With Android Wear, Google fires first shot in hardware war against Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 139
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Who wears watch nowadays? Smart watch is a failure just like 3-D TV. I wouldn't want to stare at 1 sq-in screen for information. It's a joke.

• Reply 102 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bleaknik View Post

Honest question here... What's the market's desire for an iWatch? I saw Google's announcement, but I have no desire to have one myself--be it Apple or Android.

Do you want a wearable? If so... why?

I see no reason for a wearable.  I don't wear anything now and haven't for years.  I certainly will not be a customer in this space.  Now, provide a TV solution and we're talkin'.

• Reply 103 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Who wears watch nowadays? Smart watch is a failure just like 3-D TV. I wouldn't want to stare at 1 sq-in screen for information. It's a joke.

1) The watch business is very lucrative. Over $60 billion in 2013.

2) I agree that the "smartwatch" as noted by Samsung, Sony and Pebble's attempts are a market failure, but a wrist-worn electronic device is highly likely to succeed and the wearable electronics market is going to be the next big push in technology and will last a very long time.
  • Reply 104 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“I’m sure they’ll want it eventually.”

Ladies and gentlemen, the mantra of the Unusably Big iPhone Brigade!

I agree.  Isn't the "Unusably Big iPhone" just a tablet and why wouldn't one just get a tablet?  I have yet to see anyone actually on a call in the wild holding up a tablet sized "phone" to their ear.

• Reply 105 of 139
    This is all hype! They can match Apple on hardware, bring in all the former Apple talent they want and even release a great product, but everyone will always wonder what will Apple do? This will be a crippling problem for Google and its efforts. Just as Google rules search, Apple rules hardware. If Apple does nothing, Google's product will see a so-so response (NFC comes to mind). If Apple releases a great product, Google's product will be overshadowed and left behind. In any case, Apple is in control!
    Once outside the Apple culture, ex Apple employees just seem incapable of recreating the magic.
  • Reply 106 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Translation: Throw shit at the wall to see what sticks while still trying to say, "FIRST!!1!"

Gee, it was impossible for anyone to predict that would be issue¡

You think they have working, driverless car tech just to claim first...? This is something that's 5-10 years before it's time. Not perfected yet, but it already works amazingly.

• Reply 107 of 139
    ddpacino wrote: »
    You think they have working, driverless car tech just to claim first...? This is something that's 5-10 years before it's time. Not perfected yet, but it already works amazingly.

1) You think we'll have driverless cars on the road in 5 to 10 years? When you're done using your jetpack up on cloud 9 perhaps we can talk.

2) It works amazingly? If so, then where are the stress tests for this technology?
  • Reply 108 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Translation: Throw shit at the wall to see what sticks while still getting to say, "FIRST!!1!"
    Gee, it was impossible for anyone to predict that would be issue¡

Having a camera on a small easily concealed device was an issue for mobile phones when they first became available. Over time we've figured out what's acceptable and what's not, where they might be useful and where it's not such a good idea. I don't see a whole lotta complaints about them anymore. The same issues will be recycled and proper etiquette figured out when Glass or similar devices become mainstream too.
  • Reply 109 of 139
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Having a camera on a small easily concealed device was an issue for mobile phones when they first became available. Over time we've figured out what's acceptable and what's not, where they might be useful and where it's not such a good idea. I don't see a whole lotta complaints about them anymore. The same issues will be recycled and proper etiquette figured out when Glass or similar devices become mainstream too.

If you hold your phone's camera up and pretend to be taking video of everyone around you it's a problem. Since that hasn't changed having a camera on a piece of headgear was always going to be an issue.
  • Reply 110 of 139
    Quote:

1) You think we'll have driverless cars on the road in 5 to 10 years? When you're done using your jetpack up on cloud 9 perhaps we can talk.

2) It works amazingly? If so, then where are the stress tests for this technology?

I am sure you know how to Google like the rest of us. 4 states have passed legislation to allow driverless cars on their roads.

• Reply 111 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sambira View Post

I agree.  Isn't the "Unusably Big iPhone" just a tablet and why wouldn't one just get a tablet?  I have yet to see anyone actually on a call in the wild holding up a tablet sized "phone" to their ear.

His face captures the moment, though.

Originally Posted by ddpacino View Post

I am sure you know how to Google like the rest of us.

The rest of us Bing or DDG. Or, my preference, “search engine”.

4 states have passed legislation to allow driverless cars on their roads.

Neat update. It was 2 the last time I’d checked.

• Reply 112 of 139
    I am sure you know how to Google like the rest of us.

Then impress me. Where are the lengthy, systematic, and exhaustive government tests that will conclude shortly to allow for regulations to be placed for the sale and use of personal and commercial driverless vehicles within 5 to 10 years.
  • Reply 113 of 139

Lol, figured that, and purposefully removed that bit, but I still haven't found one as robust and reliable as Google's. I understand the tinfoil crew with their privacy issues, but I give Google enough information to be useful to me. That's the best way to get the awesome predictions from Google Now. I still find that the killer feature for Android Wear that no one can match today.

Oh, Texas proposed legislation that would make it the 5th. Progress.

• Reply 114 of 139
    Quote:

Then impress me. Where are the lengthy, systematic, and exhaustive government tests that will conclude shortly to allow for regulations to be placed for the sale and use of personal and commercial driverless vehicles within 5 to 10 years.

I'm not here to impress you.  

• Reply 115 of 139
    I'm not here to impress you.  

Then look at it as successfully arguing your case.
  • Reply 116 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    [quote name="ddpacino" url="/t/170231/with-android-wear-google-fires-first-shot-in-hardware-war-against-apple/80#post_2499121"
    Oh, Texas proposed legislation that would make it the 5th. Progress.
    [/quote]

There are already 5: Michigan, California, Nevada, Florida and Washington, D.C.,
    Texas would be the 6th if not even later in the pecking order. There's seven other states considering similar testing of autonomous cars.
  • Reply 117 of 139
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    Has anyone noticed that the younger generations are not wearing watches? Outside of the groups of tech-geeks that would have been the first to own calculator watches in my generation, who are going to wear these things? Weekend athletes? I'm just wondering who the market is going to be.
  • Reply 118 of 139
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    iWatch has a lot of evidence to back it. Screen looks to bright, battery killer. Style... looks like something my grandpa, wouldn't wear. And style over hardware? Apples had there not so big upgrades but they'd never do that. Google is going down, now days I search things like S4 running iOS and shows up as S4 vs iPhone 5. WTF I didn't ask for that.
  • Reply 119 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

Has anyone noticed that the younger generations are not wearing watches? Outside of the groups of tech-geeks that would have been the first to own calculator watches in my generation, who are going to wear these things? Weekend athletes? I'm just wondering who the market is going to be.

While I understand this point, I still see there being a big difference in a finely crafted timepiece that does nothing but show time versus a gadget that can do so much more than that. That's like saying I don't wear a watch, why would I want a Fuelband or a Fitbit Force (because it's a band that goes around my wrist, like a watch?). They do a lot more than tell you the time.

I believe anyone that likes gadgets will be interested in the smartwatch arena. Now, if they follow through on that curiosity and actually purchase something will be up to the hardware options available and their capabilities. I'm seriously interested in traditional watchmakers like Fossil, or even Rolex, exploring this space. The 360 doesn't appear to have major fitness trackers, and that may be a deal breaker for many. That' s fine by me because I already own a Flex.

Quote:

Then look at it as successfully arguing your case.

I honestly don't how how I was "arguing" a case regarding autonomous cars. I came here to discuss watches...

• Reply 120 of 139
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ddpacino View Post

It's not my issue that you don't have access to said info, but what should I expect from an Apple crowd about it's competitiors. Get your sources up. I use Google Now every day. I know EXACTLY how it'll work. I have the Wear's main homescreen apk running as my launcher on my Nexus 5 right this instant as I mess around. Gonna love quick access to music controls on my wrist. This whole thing seems like something I've used before though, but can't quite put my finger on it...

Talk to this "shill" in June.

I totally agree that the concept is great. Now tell me, what is the maximum amount you would pay and the minimum amount of battery life you'd accept for you to buy this thing. Then we can talk in June.