Apple's iPhone 5c 'failure flop' outsold Blackberry, Windows Phone and every Android flagship in Q4

Comments

• Reply 261 of 299
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Notwithstanding AI's great efforts above, the fact is: the 5C is a FLOP, aka the IIvx/IIvi of the iPhone world.

Even Apple itself admitted that sales were not "in line" (euphemism for "sorry, we haven't sold that many") - besides, they were absolutely sure that it would sell well in emerging markets and lower strata of industrialized markets; but they did not realize that the 5S was just marginally more expensive, particularly when such phones are sold in instalments or with more expensive plans.

In other words, Cook completely misinterpreted demand trends just like what Apple did with the PowerBook when it didn't produce enough units of the specific notebook model really wanted by the public.

I have never seen anyone with a 5C - and I can assure you that the 5C will go down in history as one of Apple's major market failures ever; it will be quietly discontinued in the coming months (or, more appropriately, "superseded" by revamped non-5C models). 

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to find a lawyer with such poor reading comprehension skills.
  • Reply 262 of 299
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

A heap of words to say that Apple is very undervalued. I agree.

Yep.  If they can *beat* what many call the 'unrealistic expectations' that their current price is based on, they are without a doubt undervalued.

• Reply 263 of 299
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think if they have the components and the cost isn't too high they will want to put them in every new device they can. I think they would have wanted it in last year's Retina iPad Mini and iPad Air but they couldn't do it.

Yes I think the touthID will be installed on the Retina iPad Mini2, iPad Air2, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6XL.    By the following year 2015 they will probably have expanded production to add touchId to the mid-tier.    In sept 2014 both the low-end 5c and new mid-tier 5sc will be based on the plastic body so that they can use the metal for the high-end products.

• Reply 264 of 299
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote: Appleinsider

Even Samsung's flagship Galaxy S4 reportedly sold just 9 million units in the winter quarter.

Great Article, sorry DED but shipped and sold are not the same thing :smokey:

• Reply 265 of 299
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

So after 260 comments we finally learned that iPhone 5c indeed sold more than others making it the second world's best selling after iPhone 5s;) 

• Reply 266 of 299
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

"Readers choice" gives it away. 5C owners rarely go on tech blogs.

Strange that Engadget's score of 87 puts it on par with the the Galaxy S4.

Endgadget is dominated by "paid for comment" fandroid sheep.

• Reply 267 of 299
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtschultz93 View Post

it's not particularly convincing to me that an iPhone(5c) that launched last quarter,a repackaged old model even, 

Apart from being compatible with that weird Chinese 4G network that is.

• Reply 268 of 299
    hill60 wrote: »
    Apart from being compatible with that weird Chinese 4G network that is.
    Ah, that repackaged argument !£@!!? As I understand it Apple thought they needed another phone in their line up. They needed hardware that would compete with their competition....let's say the S4. They needed the phone to appeal to a less conservative taste, something bang on trend, maybe colourful. Oh, and it needed to be a lot cheaper to manufacture so they could discount it aggressively in the future if they needed to...The 5c perfect!!! Now no one knows how well it's doing exactly because only Apple knows that, and they never release breakdown figures. From the phone companies, the results look good, consistently in the number Two or Three best selling slot, perfect!!! Not so perfect for Apple is that the sales mix isn't what they were hopping for, their friggin top end phone, so difficult to make, is selling like crazy......although the stinking profits are really nice.
    So what is the problem here? Am I missing something?
  • Reply 269 of 299
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I must say it's always amusing to see comments like the above, particularly when I am one of the most rabid anti-Samsung and pro-Apple persons around here. My point is simply to note that:

- Apple is disappointed with the 5C sales;

- the 5C was a problem in search of a solution;

- the company spent considerable money just to set up a different manufacturing line for a less-than-successful model;

- no one cares about the 5C in most markets for the basic reason that its pricing is so close to that of the 5S;

- realizing its mistake, Apple NOW reduces the price of the 5C to see who wants to buy it;

- overall sales volumes have NOTHING to do with success as far as Apple is concerned - after all, the expectations were way higher than what numbers now show;

- for those of you with a minimum of knowledge on Apple's history, go check the PowerBook blunder of the 90s, when Apple TOTALLY misread demand (i.e., undershooting its expectations) and then struggled to satisfy an already angry market. Cook has failed and now he is trying to fix the problem.

Case closed - by the way, no need to resort to ad personam nonsense. I am not a criminal lawyer anyway (and would never be).

When a failure outsells the competition, I sure hope they keep failing like this.  I guess a lawyer fails by being successful in more cases than all the other lawyers.

• Reply 270 of 299
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quamb View Post

You start to feel like a crazy fanboy trying to defend this stuff.... this non stop hate and hyperbole thrown Apple's way. It's unrelenting. What is going on? Who is behind all this? A simple (albiet very successful) company that makes phones and computers receives so much riducule it's as if they are doing something terribly wrong in the eyes of these editors and hoard of geeks on the forums.

I guess in some respects, they were the same in the 90's with hating on the Macintosh. Still doesn't explain why though.

Very simple.  Payola from Samsung.  Didn't they spend $12 or $20 billion in marketing?

• Reply 271 of 299
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to find a lawyer with such poor reading comprehension skills.

To summarize all reactions above (against my post):

- Lawyers are bad/I hate lawyers/you're such a bad lawyer blablabla;

- the iPhone 5C sold more than some other devices; therefore it is a great success and Apple has NOT meant what it said.

Or in other words:

- I don't have facts, so I resort to ad personam diatribes;

- I rely on ONE single piece of information: sales volumes - nothing else matters to me.

So yeah: the iPhone 5C is still a flop.

p.s.1: What, me worry? ;)

p.s.2: Am I trolling? ;)

• Reply 272 of 299
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    To summarize all reactions above (against my post):

- Lawyers are bad/I hate lawyers/you're such a bad lawyer blablabla;

- the iPhone 5C sold more than some other devices; therefore it is a great success and Apple has NOT meant what it said.

Or in other words:

- I don't have facts, so I resort to ad personam diatribes;

- I rely on ONE single piece of information: sales volumes - nothing else matters to me.

The iPhone 5C didn't sell more than some other devices. It sold more than every single device except one. To call it a flop is horseshit regardless of Apples internal expectations.
  • Reply 273 of 299
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

- I don't have facts...

You got this right.
  • Reply 274 of 299
    You keep telling yourself that so you can sleep at night.
  • Reply 275 of 299
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

The iPhone 5C didn't sell more than some other devices. It sold more than every single device except one. To call it a flop is horseshit regardless of Apples internal expectations.

^this^.

The analyst's theme before the 5c release was the 5c would soar and "save" Apple. Then the 5s outsold the 5c: thus the 5c, not being the savior of Apple, was a "flop".

And that was and remains, silly.

• Reply 276 of 299
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I already explained the complex thing. Few could misunderstand it.
    Mutitasking? Apple has the best implementation of multitasking on a mobile device.
    There is NO google device that will ever be on my iOS devices, ever.
    Notifications- I get them all the time and am very pleased with the way iOS does it.

So don't reply to me then. You are just the kind of person I described in my posts. Read my sig if you need more help

Mate, are you one arrogant prick.
  • Reply 277 of 299
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

^this^.

The analyst's theme before the 5c release was the 5c would soar and "save" Apple. Then the 5s outsold the 5c: thus the 5c, not being the savior of Apple, was a "flop".

And that was and remains, silly.

As I've said over and over again. Apple makes more money selling the 5S than the 5C. They were probably a bit "worried" that the 5c was too good of an offering at $99 that it may hurt 5s sales and likewise hurt revenue. They were pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't happen, and more people opted for the 5s than they expected. Good for Apple. 

• Reply 278 of 299

The same thing I said when the Macintosh failed (as everyone had predicted).

The same thing I said when the iPod failed (as everyone had predicted).

The same thing I said when the original iPhone failed (as everyone had predicted).

The same thing I said when the iPad failed (as had everyone predicted).

Which is… oops… none of that ever happened.  So what would I say if (all evidence to the contrary) Apple decided to get rid of the 5C?

As the article above points out, the 5C is a huge success by any rational measure.  But if it isn't as big of a success as Apple would like and they change the name, or change the design, I couldn't care less.  Apple is constantly revising their product line, so maybe this was a temporary model anyway.  Maybe they were experimenting with manufacturing plastic cases and learned a lot.  Odds are if they do drop it, they had planned to anyway.  Maybe the 5C will become an iPhone nano that is constantly changing over.

Steve Jobs often talked about always pushing the edge and being willing to make mistakes.  There's no evidence so far that the 5C is a mistake or an experiment.  Logically, Apple has other models coming soon.  There is no reason for Apple to make a big announcement they are dropping the 5C, even if they weren't happy with sales.  They could just retire it normally as they move to new and improved models.

But even if they aren't happy with sales, my guess they are going to adjust the price, modify the colors, add features and keep it out there just to piss of the critics who are begging for it to "fail."  I suspect, like with the ahead of it's time make MacAir, they would use their considerable resources to make it a big success.

• Reply 279 of 299

I never said it was failing or not failing.  It clearly wasn't a failure from a technical standpoint, it was groundbreaking.  Obviously, Apple lowered the price to boost sales.  If they hadn't, what would have happened?  It's not clear since it happened so fast.  (It could be argued that Apple lowered the price because they realized it had the potential to be a mass market item, rather than a super high end product.)

My point was, Apple learned from that not to drop prices too quickly.  I suspect that factors into how they will handle the 5C by slowly lowering the price and adding features, rather than panicking and dropping the price or dropping the model.  Because, like with the original iPhone, Apple haters will quickly shout "See!  It was failing so they had to drop the price!"

• Reply 280 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jtschultz93 View Post

For the record, this article is based entirely on "analyst's numbers", which this forum generally discredits. Daily. No one outside of Apple has sales numbers for the 5c.. iDiot

Samsung sold 200 million Galaxy S variants since the launch of the first S. Over the exact same timeframe Apple sold 430 million iPhones. It's not even close.

Straight from the horses mouth:-