Just went to my first Apple Store...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In WestFarms Mall in Farmington, Connecticut. I originally went to Farmington to go to the Big & Tall men's clothiers, then remembered I once planned a trip to he closest Apple Storein the mall at FARMINGTON! My luck! Very, very busy traffiv, it being the day after Thanksgiving,but i made it and walked around til i found the Apple Store.

Apple Sales Reps are wonderful. They know about Macs, they are generally excellent salespeople, and they LET YOU PLAY WITH STUFF! This is the coolest computer store anywhere! Everywhere else, I open up the screensaver controls to amuse myself with flying through mazes, and sales reps come and ahrrumph. At Apple, you can do anything that does not actively hurtthe products on display.

I saw my first 22" Cinema Display. Dear Lord that thing is big. I've seen and drooled over Studio Displays before, but this display really take the cake. If I earn $6000 during my high-paying job next summer, I'm guying the highest-grade Apple comp and that display. Yum.

I also saw my first iPod. Hmm. Small and tasty. Like a stack of credit cards small. Interface is intuitive, sound quality through the buds is nice (not great), and I played the Brix game for alittle while. One thing: the mtetal case is covered with fingerprints. I didn't bring any money or any credit cards not near their limits already, knowing that if I brought some, I'd buy an Ipod. Now I'm wondering. it's cool, but I could buy 26 CDs at $15 apiece with the money. I prefer music to the thrill of the iPod, I think.

Most of the machines, but surprisingly not all ran OS X. One of the machines connected to an esoteric video camera was running 9. Dunno why. Played with that for a wile

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Most of the machines, but surprisingly not all ran OS X. One of the machines connected to an esoteric video camera was running 9. Dunno why. Played with that for a wile<hr></blockquote>

Because Final Cut Pro isn't out for OS X yet.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I went to the one at the Mall of America (talk about traffic!) I'd never seen the new notebooks, the iPod or any of the LCD displays in person. Sweet holy hell, I want all of them in the worst way! The store definetly had it's desired effect on me.

Are all the stores almost blindingly shiney and white inside?

Jeff

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by jeffyboy:

<strong>Are all the stores almost blindingly shiney and white inside?

]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Yes, the store was very clean and very bright. Lots of music playing from different computers, and a big flatscreen was displaying all of Apple's recent commericials/
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    When I first heard about the Stores opening I thought it was a bad idea in the current environment, but, wow, no picture or commercial can do the hardware justice!

I have no idea where I'd see a Tibook or the displays if it weren't for the Mall of America, so, at least for us out in the sticks, a brick and mortar Apple store makes a ton of sense.

Oh, yeah, a Mac bashing friend of mine even said he'd consider the big switch after playing with an iBook.

Jeff

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I also just went to my first Apple store this weekend, the newly opened Buffalo store. I went on Sunday, only 3 days after it opened. I had to drive an hour to get there. It was one of the most disappointing experiences. I have read about all the other stores and was very excited about going. When I got there, there was about 5 customers and 10 store workers. They were all very nice and the store was cool, but where were the crowds? They had a security guard and a news camera team there but almost no people. I hope this was because I went at 1 on a Sunday when the Bills were playing on TV. We all know how crazy those Bills fans are.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I almost forgot ( ok I did forget ). Here is a link to a set of pictures of the Buffalo Apple store on the opening day: <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/fritzw/PhotoAlbum3.html."; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/fritzw/PhotoAlbum3.html.</a>; Kind of disappointing to see almost no one there. I think Apple may have made a mistake by putting an Apple store in Buffalo and not Rochester.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by MasterZeus:

<strong>I also just went to my first Apple store this weekend, the newly opened Buffalo store. I went on Sunday, only 3 days after it opened. I had to drive an hour to get there. It was one of the most disappointing experiences. I have read about all the other stores and was very excited about going. When I got there, there was about 5 customers and 10 store workers. They were all very nice and the store was cool, but where were the crowds? They had a security guard and a news camera team there but almost no people. I hope this was because I went at 1 on a Sunday when the Bills were playing on TV. We all know how crazy those Bills fans are.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's usually only a HUGE crowd when the store first opens. I know when I went to Tice's Corner in NJ 3 days after it opened there weren't many people there.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey, at least you guys get to go to one... I'm out of luck in Western Canada. Maybe when Apple decides to put a store in the NW, like Seattle or something.

Might be holding my breath for a long time...