Starbucks updates app with iOS 7 theme, virtual tip jar and 'shake-to-pay'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

This makes total sense.  Starbucks is to coffee as Apple is to electronics and Ferrari is to cars.  Each of them has the same customer base.

• Reply 22 of 38
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I once sold a 69 kilo bag of green coffee to Starbuck a few years ago. 

Are you a farmer?  A broker?  There's some fine coffee grown in Panama. Was yours something special or unusual?

• Reply 23 of 38

Tipping. Finally.

And to those who are anti-tipping due to their Libertarian Tea-Party paranoia, food service workers are far, far overworked, and far, far underpaid.

• Reply 24 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm not sure if you've ever stepped foot in a Starbucks, but it sells neither beer nor wine. 

They will soon at selected locations. They tested it and announced a rollout.

"Starbucks to Bring Alcohol Sales to Thousands of Stores"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-19/starbucks-to-bring-alcohol-sales-to-thousands-of-stores.html

• Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Tipping. Finally.

And to those who are anti-tipping due to their Libertarian Tea-Party paranoia, food service workers are far, far overworked, and far, far underpaid.

I think you fundamentally understand those who are Libertarian or have become part of the Tea-Party movement.  We are typically very generous tippers and also give generously to charities and do volunteer work.  What we abhor is government taking so much in taxes that we have nothing left to give, especially when we know to what degree the revenue is mismanaged, misspent and misdirected.  The Constitution sets forth what the federal government should be doing, and to the extent taxes are required, they should be directed toward those responsibilities.  Everything else should be the responsibilities of the States or should not be government's responsibility at all, but rather the responsibility of the vibrant private sector we would have if government didn't tax and regulate it to the point of anemia.

• Reply 26 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by InTheKnow327 View Post

I think you fundamentally understand those who are Libertarian or have become part of the Tea-Party movement.  We are typically very generous tippers and also give generously to charities and do volunteer work.  What we abhor is government taking so much in taxes that we have nothing left to give, especially when we know to what degree the revenue is mismanaged, misspent and misdirected.  The Constitution sets forth what the federal government should be doing, and to the extent taxes are required, they should be directed toward those responsibilities.  Everything else should be the responsibilities of the States or should not be government's responsibility at all, but rather the responsibility of the vibrant private sector we would have if government didn't tax and regulate it to the point of anemia.

Per The Founders:  "promote the general Welfare"? http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

• Reply 27 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I once sold a 69 kilo bag of green coffee to Starbuck a few years ago. 

Are you a farmer?  A broker?  There's some fine coffee grown in Panama. Was yours something special or unusual?

Yes x 3

• Reply 28 of 38
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    applezilla wrote: »
    Tipping. Finally.

I can't tell who you're passing judgement upon with the above...
  • Reply 29 of 38
    mstone wrote: »
    Yes x 3

PM me some recommendations, please. Hopefully someone close carries. Perhaps Whole Foods?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    pmz wrote: »
    Why would you tip at Starbucks? You don't tip at McDonalds..

Yes, I do. Well I would if I did patronize either. Same reason I tip, ever.
    I always round up to the next full Euro at least; at anything that even remotely resembles a restaurant. Like at the döner kebap place; or the odd occasion when I am at Burger King (the local one is in an upscale neighborhood, so the clientele is bearable).

For one, this spares me the bother of small change. But if the real reason to tip is lost on you, then that loss is yours. Hint: it's not so much showing my appreciation for the services rendered, than much more what I get in return. And no, not better service next time (although that as well); but rather something intangible. Let's just say that there's other currencies in this world than money.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I see. Many of you don't tip because the coffee is "overpriced". Three questions:
    1. Do you do the same at restaurants that charge $50 for a meal consisting of items that don't cost more than $10?
    2. Do you think the people who work at Starbucks get a commission? (!)
    3. If you're too cheap to acknowledge service with tips, why in the world do you even go to Starbucks?? There are lots and lots of cheaper alternatives (including mooching from friends).

Inquiring minds want to know . . .

(I have never worked in the food service industry, but I do know that salaries are based on those who do getting tips).
  • Reply 32 of 38

Well I think the new app looks great. Its about time they got rid of the iOS 6 theme.

• Reply 33 of 38
    How does the staff receive tips left using the app?
  • Reply 34 of 38
    benjitek wrote: »
    How does the staff receive tips left using the app?

I asked a few of the staff that yesterday as I was demonstration the mechanics of the pop up after the purchase. They we're did to know yet but obviously curious. Will check back around their pay-date.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    [Deleted by user]
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm not sure if you've ever stepped foot in a Starbucks, but it sells neither beer nor wine. 

Some Starbucks >do< serve beer and wine -- thanks though for stopping by ;-)

http://www.starbucks.com/coffeehouse/starbucks-stores/starbucks-evenings

http://www.starbucks.com/coffeehouse/starbucks-stores/starbucks-evenings/locations

Remember, Google is your friend -- less embarrassing to do a quick search before posting: https://www.google.com/search?q=starbucks+beer+and+wine

• Reply 37 of 38

I feel quite curious about the "shake-to-pay" feature, however, the java barcode always confuses me.

• Reply 38 of 38

It's funny. And I know that Starbucks updates a new app that can order coffees by scanning barcode  or qr code with phone.