New photos of Apple's sapphire plant show build progressing as rumors point to project expansion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Fresh photos of Apple's Mesa, Ariz., sapphire plant, built in partnership with GT Advanced Technologies, show construction of external fixtures is progressing as planned, while a new rumor claims the site may be expanded to a neighboring building.

Arizona

AppleInsider has received a batch of photos showing recent progress at the Apple-GT Advanced sapphire plant, a large nondescript building in Arizona that looks to be nearly complete.

Arizona

The tipster says construction personnel are working around the clock and even on weekends to get the job done by June. Documents filed with the U.S. International Trade Administration in January revealed Apple's "go live" target date was sometime in February, meaning the plant may be partially active as construction completes.

Arizona

Rumors floating around the local electrical industry in Arizona claim Apple may be mulling a project expansion into a building on the site that was previously owned by photovoltaic panel maker First Solar. The purpose of the support structure is unknown.

The Apple-GT Advanced factory, devised under the codename "Project Cascade," is said to be responsible for the production of a "new" sapphire part bound for a consumer Apple device. some speculate the component will either be a replacement part for current hardware, such as an iPhone screen, or something completely new.

Arizona

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ...some speculate the component will either be a replacement part for current hardware, such as an iPhone screen, or something completely new.

What other options are there?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...some speculate the component will either be a replacement part for current hardware, such as an iPhone screen, or something completely new.

Camera lens glass

• Reply 3 of 51
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Camera lens glass

That would fall under "replacement part for current hardware."
  • Reply 4 of 51
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sapphire glass window panes for Apple Campus 2!

• Reply 5 of 51
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Snow-blower-proof windows for their Fifth Ave, NY store.

Edit: Hell, shoulda read the end of the thread.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member
    Quote:

Maybe a watch. Maybe a ring or some sort of wearable pin or jewelry. Who knows? Remember that the flip-open Communicator of Star Trek (TOS) was the inspiration for the original cell phone and later flip-phones. Maybe the Communications pin of Star Trek (NG) will inspire something that clips to a lapel or dress strap. 

Who knows what genius lurks in the hearts of Apple engineers.*

*a tip of the hat to Frank Readick Jr., the voice of the Shadow who first spoke the famous words that I am paraphrasing.

• Reply 7 of 51
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    I think solipsismx's point is that the author said "some speculate the component will either be a replacement part for current hardware, such as an iPhone screen, or something completely new". You don't have to speculate that - those are the only two options!! I guess a third option would be a replacement part for old hardware but that makes no sense.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    ronmg wrote: »
    I think solipsismx's point is that the author said "some speculate the component will either be a replacement part for current hardware, such as an iPhone screen, or something completely new". You don't have to speculate that - those are the only two options!! I guess a third option would be a replacement part for old hardware but that makes no sense.

I picked up on it which is why my response was something completely ridiculous. However, if Apple does retrofit the 5th Ave. store with sapphire panes, I'll deny calling it ridiculous, delete this post and claim Google is doing evil by inventing a cached version.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member

LOL, ChristophB.  Not totally ridiculous.  As someone who appreciates fine watches, seeing a giant sapphire window pane in an Apple store would probably bring tears of joy to my eyes!!  And I could see Apple doing that just to send a message to the world that they are the leaders in sapphire (as soon as they are up and running in mass production, of course!!).

• Reply 10 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Camera lens glass
    Yep. Huge potential there. I can see a Apple trying to completely out do the industry with an advanced camera design. Some of the patents and rumors point in that direction.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    darklite wrote: »
    And I could see Apple doing that just to send a message to the world that they are the leaders in sapphire (as soon as they are up and running in mass production, of course!!).

What other precious gems can they make?

Apple's history of competition:

Apple v IBM
    Apple v MS
    Apple v Google
    Apple v De Beers?
  • Reply 12 of 51
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

And I could see Apple doing that just to send a message to the world that they are the leaders in sapphire (as soon as they are up and running in mass production, of course!!).

Apple v IBM

Apple v MS

Apple v Google

Apple v De Beers?

I remember watching a piece on something like 60 minutes about a company that can manufacture ruby. They put a dye in the gems that is visible with ultraviolet light or something like that so people can spot theirs as not being natural. They had people of course request batches without the dye. Who needs ethics when you can manufacture Ruby?

My guess it is for upgrading the existing hardware or for something new. 

• Reply 13 of 51
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Lenses for Apple's wearable video screens, stereo of course, called iWatch.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    flaneur wrote: »
    Lenses for Apple's wearable video screens, stereo of course, called iWatch.

So far you and everyone else have mentioned a current part or something new.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    200mm zoom lens is a quality purchase. Good for AI to expense it in the future.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    darklite wrote: »
    Sapphire glass window panes for Apple Campus 2!

That falls under 'something completely new'.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    christophb wrote: »
    Snow-blower-proof windows for their Fifth Ave, NY store.

Edit: Hell, shoulda read the end of the thread.

That falls under 'replacement part'.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    waybacmac wrote: »
    Maybe a watch. Maybe a ring or some sort of wearable pin or jewelry. Who knows? Remember that the flip-open Communicator of Star Trek (TOS) was the inspiration for the original cell phone and later flip-phones. Maybe the Communications pin of Star Trek (NG) will inspire something that clips to a lapel or dress strap. 
    <p style="margin-left:200px;">Who knows what genius lurks in the hearts of Apple engineers.*</p>

[SIZE=9px]*a tip of the hat to Frank Readick Jr., the voice of the Shadow who first spoke the famous words that I am paraphrasing.[/SIZE]

That falls under 'something completely new'.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    ronmg wrote: »

So you're back to two options.
  • Reply 20 of 51

Apple v IBM
    Apple v MS
    Apple v Google
    Apple v De Beers?

Apple v the media