you're at your desk). Once you bring the specs up to 8 GB of RAM, which at $100 is a no-brainer, and the very reasonably-priced $150 CPU upgrade, you're already looking at $1349; and if you add to that the 256 GB SSD you're at $1549 -- $50 more than a 13" MBP with 8 GB of RAM, 256 GB SSD and a much faster CPU. Plus you're getting a retina display, and even a smaller footprint than the MBA's -- at the cost of a somewhat shorter battery life, and less than 18% more weight.

So if Apple were to consolidate the two into one 12" MBA, and reduce the bezel a little, that could be a very nice replacement for the 11"; preferably at the same $999. And for whom that is too small, there's the 13" MBP starting at $1299 (I had to check -- prices on retina MBPs really have come down!); soon to take the classic MBP's $1199 price point. So there really is no need for a 13" MBA, is there.

solipsismx wrote: »
    I am not sure we'll see the MB line come back as the MBA line seems to fill that space nicely.

I bet the name will return; quite possibly with this very sensible 12" notebook. One model, which surely will become the top-selling Mac (that the MBA is now), one name. The 'Air' has been around for 6 years now (it's been six years already? WTF?!), so it sure would be time for something new. Or in this case old. Well, different. :p
  • Reply 60 of 177
    An Arm A8 MacBook Air, very interesting idea... Great way to start the transition.