When will nVidia sell Mac cards?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I wish someone just sold a compatiable mac card instead of all this flashing business.

Heres my story: I bought a Geoforce II MX400 card knowing that a friend of mine flashed the very same card and worked in his G4, the same one as I. So I bought this card but I botched the flashing procedure because of an Applescript problem. So I sent the card to my friend. He flashed the mac on a PC and it worked in his G4. I just got the card today and installed it and it doesnt work

Will I ever rid myself of this ATI Rage Pro?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    As far as I know, NVIDIA only sells the chipsets; it's up to someone else to make the cards you can buy.

Regarding who might sell a Mac card to you, I don't know who that would be. Apple is an unlikely candidate, I suppose, but they seem to be the only ones selling them at all.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Mac The Fork ]

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Mac The Fork ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    I am sick of the Mac video card situation. The best card I can get in my G4 400 is a stupid Radeon 32MB...for $150! Let's see, on the PC side of things I could have a GeForce 3 Ti 200 for this price that would kick around a foolish little Radeon. Then again, if Lacie or someone made a mac card they'd price it for three times the PC version, nobody would buy it, and they'd drop the product.

Low marketshare bites, eh? Oh well, at least my Rage 128 isn't powering Windows.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Making a mac geoforce II MX400 card is relatively easy, its just a different rom. Sigh, how much longer will companies leave this untapped market alone?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>I am sick of the Mac video card situation. The best card I can get in my G4 400 is a stupid Radeon 32MB...for $150! Let's see, on the PC side of things I could have a GeForce 3 Ti 200 for this price that would kick around a foolish little Radeon.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're right, the Radeon is the best card you can get for your system. Anything more would be wasted on it with its older AGP 2x slot. It's like trying to stick a 5 liter engine inside a Geo...it just wouldn't work like you'd want it to.

Just buy the Radeon and be happy with it. It really is a decent card, even to this day. Trust me on this, I have one in my old G4 500.