2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

Fine. Bye.

Bye.

• Reply 22 of 39
    Pegatron, the main assembler for both the iPhone 5c and iPad mini, saw its earnings grow 22 percent in the first quarter, potentially signaling strong sales of Apple's low-end iOS devices.

Imagine what kind of number it would have been if the iPhone 5c hadn't been such a "flop." /s

I have to admit I've been amazed at how fast these Asian factories can ramp up production as rapidly as they do. Such rapid response to fulfill orders hasn't happened in this country (USA) since WWII. I do wonder how much of this coordination of JIT components and labor coming together like this is due to Tim Cook's/Apple's expertise...
  • Reply 23 of 39

I think you're all arguing about different things. Let me give it a shot.

1) Did iPhone 5C outsell the flagship phones of other competitors in the last quarter?

Based on waybacmac's table, the answer is yes.

2) Is the iPhone 5C a failure compared to its competition (overall)?

It is impressive that the iPhone 5C was able to outsell best phones the competition could design. The purpose of the iPhone 5C was 1) to upsell iPhone buyers to the 5S and 2) act as a mid level/tier phone for the more price conscious consumers. Apple was successful with (1) because the 5S selling 2.5 to 1 ratio to the 5C. Apple probably failed on (2) because it did not increase Apple's marketshare in the mid-tier of the market. Overall, I would have to say the iPhone was a success compared to its competition.

3) Is the iPhone 5C a failure based on Apple's internal projections prior to release?

We don't know what Apple was projecting but it was probably a failure. Tim Cook himself said during the conference call that they projected the ratio of the 5S to the 5C to be much closer.

• Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

1) Did iPhone 5C outsell the flagship phones of other competitors in the last quarter?

It is impressive that the iPhone 5C was able to outsell best phones the competition could design. The purpose of the iPhone 5C was 1) to upsell iPhone buyers to the 5S and 2) act as a mid level/tier phone for the more price conscious consumers. Apple was successful with (1) because the 5S selling 2.5 to 1 ratio to the 5C. Apple probably failed on (2) because it did not increase Apple's marketshare in the mid-tier of the market. Overall, I would have to say the iPhone was a success compared to its competition.

3) Is the iPhone 5C a failure based on Apple's internal projections prior to release?

We don't know what Apple was projecting but it was probably a failure. Tim Cook himself said during the conference call that they projected the ratio of the 5S to the 5C to be much closer.

Did you even look at the table that I provided?

• Reply 25 of 39

Yes, I did. That is why I said based on the data from waybackmac's table.

It is less clear if we add October and November into the picture. The Samsung Galaxy S4 won second place. Is there December data? I believe the majority of phones in the last quarter are sold in the Nov/Dec.

• Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

... but you have come closest to what I have been saying since the 5c was introduced.

(in that case you might want to change your opinion... lol)

• Reply 27 of 39
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I disagree.

How many have you seen around?

For me, the answer is 0 out of 10/12 iPhone 5cs.

• Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post

How many have you seen around?

For me, the answer is 0 out of 10/12 iPhone 5cs.

I was kidding.

• Reply 29 of 39
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

THE 5C IS A MASSIVE FAILURE*

*when compared against the best selling smartphone on the planet that smokes every other smartphone that's ever existed, the 5S

THE 5C IS A SUCCESS IN SALES**

**when compared against every single freaking Galaxy phone on the market including the fancy S4

The 5S sells way more than the 4S it replaced.

But hey, we GOTTA SPIN everything negative about Apple!

Pegatron had great profits?  Okay, let's spin a story about their "soft first quarter," conveniently ignoring the fact that cyclically sales of iStuff always go down in the first quarter in a highly predictable way.

5C selling better than Galaxy S4?  Okay, we'll only compare 5C sales against the juggernaut 5S.

Apple had a massive holiday quarter?  Okay, we'll overhype our "expectations" and then also we'll complain about Apple's "disastrous" future predictions, pretending we don't know Apple sales always go down in January compared to the previous holiday quarter.

But you know what?  People are clueing into this game, and the result is that the desperate Apple haters, the paid Apple bashers, the desperate-for-attention Analysts, and the desperate-for-clicks Bloggers, are all LOSING CREDIBILITY.

So sayeth 512ke, who admittedly probably knows nothing.

But hey, if an Analyst can spout whatever nonsense they want, why not me?  Thanks for reading lol.

• Reply 30 of 39

I think we need more choices than 'failure' or 'success', how about 'selling well, but not quite as well as we expected'?.  It seems to me that Apple was expecting to sell more 5C than they did and, maybe, less 5S.  I'm not sure if they were expecting more overall iPhone sales or just a greater percentage of 5C.  Regardless, the data in the tables shows that the 5C is selling well, despite the 'failure' label.  

I'm curious what they are going to do in the next round of upgrades.  Will they drop the 5C, keep the same basic model at a lower price, or upgrade it to Touch-ID to take the place of the 5S as the new iPhone 6 model comes out?   Do they keep the 5S?  IF they drop the 5C altogether, then maybe one would be justified in saying that it was a failure in the eyes of Apple management.  

• Reply 31 of 39
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ralphmouth wrote: »

1) Did <span style="line-height:1.4em;">iPhone 5C outsell the flagship phones of other competitors in the last quarter?</span>

Not to pick on you, but why do you guys keep ignoring the 5c's China-Mobile-ready 4G radios, which have hardly been factored in for more than a month, and whose effects won't really be apparent until the end of the year?

Can you not hold more than one idea in your head at a time? It's insane to pronounce the 5c a success or failure until China figures are known.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

What numbers... you mean the breakdown from Apple?

... oh... wait...

You’ll need to disprove what has been presented if you want anyone to listen to you.

• Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Bwuh? The 5c is an epic fail, right? I mean all that stuff about how the 5c outsold all the flagship phones of competitors was made-up nonsense, right?

Blue or Green? Blue or Green? I just can't seem to decide which one to get...

• Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You’ll need to disprove what has been presented if you want anyone to listen to you.

1. I already did.

2. You are not the deciding factor. There are obviously some people listening to what I am saying.

• Reply 35 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

1. I already did.

Where did you show that the numbers presented aren’t the numbers presented? I guess the telecoms lied about sales, huh.

• Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where did you show that the numbers presented aren’t the numbers presented? I guess the telecoms lied about sales, huh.

DED's whole argument is based around the figure "12.5 million" 5c iPhones sold.

So... you are saying that he isn't doing what every analyst is doing by making up a number that fits his argument. That somehow DED actually knows Apple's iPhone breakdown.

Huh...

• Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Well... actually... it was.

n't. 

Fixed for you.

• Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

Stop lying.

I presume you do an awful lot of lying on your desert island.

• Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Blocked.