Google Photowall turns your TV into a crowdsourced pinboard, Loopy HD goes half-off

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Two interesting developments hit the App Store over the weekend, as Google's new Photowall app lets iPhone owners beam photos from their handset to their TV using the company's Chromecast streaming stick, while Loopy HD is now 50% off after being featured on The Tonight Show.

Google Photowall

Google Photowall

Google Photowall for Chromecast is a simple app that allows iPhone owners to turn their Chromecast-equipped television into a crowdsourced, interactive pinboard. After launching a photowall using the app, anyone connected to the same network can beam additional photos to the display instantaneously.

Users can also make simple annotations to photos before posting them using the app's built-in painting tools. At the end of the photowall session, users can have a video of every photo automatically generated and uploaded to YouTube for sharing.

Google Photowall for Chromecast version 1.0 is available now as a free, 2.9-megabyte download from the App Store.

Loopy HD

Loopy HD

Loopy HD is a software looping app that allows users to record and mix multitrack audio on the iPad using a simple interface. After the app was featured on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, developers A Tasty Pixel are offering a 50 percent discount on Loopy HD for a limited time.

Users can work with up to twelve loops at once, and the app offers MIDI control support as well as support for beat multiples and fractions. Users can import loops from their computer or record them live, and the app supports full stereo audio.

Additionally, Loopy HD will work with any Audiobus-enabled app as well as others that support audio copy-and-paste.

Loopy HD version 1.4.7 is available now as a $3.99, 14.4-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Doesn't much of this already happen on the Apple TV via iCloud photo sharing?
  • Reply 2 of 67
    Queue the "Don't want, will never use" anti-Google posts....
  • Reply 3 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Cue the "Don't want, will never use" anti-Google posts....

I see a single use for the Google thing: parties. That is, a single use case. There’s zero point to it otherwise, and most party-goers won’t care.

• Reply 4 of 67
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see a single use for the Google thing: parties. That is, a single use case. There’s zero point to it otherwise, and most party-goers won’t care.

Actually the only use I can see for this as a demo for what you can do with your Chromecast.  "Look we can all post photos to the TV!"  "Dude, I want to watch the game; I'll look at your stupid pictures on my own time online."

• Reply 5 of 67
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    Seems really dumb.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Queue the "Don't want, will never use" anti-Google posts....

I don't want, and I will never use this.

I already have an Apple TV and I have zero intentions of buying an inferior chromecast. Why downgrade when you can upgrade?

I can already stream and mirror whatever i want to my tvs and to my computers using airplay.

The other day I was mirroring two ipads at once over to my computer, with both iPads showing up perfectly on the computer.

• Reply 7 of 67
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

The lengths that companies like Google and Samsung go to come off as being "cool" is laughable.  They put lipstick on a pig and hope people will think it's the next supermodel.  Pathetic.

Google's app is great if you're hosting a party for misfit kids.  Other than that, it will be forgotten in a week.

• Reply 8 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I already have an Apple TV and I have zero intentions of buying an inferior chromecast. Why downgrade when you can upgrade?

Agreed. I am guessing there must be quite a few Androiders out there for whom an extra $64 (despite all the added functionality) must be the end of the world.

• Reply 9 of 67
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't want, and I will never use this.

I can already stream and mirror whatever i want to my tvs and to my computers using airplay.

The other day I was mirroring two ipads at once over to my computer, with both iPads showing up perfectly on the computer.

Surprisingly, the target market of non-Apple products is not 'people who exclusively use Apple products'.

• Reply 10 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Agreed. I am guessing there must be quite a few Androiders out there for whom an extra $64 (despite all the added functionality) must be the end of the world.

Please describe all the added functionality that Apple TV has over ChromeCast.

• Reply 11 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    edit
  • Reply 12 of 67
    An Apple TV would be fairly useless without a several hundred dollar investment in a companion iDevice wouldn't it? Besides going after a somewhat different market the Chromecast doesn't have that limitation. It probably works right alongside whatever desktop or mobile device you already own, whether iOS, Android, Mac or some Windows-based desktop/laptop.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    darklite wrote: »
    Surprisingly, the target market of non-Apple products is not 'people who exclusively use Apple products'.

So a product isn't intended for people who don't buy it? How insightful¡

To be clear: we are talking about an iOS app.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    An Apple TV would be fairly useless without a several hundred dollar investment in a companion iDevice wouldn't it? Besides going after a somewhat different market the Chromecast doesn't have that limitation.

It probably works right alongside whatever desktop or mobile device you already own, whether iOS, Android or some Windows-based desktop/laptop.

No. The Apple TV is perfectly capable of streaming content off iTunes for windows. In addition, it can be controlled with its own remote and functions as a stand-alone device. It is exceedingly rare for me to do anything on my Apple TV that would require "a several hundred dollar investment".
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

An Apple TV would be fairly useless without a several hundred dollar investment in a companion iDevice wouldn't it? Besides going after a somewhat different market the Chromecast doesn't have that limitation. It probably works right alongside whatever desktop or mobile device you already own, whether iOS, Android, Mac or some Windows-based desktop/laptop.

I guess you must have missed the news that AppleTV has been Windows/PC-compatible since Day 1 (i.e., eight years ago).

You're welcome.:)

• Reply 16 of 67
    I guess you must have missed the news that AppleTV has been Windows/PC-compatible since Day 1 (i.e., eight years ago).

You're welcome.:)

Why did you leave out Android, or address the need to own an Apple device of some sort if AppleTV is going to be of much use? Neither of those is a limitation of the Chromecast.

...AND you're welcome too. :D
  • Reply 17 of 67
    iaeen wrote: »
    No. The Apple TV is perfectly capable of streaming content off iTunes for windows. In addition, it can be controlled with its own remote and functions as a stand-alone device. It is exceedingly rare for me to do anything on my Apple TV that would require "a several hundred dollar investment".

iTunes isn't very useful either unless you own or have owned an Apple device is it?
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:

Why did you leave out Android, or address the need to own an Apple device of some sort if AppleTV is going to be of much use? Neither of those is a limitation of the Chromecast.

...AND you're welcome too. image

Sigh. There you go again, with your predictable obduracy. Your original post was based on the premise that one needs some kind of 'iDevice' to run AppleTV that one had to spend 'hundreds of dollars' on.

You've been told  -- twice -- that one doesn't. In fact, when not used as a standalone device (which is a great deal of its use) most of the home media type uses of Apple TV -- photos, music, videos -- are often done from one's laptop or desktop rather than an iDevice.

Instead of being grateful for the info, you're simply trying to hide the fact that you've been told of something about which you posted an ignorant question.

As to Android, who gives a s***. They're welcome to their detritus of apps and accessories.

• Reply 19 of 67
    Quote:

iTunes isn't very useful either unless you own or have owned an Apple device is it?

Groan.

Stop.

• Reply 20 of 67
    Sigh. There you go again, with your predictable obduracy. Your original post was based on the premise that one needs some kind of 'iDevice' to run AppleTV that one had to spend 'hundreds of dollars' on.

You've been told  -- twice -- that one doesn't. In fact, when not used as a standalone device (which is a great deal of its use) most of the home media type uses of Apple TV -- photos, music, videos -- are often done from one's laptop or desktop rather than an iDevice.

Instead of being grateful for the info, you're simply trying to hide the fact that you've been told of something about which you posted an ignorant question.

[SIZE=16px]As to Android, who gives a s***. They're welcome to their detritus of apps and accessories.[/SIZE]

I'm well aware that an AppleTV isn't completely useless without an Apple device, just more useless than a Chromecast. That's exactly what I said in the first post.

I tried explaining why Android users would choose one over an AppleTV which you assumed, and perhaps just from simple ignorance about it, was primarily because of the extra $54. For an Apple device owner price might be the reason. That's far from the biggest reason for users of other platforms IMO. You apparently aren't grateful for my information either even tho I've tried twice to explain it to you. Here's a chart if it's easier for you to understand visually.