Apple reportedly exploring on-demand music streaming service, iTunes for Android

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The only reason Apple made itunes for Windows is you needed a PC to use an iPod and most people used a Windows PC. How does itunes on Android sell Apple hardware.

Probably doesn't, not directly anyway; the idea is to sell music. Apple does have one of the largest music libraries, if not THE largest, and has the clout to get the first shot at exclusive new album releases. Any other Beyonce fans here? And don't forget iTunes Festival - some damn good shows there.

• Reply 62 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    hillstones wrote: »
    How about all Android users are connected to the internet, it is a cellphone with constant internet access.  Your comment demonstrates your ignorance.
    Your above comment was so stupid, this one is equally stupid.  The Windows version of iTunes is dogshit, always has been.

Well you are such a pleasant fellow aren't you. I will explain.

I was referring to the fact that iOS totally dominates internet traffic yet is apparently out numbered a zillion to 1 if you believe the media by Android devices. Hence my comment ... it was poking fun at the media ...think about it, simple math means a lot of Android devices seem to not be connected ... get it? It's a well known joke amongst Apple folks, that given the internet data, most Android devices must be under beds collecting dust or playing Angry Birds ...

Second point. I'd say in fact it's Windows that's 'dogshit' . I suspect most iTune issues are really more to do with screwed up Windows, Virus protection software and the like. Remember the saying about Windows ... 'Plug and pray' ;)
  • Reply 63 of 72
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Wmp is not the topic being discussed. If and its a big if Apple make a itunes android version, if its not any good then it wont enhance their reputation to android users.

we were discussing iTunes being introduced as quality software to Windows users. before iTunes we were struggling with the horror of WMP. switching to iTunes was a Godsend to us! and switching to a mac and using iTunes was jaw dropping.

Everything on Windows will suck. That's a given.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

That was 10 years ago.  So where is the iPod now?

Let’s see. iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod classic, iPhone, iPad, oh, and on every single computer that runs OS X.

You blind?

iTunes no longer pushes iPod sales or iOS sales.

iTunes stopped pushing hardware sales years ago.

[citation needed, but will never be provided, because it isn’t true]

Perhaps Apple has received enough feedback from Android users

1. They couldn’t care less about feedback from Android users.

2. There is nowhere for Android users to submit “feedback”. Apple offers no products or services associated with Android. Apple does not acknowledge that Android exists. Apple SHOULD NOT acknowledge that Android exists.

Do you have any idea how many idiots would whore “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”?

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

In your version of reality does this mean all Windows and Android (I think your spell checker might be faulty?) just pirate media.

Sounds like a pathetic attempt at a strawman argument to me. From you, that is.

• Reply 65 of 72
    Wow five people at the gym now means all windows and android users!!! What app were they using btw?
    Didn't say all users pirate media just relaying the fact that it is easy to do on Android and I did note that it was only an observation of 5 users in a vacuum. I do not know which app it was. Nice exclamation points.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    robertsm wrote: »
    I don't listen to much radio anymore but what's the big difference between iTunes Radio and this Spotify like streaming service? Seems like the same thing to me. Pick a band it plays them.

Wouldn't it make sense for apple to somehow let us iTunes Radio w/o a data charge? Hook your iPhone up to your car stereo through a USB and listen on the road with no data charge. Why can't apple do that?

Because:
    a) Apple has no clout with the wireless carriers. Sure they could become their own MVNO, but you'd still be charged 10 cents a kilobyte. They can only pass on the charges they are charged.
    b) Spotify, Pandora, Rdio, etc have to pay pennies each time a song is played, regardless if you listen to it. So does Apple. A monthly service does not cover that cost, because everyone wants a cut. Why do you think the majority of the music on these services are cover versions? If Apple can make it so that they have more clout over the music companies, then they can eliminate more of the middle-man overhead by dealing with them directly instead of third party licencing agencies.

How did you think radio works? Some people sitting in an office playing retail CD's ? No no no. They have a license to use specific cd's that are given to them. They can't go out and rip their own to stream. 4G data also isn't seamless. Try streaming a any of those services while you're out in North Dakota. There isn't even 2.5G data out there, it's GPRS/EDGE, and only when you're in the towns. You need to have LTE access to stream high quality radio due to latency reasons, but better yet, have the radio station push the next song in the playlist when data is available or loop back to what has already been downloaded when data is not available.

What people seem to forget is that good quality mobile data is only available for about 5 miles outside of major population centers, that's generally good enough for commuters but not for travelers.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    iTunes for Android is going to be a big mistake for Apple, in my opinion. Rather than driving Android users to iOS, it will make the switch from iOS to Android much easier.
    BTW, where's Apple "going thermonuclear war on Android" in all this?
  • Reply 68 of 72
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Let’s see. iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod classic, iPhone, iPad, oh, and on every single computer that runs OS X.

You blind?

[citation needed, but will never be provided, because it isn’t true]

1. They couldn’t care less about feedback from Android users.

2. There is nowhere for Android users to submit “feedback”. Apple offers no products or services associated with Android. Apple does not acknowledge that Android exists. Apple SHOULD NOT acknowledge that Android exists.

Do you have any idea how many idiots would whore “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”?

Sounds like a pathetic attempt at a strawman argument to me. From you, that is.

it may be a pathetic strawman argument from me but I was just responding to an anecdotal example that inferred that all android users pirated.  My inference may be due to my (mis)understanding of the post or its intent

• Reply 69 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ireland wrote: »
    Or a dollar per year copying WhatsApp's model.

Possibly, although I understand WhatsApp was still losing money until they were bought by Facebook. Now they'll just be folded in and their losses will be papered over with Facebook's ad revenue.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

There is often a fair bit of hoo-hah about Apple being dependent on the iPhone for 50%+ of its revenues.  As iTunes is a healthy business expanding it for some corporate diversification could be seen as a sensible move.

I don't think iTunes as a music and video store offers a whole lot of tie-in value any more; iPod is slowly but surely dying and iOS gets more of its value from the app store ecosystem, and by being the better mobile computing operating system for many.  Apple TV still gets some of that tie-in value, but I think we're only talking about expanding the iTunes Store to Android smartphones, not the whole Android ecosystem.  iTunes as a product in itself could still offer a lot of value as a music vending product on other mobile platforms, as it has proved on desktop Windows.

Since the music element of iTunes is DRM-free anyway, I think this could be a good move, if Apple can deliver a good product.  Experience with Apple-developed Windows programs casts some doubt, but I'm sure they could deliver if they put enough backing behind the initiative.

• Reply 71 of 72
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    What if iTunes for android was really the soft diplomacy way to link an Apple account to an android device so that if Apple rolls out a mobile payment system it is functional across ~100% of mobile devices instead of just iOS (or just android).

Mobile payments have been technically feasible for a while but past and current implementations leave a lot to be desired in terms of security, ease of use and rate of adoption. Note that Apple has a proven track in these areas.

And Apple is in a relatively unique position of having the clout to take on credit card companies, play them off against one another and negotiate their way into a cut of the transaction fee.

Providing strong incentives to get merchants on board could also be a helpful step towards improving Maps POI data.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dunks wrote: »
    What if iTunes for android was really the soft diplomacy way to link an Apple account to an android device so that if Apple rolls out a mobile payment system it is functional across ~100% of mobile devices instead of just iOS (or just android).

Mobile payments have been technically feasible for a while but past and current implementations leave a lot to be desired in terms of security, ease of use and rate of adoption. Note that Apple has a proven track in these areas.

And Apple is in a relatively unique position of having the clout to take on credit card companies, play them off against one another and negotiate their way into a cut of the transaction fee.

Providing strong incentives to get merchants on board could also be a helpful step towards improving Maps POI data.

I think you've got it. If Apple is in fact working on iTunes for Android, this theory makes a lot of sense.