Microsoft Office for iPad to reportedly debut as soon as Mar. 27 [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    At least this rumor has an expiration date. I wish they all had one.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    togantogan Posts: 16member
    Putting the most used doc creator on the most used tablet. It really took too long. Win based mobile devices didn't take so this is the next step and good thing. I personally won't buy or rent it as I really don't/won't use it on my iPad but I'll guess we'll find out soon what the price for office convenience is.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    I think the Office365 subscription model is great. For $100 a year, you can install it on up to 5 different Windows or Mac computers. If you have a family with kids in school, it's a phenomenal deal.

I expect the announcement will be that this service is being extended to the iPad.

And let's face it, Apple's iWork apps don't support all the file types that the MS Office Suite does. And sometimes those are required by other applications you have to interface with.

There's no way that children need Office! And iWork is infinitely cheaper.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Brilliant!  Competitors should start using that line in the marketing materials.  "Google Stuff: Free...Like Rape!"

Seriously, I don't understand why more companies don't go after Google's creepy business model.  Microsoft gave a half-hearted effort with the Scroogled campaign, but someone really needs to bring the hammer down.

Google: Don't be evil

Because spying isn't evil.

It's just creepy. XP

Actually, if you think about it, their business of selling your information is sort of like slave trading....

• Reply 25 of 36

I already have an Office 365 subscription so I'm hoping the apps are free for the iPad.

Given the differing strategies that Microsoft and Apple have, I think Microsoft may consider every installation on iOS as one of the 5 computers the subscription can be used on. If that is the case, it is limiting, but considering that's how MS makes its money, I won't be surprised.

What I am concerned about is what happens going forward. MS are notorious of being very unhelpful when you want to legitimately uninstall their software on one machine and use it on a new one. Will this happen with iOS as well? Will they allow me to uninstall it from my Air and install it on my next iPad without counting it as another installation from the allowed 5?

• Reply 26 of 36
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Any Office for iPad with a subscription service will be DOA. So many companies are sticking with older, non-subscription versions of office because the new pricing model sucks. Hopefully this new CEO won't make such a dumb mistake like the previous ape did.

Have you two Canadians met...???  One of you gets it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Office 365 is already a billion-dollar business and one of MS' fastest growing services so I'm not convinced it's DOA.  Maybe among people who "hang out" at Apple rumor sites, sure but for people outside of that, I don't think so.  But time will tell.

Actually I'm opposed to "software as a service" ...but a) compared to Adobe's extortion level sub-only prices and b) if you have an Office using family a screaming bargain by comparison...

Meanwhile, I've read two articles on this on Apple sites, and neither mentioned something that's SCREAMINGLY obvious:  Touch Office is coming out on the iPAD before it comes out on ANY MS device.... (PC's, Surfaces, whatever) (and when Win 8 never should've been released - over two years ago now without the native Metro productivity apps it STILL doesn't have, while Apple will....)

This has to be a first and a meaningful "tip o' the hat" in Apple's direction....

Quote:

Office for iPad, code-named Miramar, is looking increasingly likely to make it to market ahead of Microsoft's touch-first version of Office (code-named Gemini), as I've blogged previously.

~Mary Jo Foley

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57620438-75/microsofts-nadella-may-reveal-office-on-ipad-on-march-27/

And it also shows that Nadella is likely no Ballmer, and that's a good thing for everyone.  On the planet.

• Reply 27 of 36
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Any Office for iPad with a subscription service will be DOA. So many companies are sticking with older, non-subscription versions of office because the new pricing model sucks. Hopefully this new CEO won't make such a dumb mistake like the previous ape did.

Dumb? Microsoft is getting their asses kicked since 01, by Apple and recently Google. Despite all that, they had record profits recently. It isn't dumb. The ones that will buy are the ones that are dumb. MS is genius.

• Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Actually, if you think about it, their business of selling your information is sort of like slave trading....

Or pimping.  But people will do anything for subsidized hardware/free software, right?

Scary.

• Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jasondwelsh View Post

I think the Office365 subscription model is great. For $100 a year, you can install it on up to 5 different Windows or Mac computers. If you have a family with kids in school, it's a phenomenal deal.

I expect the announcement will be that this service is being extended to the iPad.

And let's face it, Apple's iWork apps don't support all the file types that the MS Office Suite does. And sometimes those are required by other applications you have to interface with.

In all the years I've been in the professional world doing IT, which goes back to when Clinton was first elected, I can count on the fingers of both hands how many times I've needed some other file type...and often it was one that MS didn't support in Office (WordPerfect and Works), and today, 2014, those different file types have been shot with a silver bullet, staked, and beheaded.

• Reply 30 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

At least this rumor has an expiration date. I wish they all had one.

They do, but most are soft rather than hard.

The 2.5” iPhone, for example, had a soft expiration date, as did the Apple HDTV. 

• Reply 31 of 36
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

I know of enterprise level customers in higher ed who have switched from in house email to Office 365 - in part because it removes the need for them to owns and operate the hardware and server licenses etc required to run your own Exchange farm for 40,000+ students and faculty. Plus it allows the students to take their email address with them when they leave without that cost being carried by the institution. 

I do not know anything about the licensing or pricing aspects of it but it is a good example of the pay for only what you need idea behind "the cloud" 

I know of another smaller institution who recently upgraded their IT infrastructure and are continuing to use Exchange as it is only a small part of a larger VMware farm at their campus of several thousand users. 

• Reply 32 of 36

@BestKeptSecret

deactivating is easy. Login to Office.com and select manage installs. You can even share your installations under other email accounts.

Another point people are missing with the subscription to Office 365 (especially for small business) is that you don't have to buy servers and pay for managed IT, Microsoft host everything for you. And for the home user, you are not stuck with Office 2013, under the subscription you also get the newest version when they come out. (This has been happening in the Videogame community for years as you pay a monthly subscription, but you don't have to worry about expansions)

Again, iCloud integration would make live much easier, but well see if that happens.

• Reply 33 of 36
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Excel and Access are the only two programs in that suite that are relevant to Mac/iOS Users. Access is more niche and less desired by the majority of Mac/iOS users.

Excel could get $100 a year from me without question for my iPad or Mac. When you are a craftsman, you try to use the best tool for the job. Excel is just that for those of use in business. It is the best tool for the job.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    emoeller wrote: »
    Well March 27th is the start of MacWorld in SF - so yes that would be a good time to make the announcement....

Wait... I thought MacWorld was always in January... did they change it?
  • Reply 35 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Wait... I thought MacWorld was always in January... did they change it?

Without Apple, they don’t really have a solid market.

• Reply 36 of 36
    Without Apple, they don’t really have a solid market.

But they've had Macworld for the last 3 years without Apple.

I was just wondering why they changed the date.