Google Photowall turns your TV into a crowdsourced pinboard, Loopy HD goes half-off

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Here's a chart if it's easier for you to understand visually.

It’d be easier to understand if the chart wasn’t completely misleading.

• Reply 42 of 67

OK, I have an Apple TV and no Android devices, so obviously Chromecast is not for me and neither is Photowall. I'll leave it at that.

About Loopy HD, I wonder if it is useful given that I have Garageband. I guess at $3.99 I'll buy it anyway and see where it takes me.

• Reply 43 of 67
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

OK, I have an Apple TV and no Android devices, so obviously Chromecast is not for me and neither is Photowall. I'll leave it at that.

About Loopy HD, I wonder if it is useful given that I have Garageband. I guess at $3.99 I'll buy it anyway and see where it takes me.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.  I have very little (if any) musical talent, but really, for $3.99 ... ?  What do I have to lose (well, other than $3.99)? :)

• Reply 44 of 67
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    mistercow wrote: »
    What are the extra functionalities that Apple TV has over Chromecast?

It can mirror everything on your device, whereas chromecast can only cast videos, photos with additional apps and a few crappy games. Chromecast is not as good as Apple TV but is still worth the £30 in the UK.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    It’d be easier to understand if the chart wasn’t completely misleading.

What's wrong with it specifically? Honest question.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    baeder wrote: »
    So, does it come with a remote control to allow it to stream some content without ANY other device, just a chrome cast hooked up to your TV? Or do you need to sling it from somewhere? My understanding is that someone with no computer or smart phone can still use an AppleTV.

So if this is the only electronic device in the house other than a wifi router to the internet (from your telecom), then which device is more useful or which is not useful at all?

Hmmm...

If someone doesn't have a smartphone, or laptop, or desktop computer then it's likely neither will be useful but it's possible someone with previous ownership of an Apple device and with an existing iTunes account might still be able to make limited use of an AppleTV. A Chromecast couldn't be used at all if you owned no other computing devices and no one else in the household did either. In reality I don't think either one would likely be purchased by someone owning no other computing device, or that they would have any use for it if they did.
  • Reply 47 of 67

What's wrong with it specifically? Honest question.

The chart beginning with “Do you have a 2011 Mac” and claiming anyone who doesn’t is out of luck doesn’t give me confidence that the rest of it is correct.

• Reply 48 of 67
    The chart beginning with “Do you have a 2011 Mac” and claiming anyone who doesn’t is out of luck doesn’t give me confidence that the rest of it is correct.

Apple says the same exact same thing as the chart does, that it requires a Mac from mid-2011 or newer. Is Apple wrong?
    " A supported Mac
    AirPlay Mirroring in OS X takes advantage of the hardware capabilities of recent Macs to deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models support AirPlay Mirroring::

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
    Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
    MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
    Mac Pro (Late 2013)"
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404

Did you look at the rest of the chart I linked for any obvious errors? Their entire article is here:
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-stream-to-tv,news-18335.html
  • Reply 49 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I had doubts as well, but it looks correct.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

That Apple Support doc is incorrect: people on a Mac Pro can only use the Late 2013 model is bogus; it works fine on my 5,1

edit: 'Banned'? What happened? Anyway, welcome back, I guess.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yeah, that’s mirroring, which is right, but that’s not what the chart is about. The chart talks about sending media from a device to the TV, not the entire UI.

• Reply 52 of 67
    philboogie wrote: »
    That Apple Support doc is incorrect: people on a Mac Pro can only use the Late 2013 model is bogus; it works fine on my 5,1

edit: 'Banned'? What happened? Anyway, welcome back, I guess.

3 day ban for arguing a little too enthusiastically with Marvin. :lol:
  • Reply 53 of 67

Yeah, that’s mirroring, which is right, but that’s not what the chart is about. The chart talks about sending media from a device to the TV, not the entire UI.

Ahh gotcha. The author was probably confused by that as well.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    3 day ban for arguing a little too enthusiastically with Marvin. :lol:

Must've been some discussion. He usually provides great info, links and insightful views. Pity these usually get deleted; I'd like to read it.

Well, ok, 3 days offline can be good too.
  • Reply 55 of 67

Hey, thanks TS. Very much appreciate the clarification. 8-)
  • Reply 56 of 67
    philboogie wrote: »
    Must've been some discussion. He usually provides great info, links and insightful views. Pity these usually get deleted; I'd like to read it.

Well, ok, 3 days offline can be good too.

Well I was still able to read all the comments. I was just unable to reply.

You're absolutely correct about Marvin, and I have nothing but respect for him. We just didn't see eye to eye.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    baederbaeder Posts: 25member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Hmmm...

If someone doesn't have a smartphone, or laptop, or desktop computer then it's likely neither will be useful but it's possible someone with previous ownership of an Apple device and with an existing iTunes account might still be able to make limited use of an AppleTV. A Chromecast couldn't be used at all if you owned no other computing devices and no one else in the household did either. In reality I don't think either one would likely be purchased by someone owning no other computing device, or that they would have any use for it if they did.

But just out of the box one could use it to access Netflix or Huluplus or YouTube or ... without needing any other computing device (smartphone, tablet or traditional computer). Not a major market but certainly something could do with AppleTV and not with a chrome cast.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    baeder wrote: »
    But just out of the box one could use it to access Netflix or Huluplus or YouTube or ... without needing any other computing device (smartphone, tablet or traditional computer). Not a major market but certainly something could do with AppleTV and not with a chrome cast.

I think you need an existing Netflix or Huluplus account to access them "out of the box". If you don't have one you need a computer or smart-device to sign up AFAIK. At least I don't think you can sign up for either of those directly from Apple TV can you? Not sure about YouTube but that one may be OK.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:

I think you need an existing Netflix or Huluplus account to access them "out of the box". If you don't have one you need a computer or smart-device to sign up AFAIK. At least I don't think you can sign up for either of those directly from Apple TV can you? Not sure about YouTube but that one may be OK.

you are grasping at straws there. Totally expected that, too

• Reply 60 of 67
    you are grasping at straws there. Totally expected that, too

For just a moment when I noticed you quoted me I thought you might know the answer. :\