NYT pulls iPad Air underwater ad after 'unfortunate' juxtaposition with Flight 370 story

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
A digital version of Apple's 'Your Verse' ad for the iPad Air, which ends in an underwater scene, was removed from the New York Times's website Tuesday after the newspaper mistakenly allowed it to run alongside a story about the possible ocean crash of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370.

New York Times
Source: Twitter user @learmonth

For a short period, Apple's ad played just above an article bearing the headline "Malaysia Says Jet Went Down in Ocean." The Times pulled the ad after it was noticed by a number of Twitter users, according to AdAge.

"It was an unfortunate coincidence that this particular creative ran adjacent to that particular article," a Times spokeswoman said. "The ad was taken down by mutual agreement and we are still determining a resolution regarding placing the ad again."

The "Your Verse" campaign, centered around a Walt Whitman poem, has been widely praised since its debut. The campaign follows people who use Apple's iPad in a variety of extreme, unusual, or otherwise noteworthy ways, including a marine biologist who uses an iPad to measure coral growth.

There was no word on how this incident would affect Apple's overall advertising ties with the Times. The newspaper has been a beneficiary of Apple's recently-expanded digital advertising presence, having carried a number of interactive ads for the iPhone 5c. Apple ads also appear frequently in the print edition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

It’s Apple’s fault that:

1. The plane went down at all

2. New York Times posted the two together

• Reply 2 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It's the New York Times, so maybe it was on purpose.

They have had a vendetta against Apple in the past, so I wouldn't doubt anything when it comes to the New York Times.

• Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s Apple’s fault that:

you sound incredulous... ;-)

Analysts will see the china market implode... of course Analysts will see this as the 'cold hearted efficiency... time to make a buck on the backs of the suffering Chinese people' of  Cook's Apple, not the 'we care enough to change the world, and just have people happy dancing on the sides of buses' of the Steve Era.

my guess there will be a report of 'iPads in the cockpit'  soon.

Malaysia Airlines, Boeing, the Malaysian Gov't... all are mere pawns in Apple's world domination... one where the workplace and travel safety of Chinese is a mere risk management decision...

• Reply 4 of 35
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member

There's numerous incidents of this type of advertising all over the internet. Two weeks ago when photos were being released of rescue workers in the airplanes searching for the missing plane, a NYT ad embedded in the airliner article shown a wide ocean view in an advert for a Miami Florida resort. I just figured it was native advertising, as discussed on the NoAgenda podcast. 

Btw, the google ads on AI are so un-intelligent that they are showing me music albums that I've already bought. 

• Reply 5 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It’s Apple’s fault that:

As someone that grew up with the BBC and no ads, I used to be incredulous that (in clips I saw) Ed Sullivan interrupted his show to do a dog food ad. In the US you had become used to it and never blinked an eye. Now I find waiting for an ad about Car Insurance to finish before watching an important update on some world level catastrophe still weird but I am becoming used to it. It still reminds me of a science fiction film set in the far future somehow. I totally agree it should have been pulled but so should a lot more ads and certainly I don't like any ad stuck on the front of a breaking news, tragic event of any kind. Then again, there is not much uplifting news out there is there? At least that's reported on ...
  • Reply 6 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Once again Apple is taking advantage of the tragedy to offset the "5C is a flop" facts and to counter its lack of innovation. /s
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Partial Quote:
    sestewart wrote: »

Btw, the google ads on AI are so un-intelligent that they are showing me music albums that I've already bought. 

In traditional print advertising that use to be known as 'Post Sale Reinforcement' :D
  • Reply 8 of 35
    jungmark wrote: »
    Once again Apple is taking advantage of the tragedy to offset the "5C is a flop" facts and to counter its lack of innovation. /s

LOL
  • Reply 9 of 35
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Ooops.
    I have to say that it made me laugh.
    They removed it, end of story.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Refund! /s(?)
  • Reply 11 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    As someone that grew up with the BBC and no ads, I used to be incredulous that (in clips I saw) Ed Sullivan interrupted his show to do a dog food ad. In the US you had become used to it and never blinked an eye. Now I find waiting for an ad about Car Insurance to finish before watching an important update on some world level catastrophe still weird but I am becoming used to it. It still reminds me of a science fiction film set in the far future somehow. I totally agree it should have been pulled but so should a lot more ads and certainly I don't like any ad stuck on the front of a breaking news, tragic event of any kind. Then again, there is not much uplifting news out there is there? At least that's reported on ...

But at least we don't have to pay for a television license. ????
  • Reply 12 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I'm going to hell for laughing.

• Reply 13 of 35
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

The same with Amazon. I get an email saying "hey, yesterday you looked at a bunch of albums, don't forget about them".

WTF, I bought them yesterday!

Google is definitely the worst though.

Me: hmm, I think I'll buy a new Gtech vacuum cleaner.

Goes to their website and buys it.

Google: here is 4 weeks of banners advertising what you just bought.

• Reply 14 of 35
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Huh, I would not have given it a second thought. But then again, Im a cold hearted SOB! :)

• Reply 15 of 35
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Yahoo news reported that Apple made a horrible mistake in choosing to run their ad facing the news coverage about the missing flight.

Oh yes, that's how it's being reported.

I think this story is obviously dumb screamingly the fault of the NYTimes.

Separate thought:

The iPad lets you download accurate topo maps for offline viewing and synchronization with GPS.

Maybe rescuers ARE using iPads to help find the plane.  An iPad is a most helpful tool.

• Reply 16 of 35
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Blunders like these happen all the time on television. The NY Times will probably settle accounts by running the ad at another time and in a more appropriate location for free.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But at least we don't have to pay for a television license. ????

Well... not directly. 

• Reply 18 of 35
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member

This is nothing but political correctness taken to the extreme.

How is coral reef exploration in any way related to the accident?

• Reply 19 of 35
    Honestly, who cares? How is this offensive? Would a Delta or American ad have been offensive? What about a Carnival Cruise or Atlantis Resort ad? I just read an article on my local newspapers website about a miner who was killed with an ad on the page for a hospital, is that offensive?
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Why would anyone read the NYT? Biased, parochial, poorly researched, poorly written, ad-bait/click-bait trash just like every other.