Apple's iPhone 5c 'failure flop' outsold Blackberry, Windows Phone and every Android flagship in Q4

Comments

• Reply 201 of 299
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Slicksim View Post

not sure where morons came into the discussion?

Anyone who went against you! How does anyone look at the numbers, see one thing, and claim something else?

• Reply 202 of 299
    Nice to see a balanced article. We traded in a 4S and got a 5s for about $150 net last year. This year we'll trade in a 5 to finally get a large screen 6. The 4s gets refurbished and resold. Advised a non-techie friend to replace a 4 with a 5c for less than the cost of replacing the battery. Anyone I know who switched to android from Apple comes back. My big gripes were the screen size and memory scam. If Apple wants to look forward they'll include a memory slot in the 6. Their strategy now gives them multiple price points and a product life of 5 to 7 years. Not bad. I was skeptical of the watch thing, but if "Healthgrades" is visionary, I'm in. I'm holding my Apple shares. Might buy a few more on dips.
  • Reply 203 of 299
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bondm16 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how, when the 5C managed to outsell Blackberry, Windows Phone and every Android flagship in Q4, this still happens http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/20/winners-2013-engadget-awards-readers-choice/

"Readers choice" gives it away. 5C owners rarely go on tech blogs.
  • Reply 204 of 299
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Once again, it's par for the course that most of Apple's "flops" are the envy of the rest of the industry.

I'll bet that Volkswagen's biggest flop still sells more than any Ferrari.  But the analysts don't seem to know that.

• Reply 205 of 299
    It's all about context really. I don't necessarily think the 5C was a flop, it just didn't sell the way Apple expected. This much is clear by Cook's comments. Whether or not it was a failure cannot be determined by a bunch of fan boys or tech blogging haters. If the line is discontinued this fall, I'll take that as a "flop" by the only group that matters, the manufacturer.

As far as DED's sales comparison, I think it's a load of bull. Smartphone release cycles have become like box office numbers. It's not very indicative of success or failure to compare this weekend's release $$ (for even a crappy movie), with one that was released a over six months ago. If Frozen makes more money this weekend than a movie that was released this weekend, the story is "6 month old movie outperforms new studio release", not the other way around..flame on fan boys!
  • Reply 206 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone who went against you! How does anyone look at the numbers, see one thing, and claim something else?

It's really funny why someone might say that the 5c isn't "currently" the 2nd best selling smart phone in the US.

Oh... wait...

• Reply 207 of 299
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chez Whitey View Post

Got to give Samsung credit Note 3 is a very good phone & screen size for Notes were ahead of their time.

Really love my 5s & iOS but I will never, not ever buy a 4" phone again.

Nope no credits to them, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (in case you lost the S-Pen) is a terrible phone = when you take that thing from your pocket and hold it close to ear to make a call in public you don't look smart at all 

• Reply 208 of 299
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

it is JUST you

As well as people in Italy and 23 other countries

• Reply 209 of 299
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Nope no credits to them, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (in case you lost the S-Pen) is a terrible phone = when you take that thing from your pocket and hold it close to ear to make a call in public you don't look smart at all 

Will you still say that if Apple brings out its first phablet with a 5" plus screen??

• Reply 210 of 299

I see a bright future for iPhone 5c and this is coming from someone who hated this phone

• Reply 211 of 299
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Will you still say that if Apple brings out its first phablet with a 5" plus screen??

You mean an iPhone the size of Samsung Galaxy S3 aka phablet? Yes! 

• Reply 212 of 299
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It's all about context really. I don't necessarily think the 5C was a flop, it just didn't sell the way Apple expected. This much is clear by Cook's comments. Whether or not it was a failure cannot be determined by a bunch of fan boys or tech blogging haters. If the line is discontinued this fall, I'll take that as a "flop" by the only group that matters, the manufacturer.

As far as DED's sales comparison, I think it's a load of bull. Smartphone release cycles have become like box office numbers. It's not very indicative of success or failure to compare this weekend's release $$ (for even a crappy movie), with one that was released a over six months ago. If Frozen makes more money this weekend than a movie that was released this weekend, the story is "6 month old movie outperforms new studio release", not the other way around..flame on fan boys!

So facts are bull? So when the iPhone beats a newly released galaxy whatever, does than mean the galaxy whatever is a failure?
  • Reply 213 of 299
    Last Christmas I was in London for a trip and I saw more people using iPhone 5c than any other iPhone model.
  • Reply 214 of 299
    Thank you, Mr. Dilger, for wielding the flaming sword of truth.
  • Reply 215 of 299
    eric38 wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this the other day; about how the 5c has probably outsold every other phone on the market, yet it's considered a "failure," instead of just missing expected sales figures. Cook should be thrilled that Apple released a cheaper phone, and the vast majority of consumers decided "no thanks, we'll spend the extra $100 plus for your higher quality iPhone."

And yet, even you have been infected with the mantra of 'missing sales expectations', expectations which were never revealed by Apple and haven't been revealed to date.
  • Reply 216 of 299
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Notwithstanding AI's great efforts above, the fact is: the 5C is a FLOP, aka the IIvx/IIvi of the iPhone world.

Even Apple itself admitted that sales were not "in line" (euphemism for "sorry, we haven't sold that many") - besides, they were absolutely sure that it would sell well in emerging markets and lower strata of industrialized markets; but they did not realize that the 5S was just marginally more expensive, particularly when such phones are sold in instalments or with more expensive plans.

In other words, Cook completely misinterpreted demand trends just like what Apple did with the PowerBook when it didn't produce enough units of the specific notebook model really wanted by the public.

I have never seen anyone with a 5C - and I can assure you that the 5C will go down in history as one of Apple's major market failures ever; it will be quietly discontinued in the coming months (or, more appropriately, "superseded" by revamped non-5C models). 

You perpetuate the lie that DED alluded to. I suggest you exorcize that demon from within you.
  • Reply 217 of 299
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Thank you, Mr. Dilger, for wielding the flaming sword of truth.

You perpetuate the lie that DED alluded to. I suggest you exorcize that demon from within you.

Please Daddy, please tell us the story of how Steve Jobs was crucified on Mt. Cupertino, please...

• Reply 218 of 299
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's really funny why someone might say that the 5c isn't "currently" the 2nd best selling smart phone in the US.

Oh... wait...

Ha ha.  Well, in looking at the data DED linked the 5c was the second best selling phone on 3 of the 12 carrier quarters with S4 beating it 9 of 12.  The 5c took those 3 spots during the normal Apple spike when they release new products, and in the same quarter it was released it quickly tapered off to currently being beaten by the aging year old S4 on all US carriers again, but it has a lock on third place on all 4 carriers.  That really isn't shabby at all.

That does put a little bit of a damper on the article's momentum as presented, but the 5c did outsell the S4 for the quarter because in the one month that it did well it did really really well.  And it probably still is outselling all Win Phones and Blackberry phones *combined*!!  Out of all the phones out there, though, being the third best seller is still extremely good.

• Reply 219 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Ha ha.  Well, in looking at the data DED linked the 5c was the second best selling phone on 3 of the 12 carrier quarters with S4 beating it 9 of 12.  The 5c took those 3 spots during the normal Apple spike when they release new products, and in the same quarter it was released it quickly tapered off to currently being beaten by the aging year old S4 on all US carriers again, but it has a lock on third place on all 4 carriers.  That really isn't shabby at all.

That does put a little bit of a damper on the article's momentum as presented, but the 5c did outsell the S4 for the quarter because in the one month that it did well it did really really well.  And it probably still is outselling all Win Phones and Blackberry phones *combined*!!  Out of all the phones out there, though, being the third best seller is still extremely good.

Sure... third place is still very good... but it is definitely not 2nd... at least in November.

(some new stats from Cannacord should be arriving shortly)

• Reply 220 of 299
    tbell wrote: »
    Tim cook never said iPhone c sales were flat. He said the portion of iPhone 5s to iPhone 5sc sales was higher than expected.

Well, he never even said that; it's just the presumption we make. If you talk about missing expectations, you're making a negative value judgement. Which in the case of the 5s and 5c is absurd. If you market a phone and a cheaper phone, and it turns out that the more expensive phone sells much better, you're likely to be very pleased if it means that your profits are also much improved. As Tim Cook said, "Different" —which doesn't equate to 'disappointed' or 'failed' which is what 'missed expectations' implies as dishonestly spouted by the men sited in Mr. Dilger's article.