LCD owners, look here for terror

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Jesus, I just had a heart attack. Seriously, I had to pound my chest like Chris Farley in the SNL skit where he's a Bears fan and has them while out for beers...

Click <a href="http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/11/18/business/CONSUMER18.htm"; target="_blank">here</a>. It was linked to from MacSurfer.

I thought I had a dead pixel in the top left corner of my display. I know some displays develop them after a short time, and I thought my Ti Book had done that! *phew*

Haven't been scared like that in a while...

[edited link]

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    WWOO I see what you meen
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Ha.

Speaking of dead pixels, how do they happen on CRTs? I've had two CRTs in a row get a dead pixel in the SAME SPOT after putting it in the same place in the lab where I work. Is that freakin' weird or what? It's just a black spot in the middle of the screen. Grr, I hate black spots on screens.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I dunno what that would be MacAgent, but it isn't a dead pixel. CRTs don't have pixels...
  • Reply 4 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If it's a shadow mask CRT then there could be some obstruction in the mask.

Otherwise, I'd suspect a flaky video card or something like that. I can't think of anything that would cause an electron gun to miss one particular spot on the screen.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    As for that "dead pixel" in the article:

&lt;iframe WIDTH=1 HEIGHT=1 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 HSPACE=0 VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=no BORDERCOLOR="000000" SRC="http://ads.realcities.com/html.ng/site=phillynews&size=special&cat=businessmoney&Spa ceDesc=npcatint&pos=middle"&gt;
  • Reply 6 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>Ha.

Speaking of dead pixels, how do they happen on CRTs? I've had two CRTs in a row get a dead pixel in the SAME SPOT after putting it in the same place in the lab where I work. Is that freakin' weird or what? It's just a black spot in the middle of the screen. Grr, I hate black spots on screens. </strong><hr></blockquote>

same here. I have a couple at the bottom on my Apple 17 inch CRT
  • Reply 7 of 27
    I have them on a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u and a RasterOps MC 8115. Bloody irritating.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    ok, I just have to ask...

When I click on the link above, it takes me to some boring article about Verizon Cell Phones.

Am I missing something?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Look at the top left corner of the window.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>ok, I just have to ask...

When I click on the link above, it takes me to some boring article about Verizon Cell Phones.

Am I missing something?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who didn't get it at first.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I guess only laptop owners can see this 'pehonmenon'.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I guess only laptop owners can see this 'pehonmenon'. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I still don't see it, am I a zombie?
  • Reply 13 of 27
    oooooh. n/m I understand now.

It doesn't seem a problem for my sony 19"
  • Reply 14 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>I thought I had a dead pixel in the top left corner of my display... &lt;snip&gt; </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thought I was clear....

Looks like a dead pixel when you're looking at it with an LCD display. I had the crap scared out of me, thinking my screen had developed a messed up pixel.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I guess only laptop owners can see this 'pehonmenon'. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I've got an iBook and I didn't notice until I looked at it about 4 times. Oh well.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Caught it on my iMac immediately. I have a G4 downstairs with a 15" LCD (pre-ADC) and so I caught it immediately as well. My LCD has 2 bad pixels though. And no amount of thumping or massaging will birng them back. GRRR...
  • Reply 17 of 27
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    there is a small app that makes your screen go black (I think) and so you can see dead pixels right away. You can look on versiontracker I think.

What gives with the verizon article?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>there is a small app that makes your screen go black (I think) and so you can see dead pixels right away. You can look on versiontracker I think.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dead pixels against a black screen? Don't think so. It must make the screen display white or a gray.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    It actually changes your entire display red, green, white, black, etc. You can get it at Version Tracker.

Funny, I was going to put a link up here, but I can't get their page up.
  • Reply 20 of 27

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>