Apple software engineer details development of original iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Excellent point. OSX has indeed evolved so much. There's so much refinement and optimisation done, something MS will likely never do, or understand why this is a good thing to do in the first place.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "optimisation"?  MS has been getting steadily more efficient with hardware resource usage, and hardware requirements have actually decreased with every release of Windows since Vista. The latest rumor is that the next update of Windows 8.1 will be designed to run on just 1GB ram and 16 GB of storage. (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2105781/oops-windows-8-1-update-leaked-by-microsoft-itself.html) MS wants to make the full-blown Windows run on tablets instead of making a separate mobile version like Apple did with iOS, so they have to be quite aware of the need for efficiency.

• Reply 22 of 25
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Excellent point. OSX has indeed evolved so much. There's so much refinement and optimisation done, something MS will likely never do, or understand why this is a good thing to do in the first place.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "optimisation"?

Take the UI for instance. Just look at their implementation of resizing a window. Used to be only the bottom-right corner where you could grab the window and resize it. That changed (with 10.7?) and we now can resize from all corners, as well as just the width or height. And there lies an unnoticed thing: if you grab a window at the horizontal line and not resize it to make the window shorter or taller but instead move the cursor left or right the system is clever enough and lets you move the window. A thing like that might be small, and I agree, yet it is something MS will never understand. Or come up with themselves.

And a (Flash) video stops playing if the window is out of sight? Makes complete sense, yet I don't see this kind of innovation/optimisation from MS.
    MS has been getting steadily more efficient with hardware resource usage, and hardware requirements have actually decreased with every release of Windows since Vista. The latest rumor is that the next update of Windows 8.1 will be designed to run on just 1GB ram and 16 GB of storage. (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2105781/oops-windows-8-1-update-leaked-by-microsoft-itself.html)

That is indeed a milestone, considering we needed so much more storage for Word documents compared to WP. And we used to max out on RAM as the OS was always RAM hungry. It's good to see MS making efforts in HW requirements, yet 8GB is now ? $65 making this a moot point. Isn't 1GB/16GB less than what WP8 requires?
    MS wants to make the full-blown Windows run on tablets

FAIL
    instead of making a separate mobile version like Apple did with iOS, so they have to be quite aware of the need for efficiency.

No, what they need is common sense. Apple used that, and came up with an OS/UI specifically designed for the HW. And that is called efficiency, NOT having 'one product to run on all HW'. Because we all know that doesn't work. Windows Embedded CE anyone?
  • Reply 23 of 25
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

And a (Flash) video stops playing if the window is out of sight? Makes complete sense, yet I don't see this kind of innovation/optimisation from MS.

I've never seen this on OS X. Lots of people leave Youtube running in the background as a music player. How would you play a Youtube video in the background if this were to happen?

Quote:

Isn't 1GB/16GB less than what WP8 requires?

No, WP8 requires 512 mb RAM, and from what I hear it actually performs quite well on low-end hardware like the Lumia 520. 

Quote:

No, what they need is common sense. Apple used that, and came up with an OS/UI specifically designed for the HW. And that is called efficiency, NOT having 'one product to run on all HW'. Because we all know that doesn't work. Windows Embedded CE anyone?

Windows Embedded CE is probably not the best example of having "one product to run on all HW." Windows CE is specialized for embedded systems (much more so than iOS or Android are) and is distinct from the main Windows NT family. It occupies a completely different market segment from consumer operating systems, a major difference being that Windows CE is designed for real-time applications.

• Reply 24 of 25
    imt1imt1 Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I had said this in a previous thread - I wonder how the battle would have panned out if Android was released before Jobs unveiled the iPhone.

Google would beat their drum and tout how advanced their Blackberry-inspired OS was, everybody would be in awe.

Then Jobs unveils the iPhone catching Google (along with everybody else) flatfooted.

Android 2.0 would then be a direct copy of the iPhone OS, thereby showing where the inspiration came from.

IMHO this could also play into why they haven't jumped into or enhanced a new category. Assuming of course that rumors are true about cracking the code on TV or even an wearable's. The marketplace has been scrambling to figure out what Apple would do. If Apple did enter these spaces, it would be at a point where they can say/show how no one clearly thought of this direction.

• Reply 25 of 25
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
      Isn't 1GB/16GB less than what WP8 requires?
    No, WP8 requires 512 mb RAM, and from what I hear it actually performs quite well on low-end hardware like the Lumia 520. 
    Windows Embedded CE is probably not the best example of having "one product to run on all HW." Windows CE is specialized for embedded systems (much more so than iOS or Android are) and is distinct from the main Windows NT family. It occupies a completely different market segment from consumer operating systems, a major difference being that Windows CE is designed for real-time applications.

The quote doesn't work properly as I'm on a different editor than the one you are using, complete Huddlers fault, and I therefore just reply below your post (it even just skips an entire sentence, I simply blame Huddler)

Ok, stopping the video is not what is happening, but if a video is being blocked by another window OSX is now smart enough to not use any resources for the underlying window. My bad; it doesn't stop playing.

I really like WP8, apart from the clipped text at the edge. It's definitely new, a bit of a shame, for them anyway, that it never got off. Though with MS they always seem to throw more money at the problem and with their persistence they often make something work out in the end.

As for Windows CE, it may have been the wrong example, but the point remains: Bill had this vision of Windows Everywhere, which kinda makes sense, except their implementation is all wrong. They shouldn't try to shoehorn the full Windows onto a tablet. It's a different device, with a different purpose, and works completely different from a mouse/keyboard PC experience.

Like I said; they'll never get it.