Twitter to pull #music app from App Store, shut down services in April [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
After a year-long run, Twitter #music will be pulled from the iOS App Store on Friday, while the corresponding service will shut down in mid April.

Twitter Music

Twitter announced the impending death of its #music experiment in a tweet on Friday, just hours before the app is expected to be pulled from Apple's iOS App Store.

The app, first introduced in April 2013, was meant to leverage Twitter's massive installed user base to create a content discovery service based on crowd-sourced recommendations.

With #music, users were able to listen to snippets of new tracks from popular artists, as well as those from up and comers recommended by the system's algorithm. The Listen Now feature hooked into iTunes, Rdio and Spotify to stream content.

In addition, listeners could follow official artist pages to see what bands they enjoyed. Like Apple's erstwhile Ping social music network, Twitter's #music was an apparent flop.

Later this afternoon, we will be removing Twitter #music from the App Store. If you have the app, it will continue to work until April 18.

-- Twitter Music (@TwitterMusic)

As of this writing, Twitter #music is still available for free from the App Store, though operations powering the service will shut down on Apr. 18.

Update: The Twitter #music app is no longer available on the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Could this be the beginning of the end for the Hash Tag?!

ONLY THE SHADOW KNOWS! TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!

• Reply 2 of 18
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I'm so sick of useless fads (like hash tags, which people add to things not using them, and then advertising uses for "cool" factor).

Amusing when some fads fail to be the magic money makers that companies expect them to be (like the music service).
  • Reply 3 of 18

Pulled

• Reply 4 of 18
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Twitter had #music?

#fail
  • Reply 5 of 18
    And this is the first time I've heard about this. Perhaps that was the problem.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I vaguely remember reading about this when they started -- and then never heard about it since then. Reminds me of Apple's "Ping".
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I heard about the #music project, but genuinely didn't know until right now that there was a separate app. I just thought it was some sort of search feature within Twitter itself.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    ryan96ryan96 Posts: 11member
    I downloaded it when it first came out and didn't use it very often. After I heard they were pulling the app I started using it and it's actually pretty cool and I like it quite a bit. It was pretty great for discovering new music, where else do you go to find new #music??
  • Reply 9 of 18
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    I'm so sick of useless fads (like hash tags, which people add to things not using them, and then advertising uses for "cool" factor).

Amusing when some fads fail to be the magic money makers that companies expect them to be (like the music service).

The hash tag to indicate a topic and @ symbol to indicate a username are not going anywhere. An add uses the hashtag because it denotes the start of a topic on Twitter and Facebook just as using www. denotes the start of a web address even though no modern browser and site requires that to be added. At least with a web address the .com, .org, etc. make it clear to most people so removing the www. can be done without losing the ability to communicate.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    I'm so sick of useless fads (like hash tags,

Hashtags aren't the issue. Hashtag abuse is. If you don't use them well then they don't work. Things like putting tons of hashtags, making up your own, etc. Tumblr is the best place to see some hideous hashtag abuse.

But if they were used well they could be a powerful tool for doing searches etc. Like when libraries started cataloging books etc and released they needed a common language for subject headings and consistent name entries for authors etc. Libraries took it a step further and didn't each create a system but one that was used by a broad expanse of sites. There are perhaps five schemes in use world wide, if that many.

If hashtags/keywords were used the same way they could prove useful. Not just on twitter but even google, iTunes etc. Heck even this site. Many folks talk about how they wish they could exclude certain articles. With a tagging system (used with honesty and care) perhaps you could. Or at least perhaps create your own home page by ranking with tags you care about the most.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    thetorrey wrote: »
    I vaguely remember reading about this when they started -- and then never heard about it since then. Reminds me of Apple's "Ping".

I suspect that #music fell victim to the same thing that Ping did. It was set up and then ignored. Ping had great potential coming off Lala.com but Apple didn't finish it off. If they had extended it to the full bank of music, even directors, actors etc, gotten the whole 'share playlists with other users' and so on from Lala actually going it could have been huge. But they launched a few labeled artists and nothing.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    charlituna wrote: »
    Things like putting tons of hashtags, making up your own, etc.

I like to employ a made up, one-time use hashtag on Twitter when using them with sarcasm, irony, or as a general jokey comment. #Whatever
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Here's a hashtag: #fail
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Here's a hashtag: #fail

#Fail is a good one. There is no doubt what the author is saying, especial when using sarcasm.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The hash tag to indicate a topic and @ symbol to indicate a username are not going anywhere. An add uses the hashtag because it denotes the start of a topic on Twitter and Facebook just as using www. denotes the start of a web address even though no modern browser and site requires that to be added. At least with a web address the .com, .org, etc. make it clear to most people so removing the www. can be done without losing the ability to communicate.

The standard of starting with "www" and ending with ".com" is something the fathers of the Internet actually got completely wrong, A proper URL would be com.apple.www as that would represent drilling down from TLD -> domain -> subdomain -> page. But it is too late to change it now. 

I have the same issue with the way dates are written in the US as mm/dd/yy. It should always be larger to smaller which is something the Internet did get right. At least in other parts of the world it is linear even though it is usually expressed from smaller to larger.

Why doesn't everyone just use seconds since epoch when they need to set an appointment? Note to self, meet wife for lunch at 1395606785. /s 

• Reply 16 of 18
    mstone wrote: »
    The standard of starting with "www" and ending with ".com" is something the fathers of the Internet actually got completely wrong, A proper URL would be com.apple.www as that would represent drilling down from TLD -> domain -> subdomain -> page. But it is too late to change it now.

I think Tim Berners-Lee has said he should have done that way if he could do it again. I think he's also commented on the :// as being too verbose.
    I have the same issue with the way dates are written in the US as mm/dd/yy. It should always be larger to smaller which is something the Internet did get right. At least in other parts of the world it is linear even though it is usually expressed from smaller to larger.

It's always struck me as weird to put the month before the day. I usually write my dates with this format (22-MAR-2014) and a three-letter month, unless forced to use the "American" standard on a form, since it's easier to read smaller to larger increments, but in Finder for work I create dated folders where I use 2014.03.22 since it's auto-organizes that way.
    Why doesn't everyone just use seconds since epoch when they need to set an appointment? Note to self, meet wife for lunch at 1395606785. /s 

Watch out for the Year 2038 Problem

• Reply 17 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Watch out for the Year 2028 Problem

I was unaware of that issue. Thanks for the tip.

Perhaps I'll get into the survival tools and supplies business and make a killing on the doomsdayers like in Y2K. 8-)

• Reply 18 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was unaware of that issue. Thanks for the tip.

Perhaps I’ll get into the survival tools and supplies business and make a killing on the doomsdayers like in Y2K. 8-)

Don’t joke around about that.

If Microsoft isn’t bankrupted by then, new versions of Windows sold in 2038 still won’t be fully 64-bit.