Apple's iPhone 5c 'failure flop' outsold Blackberry, Windows Phone and every Android flagship in Q4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 299
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

I already explained the complex thing. Few could misunderstand it.

Mutitasking? Apple has the best implementation of multitasking on a mobile device.

There is NO google device that will ever be on my iOS devices, ever.

Notifications- I get them all the time and am very pleased with the way iOS does it.

So don't reply to me then. You are just the kind of person I described in my posts. Read my sig if you need more help

Actually I'm far from that. The only thing I did was respond to your request. But hey you use whatever you want, there just isn't a need to insult people because their choices differ from yours.

• Reply 22 of 299
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    [quote]Imagine General Motors being upset to find that the majority of its customers preferred to pay a 20 percent premium for an option package that included fancier trim, greater horsepower and a lucrative technology/convenience package. [/quote]

great comparison!... if only the option packages car manufactures provide included all that stuff and a stronger engine!... the so-called option package on the 5S versus the 5C is a far greater value than you ever get on a car, because the option package(on a car) is pure profit. it's something they built into the car but they do not include it, because they want to increase the dealers profit margin.

IMO, apples failure with the 5c was because they did not use the 64bit processor in it...
    but, that may have been a conscientious decision on Apple's part, which also means that the 2year old iPhone five will supported as long as the 5c because the 5 has the same guts as the 5c.
  • Reply 23 of 299
    If you opted to study computing in the last 10 years, pretty much anywhere in the world, you would of ended up on Microsoft centric training course....this has produced hoards of anti Mack computer geeks that have ended up heading IT departments, IT publications and IT investment departments..... If this hypothesis is correct Apple will never able to get it right, it has a real PR problem. For many computer geeks Android, in the face of Microsoft miss hits, has become the new Windows. The 5c is seen as a kink in Apples armour, and as such a target for negativity.
    Some thoughts in MHO.
  • Reply 24 of 299
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

When the 6 is released and prices take the next adjustment, the 5c will be able to put sizable pressure on the mid range presuming they keep it (I think they will). 

• Reply 25 of 299
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

great comparison!... if only the option packages car manufactures did included all that stuff and a stronger engine!... the so-called option package on the 5S versus the 5C is a far greater value than you ever get on a car, because the option package is pure profit. it's something they built into the car but they do not included it, because the want to increase the dealers profit margin.

IMO, apples failure with the 5c was because they did not use the 64bit processor in it...

but, that may have been a conscientious decision on Apple's part, which also means that the 2year old iPhone five will supported as long as the 5c because the 5 has the same guts as the 5c.

The 64bit thing is because they pretty much didn't have a choice. The choice in armv8 architecture is limited at this moment in time. If they wanted 64bit in the 5c it would have probably meant putting the same processor in the 5c as in the 5s (maybe with a small down clock or so). Completely defeating the purpose. It's a practical choice, if they had the possibility to put a 64bit chip in it I'm sure they would have done it (of course there is also a development cost consideration here).

• Reply 26 of 299
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    jungmark wrote: »
    You do realize the 4S is 2+ yo. Of course you'd see more of them.

Still, Amen to this.

Facts > trolls, media.

At this stage in the upgrade cycle I would expect to see far fewer 4Ss. Still it's all pent up demand. Apple will get our dollars soon enough ( I have a 4s)
  • Reply 27 of 299
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    slicksim wrote: »
    If you opted to study computing in the last 10 years, pretty much anywhere in the world, you would of ended up on Microsoft centric training course....this has produced hoards of anti Mack computer geeks that have ended up heading IT departments, IT publications and IT investment departments..... If this hypothesis is correct Apple will never able to get it right, it has a real PR problem. For many computer geeks Android, in the face of Microsoft miss hits, has become the new Windows. The 5c is seen as a kink in Apples armour, and as such a target for negativity.
    Some thoughts in MHO.

True. However these things are generational. Lots of iOS devs and users who will be executives some day.
  • Reply 28 of 299
    paer0paer0 Posts: 1member
    I have always argued that these so-called tech analysts who always predict Apple's doom don't seem to know to know anything about what they say or they are unmistakably confused in their analyses ( I can't remember them getting anything right) and that calls into question their competence. To Daniel Eran Dilger, I say we are both on the same wavelength. I give you 10 out of 10.
  • Reply 29 of 299
    chipsy wrote: »

I use both and see no reason why 'droid dorks' would be jealous of the iPhone. I rather think it's the superiority complex of some fanboys from both sides that tick each other off. In my eyes both are great products in their own right, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

Got to give Samsung credit Note 3 is a very good phone & screen size for Notes were ahead of their time.
    Really love my 5s & iOS but I will never, not ever buy a 4" phone again.
  • Reply 30 of 299

Everyone wants to make Apple look like a failure as a company.  I suppose if you don't like a company you just want to believe that everything they do is a failure even if it isn't.  There were so many people that swore the iPad was a failure when it was first introduced because it didn't have the hardware that many tech people thought it should have.  No Adobe Flash and no USB ports automatically supposedly made the iPad an instant failure.  I think any company is entitled to a failure or two.  What I don't understand is why it is being constantly mentioned.  Some of these people make lower than expected iPhone 5c sales seem like it was as bad as sales for Microsoft's Surface RT or the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.  I'm sure not all of Samsung's various model smartphones sell in the same quantity as other models in their line-up but I don't hear the constant chatter about it.  If Apple made a mistake, that's just par for the course.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  To me, the iPhone 5c seems like a mediocre second-tier smartphone.  I think Apple could have and should have done a lot better putting the 5c together in terms of hardware but I don't run the company and I'm not privy to Apple's accounting books.  I'm just certain that any product that sells in the millions of units shouldn't be considered a failure by third parties.  If Apple wants to call it a failure then they'd be best qualified to judge it as so.

• Reply 31 of 299
    dmsmith wrote: »
    OH NO THE 5c IS TOO EXPENSIVE!!!

Of course in 6mnths when the iPhone 6 is released & the 5c takes up the 4s spot it will drop in price. Over the past 12mnths Apple has earned a premium price on a mid-tier handset before reducing the price to sell to emerging markets.

APPLE DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. SELL ALL YOUR SHARES!!!!

Step away from the caps lock key. Slowly. We have you surrounded.
  • Reply 32 of 299
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quamb View Post

You start to feel like a crazy fanboy trying to defend this stuff.... this non stop hate and hyperbole thrown Apple's way. It's unrelenting. What is going on? Who is behind all this? A simple (albiet very successful) company that makes phones and computers receives so much riducule it's as if they are doing something terribly wrong in the eyes of these editors and hoard of geeks on the forums.

I guess in some respects, they were the same in the 90's with hating on the Macintosh. Still doesn't explain why though.

The answer is quite simple of you think about it. Apple plays by their own rules, not the rules set forth by the so-called experts. And that annoys the experts to no end so they retaliate. Simple “I’ll show YOU since you ignored my demands.” That and the old meme “Success breeds contempt.”

• Reply 33 of 299
    zoso4zoso4 Posts: 11member
    I'm about to find out how good the 5c is. I just ordered one for my wife. A 32 gb for free with Verizon.
  • Reply 34 of 299

@ brlawyer:   so, you have never seen anyone with a 5c- therefore, by your definition, it is a flop? I think a flop is defined as "completely unsuccessful"- perhaps you'd better check the definition again and increase your definition to include more people than just yourself. At least this writer did his research, unlike many others who simply rely on their name, or paper/magazine's name, to provide credibility-  

• Reply 35 of 299
    General comments:
    *I have yet to see a 5c in the wild
    *I think prefer the form/look of the 5c to the 5s
    *I prefer the shape/feel of the 3G to the 4s
    *I prefer the specs/features of the 5s
    *I think if 5s and 5c had the same specs, sales would have been neck and neck
    *I think a bigger screen would be welcome- although I find these 5"+ screens look weird
    *I think the self facing camera should be the same quality as the main camera
    *I think 8mpix is a high enough res
    *I can't wait to upgrade my 64 gb 4s to 128 gb 6 (hopefully)

-random anectdotal survey
  • Reply 36 of 299
    My man!
  • Reply 37 of 299
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

I am Shock!

Someone at HuffingtonPost is really upset.

• Reply 38 of 299
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Notwithstanding AI's great efforts above, the fact is: the 5C is a FLOP, aka the IIvx/IIvi of the iPhone world.

Even Apple itself admitted that sales were not "in line" (euphemism for "sorry, we haven't sold that many") - besides, they were absolutely sure that it would sell well in emerging markets and lower strata of industrialized markets; but they did not realize that the 5S was just marginally more expensive, particularly when such phones are sold in instalments or with more expensive plans.

In other words, Cook completely misinterpreted demand trends just like what Apple did with the PowerBook when it didn't produce enough units of the specific notebook model really wanted by the public.

I have never seen anyone with a 5C - and I can assure you that the 5C will go down in history as one of Apple's major market failures ever; it will be quietly discontinued in the coming months (or, more appropriately, "superseded" by revamped non-5C models). 

What a ludicrously daft post. If you've "never" seen anyone with a 5c, then you must live in a fucking hole. I see them ALL the time, and next to the 5s, its the most common phone I see. When I was in NY it seemed like every 2nd person had one. So really I don't know what planet you're living on, but if you've never seen a 5c it most certainly isn't earth. That, or you never leave your house. The rest of your post is just as absurd and extreme. The 5c is nowhere near a failure, let alone "one of apple's largest market failures ever". You state it is a FACT that the 5c is a flop, then fail to provide a single fact in your post. Do you even know what a fact is? Your rant is devoid of any.
  • Reply 39 of 299
    Simply yet another brilliant article. The analogy to sports teams was off the charts good. Calling out writers by name - it's about time. I often wonder who these sell-outs are hiding behind long-gone reliable names like WSJ, Forbes, etc. who have become the new National Enquirers. If Apple were to develop the cure for cancer, the lead story would be how in ten years time after all are cured, this business will no longer be viable. Yet, on a daily basis social network companies are awarded hundreds of dollars for any name on their marketing list without any clue how to turn these names into real money. Of course, Apple does.
  • Reply 40 of 299
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What a ludicrously daft post. If you've "never" seen anyone with a 5c, then you must live in a fucking hole. I see them ALL the time, and next to the 5s, its the most common phone I see. When I was in NY it seemed like every 2nd person had one. So really I don't know what planet you're living on, but if you've never seen a 5c it most certainly isn't earth. That, or you never leave your house. The rest of your post is just as absurd and extreme. The 5c is nowhere near a failure, let alone "one of apple's largest market failures ever". You state it is a FACT that the 5c is a flop, then fail to provide a single fact in your post. Do you even know what a fact is? Your rant is devoid of any.

Is this enough or you need more?

http://bgr.com/2014/03/13/iphone-5c-sales-china-market-share/

http://bgr.com/2014/01/28/iphone-5c-sales-flop-q1-2014-earnings/

http://www.cultofmac.com/270297/sorry-iphone-5c-youre-flop-china/

Main reason apart from I have already mentioned? In previous times, Apple would lower the older model's price to 99 USD or so, or exactly what has NOT happened to the 5C, which carried a much higher price tag - and don't even come with the nonsensical excuse that Apple deliberately created another product line just to drive up sales of the 5S - no company is THAT stupid. 

Just clear evidence that Cook should have stayed as COO, not CEO.