Apple's iPhone 5c 'failure flop' outsold Blackberry, Windows Phone and every Android flagship in Q4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 299
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Notwithstanding AI's great efforts above, the fact is: the 5C is a FLOP, aka the IIvx/IIvi of the iPhone world.

Even Apple itself admitted that sales were not "in line" (euphemism for "sorry, we haven't sold that many") - besides, they were absolutely sure that it would sell well in emerging markets and lower strata of industrialized markets; but they did not realize that the 5S was just marginally more expensive, particularly when such phones are sold in instalments or with more expensive plans.

In other words, Cook completely misinterpreted demand trends just like what Apple did with the PowerBook when it didn't produce enough units of the specific notebook model really wanted by the public.

I have never seen anyone with a 5C - and I can assure you that the 5C will go down in history as one of Apple's major market failures ever; it will be quietly discontinued in the coming months (or, more appropriately, "superseded" by revamped non-5C models). 

I've seen some in the wild in LA, in the hands of various females, in which they look quite good. Maybe tanned or brown skin helps. Something cheerful and tropical about it.

My point is that Switzerland is maybe not so good a place to go 5c spotting. Further point would be that this phone is somewhat culture-specific. "For the colorful" . . . etc.

I've been looking forward to articles like this, glad and not surprised that DED got one in early. It's always been obvious that the Apple Is Doomed crowd, along with the generally anti-colorful geeks, can't wait to pronounce the 5c a failure. Myself, I can't wait till the figures come out at the beginning of next year, when China Mobile's 200 4G markets begin to show their effect. By that time, the 5c may have 5s innards for less money.
  • Reply 42 of 299
    I have a 5c in green and I know several people with iPhones and see iPhones all the time out an about an guess what they're all 5c's as well
  • Reply 43 of 299
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Notwithstanding AI's great efforts above, the fact is: the 5C is a FLOP, aka the IIvx/IIvi of the iPhone world.

Even Apple itself admitted that sales were not "in line" (euphemism for "sorry, we haven't sold that many") - besides, they were absolutely sure that it would sell well in emerging markets and lower strata of industrialized markets; but they did not realize that the 5S was just marginally more expensive, particularly when such phones are sold in instalments or with more expensive plans.

In other words, Cook completely misinterpreted demand trends just like what Apple did with the PowerBook when it didn't produce enough units of the specific notebook model really wanted by the public.

I have never seen anyone with a 5C - and I can assure you that the 5C will go down in history as one of Apple's major market failures ever; it will be quietly discontinued in the coming months (or, more appropriately, "superseded" by revamped non-5C models). 

What a load of crap.  My daughter has a 5C and loves it 6 of her friends do to.  And a lot of kids at her high school do to.  Most of them either own a 5C or an older 4S.  The fact remains that it outsold all previous tier 2 iPhones.  Which is not a flop any way you look at it.  And if it directs people to spend $100 more on a 5s, so much the better for Apple to sell a more expensive model just as the article said.  The only thing Cook meant when he misinterpreted demand for the 5c is that he didn't realize just how many people would spend the extra $100 on a 5s and adjusted the production accordingly.

• Reply 44 of 299
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

Not only am I seeing the 5c all over the place in malls and on the street in Oz, they seem to have become the default standard for professional women to use on new TV shows (like Rake and Janet King). Apple: masters of free advertising. 

• Reply 45 of 299
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It clearly depends on where you are. Can people say where they here. Here in Ireland I see far more 4Ss then the 5C. The same looks true in the UK where I visit a lot. Even the 5S seems less visible than the 4S
  • Reply 46 of 299
    Is this enough or you need more?

http://bgr.com/2014/03/13/iphone-5c-sales-china-market-share/

http://bgr.com/2014/01/28/iphone-5c-sales-flop-q1-2014-earnings/

http://www.cultofmac.com/270297/sorry-iphone-5c-youre-flop-china/

Main reason apart from I have already mentioned? In previous times, Apple would lower the older model's price to 99 USD or so, or exactly what has NOT happened to the 5C, which carried a much higher price tag - and don't even come with the nonsensical excuse that Apple deliberately created another product line just to drive up sales of the 5S - no company is THAT stupid. 

Just clear evidence that Cook should have stayed as COO, not CEO.

Ooh, another pesky post! What are you talking about? The 5c is 99 USD. The articles you link to are the lies that DED is talking about, are they not?
  • Reply 47 of 299
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
  • Reply 48 of 299
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quamb View Post

You start to feel like a crazy fanboy trying to defend this stuff.... this non stop hate and hyperbole thrown Apple's way. It's unrelenting. What is going on? Who is behind all this? A simple (albiet very successful) company that makes phones and computers receives so much riducule it's as if they are doing something terribly wrong in the eyes of these editors and hoard of geeks on the forums.

I guess in some respects, they were the same in the 90's with hating on the Macintosh. Still doesn't explain why though.

Why all the hate? It’s simple. Apple, in all the surveys I’ve seen, have been and continue to lead in the two most important metrics of all, i.e. ....profitability and usage.

One indicates the financial health of the company and the other is the only “real” way to determine the happiness of the customer, that is, how often/much do the customer actually use their device. In fact, sometimes it seems that Apple is so far out in front it would appear as if they are the only ones still in the race. Certainly the rest of the pack is so far behind as to be almost invisible. This puts a huge “bullseye” on the back of Apple...and no one tries to “take down” the runners in the rear. They’re all gunning for Apple.

The other thing to consider is the total anonymity of the internet. Posters, like the ones on this and other websites can (and often are) be paid shills for other companies, their own blog, or a “newspaper” they work for that usually depends on advertisers for income. Samsung, for instance, was recently exposed as having paid certain bloggers to blog negative crap about Apple and it’s no secret that Samsung spends far more money on advertising than Apple. The wisdom of Apple is that they learned a long time ago that the best form of advertising is “word of mouth” .... and that can only come from a happy customer base, which is why the Apple focus is on user satisfaction. Always has been and always will be.   :) 

• Reply 49 of 299
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

The 5c will do what most people expected it to do when it takes the bottom-most spot of the iPhone line sometime late this year or next year.  (This is really where most analysts thought it should be positioned from the get go.)  It will be a monster entry-level smartphone then, especially profit-wise since it costs less to manufacture than the 4S.

Apple's pricing errors are always upwards not downwards.  If they're not sure what the optimal price for a new product is, they will err on the high side.  You can adjust down, but it's impossible to adjust up if you didn't start out with big blaring announcements of 'introductory pricing'.  Which a high end seller never does.

5c is an exploratory stab meant to smoke out the characteristics of iPhone demand.  Is there a space for an iPod Mini or Nano type product? i.e. a lower featured but more style oriented line that doesn't sell at a large discount compared to the flagship model?  There is no way for Apple to answer this question without testing the market with an actual product.  Seems like  the answer is "Yes, but not as large as we thought based on the Nano experience."  So Apple learns more about the smartphone market and moves on from there.

• Reply 50 of 299
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Tim cook never said iPhone c sales were flat. He said the portion of iPhone 5s to iPhone 5sc sales was higher than expected.
  • Reply 51 of 299
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    mj web wrote: »

Do you read the articles you quote or are you just delusional?

Tim Cook said the 5c did not sell as they expected - more people bought the 5s than they expected. In other words, even though the 5c is the number two phone in sales it is beaten by the number one phone, the 5s. I don't think that indicates a problem with either phone.
  • Reply 52 of 299

That even Tim Cook was forced to admit that the iPhone 5C did not sell as well as expected must make Dilger's (Correction's) head explode.

But... I see the reality distortion field is still strong!

• Reply 53 of 299
    asdasd wrote: »
    It clearly depends on where you are. Can people say where they here. Here in Ireland I see far more 4Ss then the 5C. The same looks true in the UK where I visit a lot. Even the 5S seems less visible than the US.

Agree that it makes no sense to say you do or don't see them without saying exactly where you are. We might as well do a culture study, however informal, while we're at it.

Not good enough to say you see them in the US or Oz. Where in the US or Oz, and among whom?

Of course not in Ireland, England (except for certain districts of London or new age areas like Glastonbury), of course not in Germany . . . —that sort of thing.
  • Reply 54 of 299
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple is indeed held to different standards compared to anybody else. And the standard of most tech journalism is pitiful when it comes to reporting about Apple. There should be anti-pulitzers handed out to many tech journalists for their shoddy and often false reporting about Apple.

Imagine if the 5c didn't exist, but one of Apple's competitors instead had released a phone that was virtually identical to the iPhone 5c in features and build quality and performance.

You can bet your fat butt that it would be hailed as an amazing phone, an iPhone killer! (iPhone killer #768 in a long line of previous iPhone killers). The 5c is not Apple's flagship phone, but it's easily better than all other phones made by any other manufacturer. It runs iOS, which is the best mobile OS which features the most diverse and best apps, the build quality of the 5c is quite good, and it doesn't suffer from the cheap plastic feel that a lot of the competition makes.

And I'm not even sure why anybody even bothers to respond to any so-called lawyers in this thread. Many lawyers are like cheap whores. Even if they knew that their client was guilty of murder, they'll stand there and argue on the murderer's behalf, trying to acquit their client. Right or wrong makes no difference at all. Facts are totally irrelevant. Their job is simply to argue on behalf of whichever side they belong to, no matter how ridiculous, untrue and stupid their argument sounds.
  • Reply 55 of 299
    zoso4zoso4 Posts: 11member
    Many simply wanted the Touch ID on the 5s. It does not mean the 5c is a bad phone.
  • Reply 56 of 299
    trolldown3 wrote: »
    That even Tim Cook was forced to admit that the iPhone 5C did not sell as well as expected must make Dilger's (Correction's) head explode.

But... I see the reality distortion field is still strong!

Nope, he said that the 5s sold better than they expected. I see the affinity for lies is still strong.

Edit: Forgot to check who I was responding to. Textbook new-poster troll, this time in genuine boldface. Interesting that he knows DED is Corrections. Probably a recycled identity, using boldface as a differentiator
  • Reply 57 of 299

The only thing I don't get is why it is so important for Dilger that Apple products are selling well.

He is obviously some basically unemployed (unemployable) loser, who is paid a pittance by Apple Insider for writing laughable hit-pieces. So, he does not work for Apple, nor has he sufficient income to be a serious investor in AAPL.

Why does it matter to him whether the iPhone 5C is the number #1, or #10, or #100, .... selling mobile in the US?

• Reply 58 of 299
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Dude, did you even read the article?

You're just linking to the same bogus pieces called out in the article for being false.

Repeating a lie over and over again doesn't make it any more true.

And if you keep repeating a lie, then that makes you guilty of being a liar.

• Reply 59 of 299
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Dude, did you even read the article?

You're just linking to the same bogus pieces called out in the article for being false.

Repeating a lie over and over again doesn't make it any more true.

And if you keep repeating a lie, then that makes you guilty of being a liar.

You call Dilger's drivel an article

The only use this "article" of yours has is as an example in high-school writing/English classes on how not to write...

• Reply 60 of 299
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Great article!

Re: the punditry ... For some reason I can't seem to recall the SOS from Apple soliciting Help from all these so called experts who are unquestionably more business savvy than Apple. The fact that all these self appointed geniuses have absolutely no skin in the game doesn't seen to matter either. Why so many formerly respectable business publications like WSJ have allowed themselves to be collected up in this mass dumbing down battle against business success in America boggles the mind. One of my first college professors gave me some sage advice many years ago : don't write about something you don't know anything about. I'll pass it along to the pundits.