Microsoft Office for iPad launches today, requires Office 365 subscription for editing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I'd have happily shelled out a £100 for this. No way am I going subscription though.
  • Reply 22 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I wonder if women (or gay men for that matter) feel the need to comment on the attractiveness or otherwise of Mark Zuckerberg, Tim Cook et al when they do product introductions?

The tech world has a long way to go with its treatment of women.......

If the most arduous thing in your day is being complimented on your attractiveness, I'd say you're doing just fine.

• Reply 23 of 104
    Effing joke.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

There are already compatibility issues between Office for Windows and Mac. I can only imagine the nightmare of compatibility issues we will see on Office for iPad.

I have been using Keynote on my Mac and iPad to create lecture presentations. Works great even when I do presentations on the classrooms PC using Chrome web browser.

Thank you MS but I am sticking with iWork.

PS. Next time MS don't wait years. You have wasted valuable time and people already moved on.

• Reply 25 of 104
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    This is a "win-win" for both Apple iPad and Microsoft Office.

Anyone hoping for a freebie version of Office will no doubt be disappointed. This is called a "disappointium model" for those folks.
  • Reply 26 of 104
    Quote:

I wonder if women (or gay men for that matter) feel the need to comment on the attractiveness or otherwise of Mark Zuckerberg, Tim Cook et al when they do product introductions?

I wonder if lesbians will feel the need to comment on the attractiveness of Julia White?

• Reply 27 of 104
    Yeah, I'll pass on Office for the iPad
  • Reply 28 of 104
    Actually I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for crazy uncle Steve...

He personally passed out about 400 (free) copies of Office 3.0 to a Mac user group I was a member of when he came to be a speaker at one of our meetings - Hell, we even had Bill Gates as a speaker at one time.

==========

I'm assuming that I won't be able to "Edit" documents on my purchased copy of Word, but only via the subscription version - anyone know the facts?
  • Reply 29 of 104
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    100 bucks...a year?! LOL. Piss off.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dimmok wrote: »
    That Julia White is easy on the eyes

Anyone is easy on the eyes compared to Balmer.

I guess MS will need to change their W8 commercials.
  • Reply 31 of 104
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

I don't think commenting about the attractiveness of a woman is treating a woman in a bad way. I don't know too many women that don't like to hear about being considered attractive. It's all about how it's said. Now, that said, if it's said in a sexist manner then that's a different story.

• Reply 32 of 104
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

So, if a user already has a 365 sub, purchased prior to downloading the free iPad app, with that sub, when logging in, enable editing? I'm guessing yes, thus bypassing the 30% commission paid to Apple's App store.  Seems like MSFT has a way around the App store commissions unless Apple has done something to prevent this.  

• Reply 32 of 104
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    I'd buy it, but I'm certainly NOT subscribing to it.

Subscribing for what? To maybe get bug fixes for bug that shouldn't have been there in the first place? To make sure a company gets money on a perpetual basis like a corporate tax payment for no actual new utility provided, to take them any real incentive to innovate, after all, people pay no matter what?

What if your carpenter wanted money each time you sit down at the table he made?

Pay per use is an euphemism for theft.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieL View Post

Relax Paul. They comment about women in tech because they are as elusive as unicorns.

Maybe one of the reasons women in tech are as elusive as unicorns is because when they do an outstanding job, the quality of their work is not the thing they are complimented on, it's their appearance.

Engineering has a catastrophic problem with recruiting women and it needs to be solved, not ignored.

• Reply 35 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

The only bad part about this is the fact that it is Microsoft. For a company that waited far too long to even bring it to iPad, why would I use the app, knowing that there is a chance it won't be fully supported or updated for that matter.

Don't worry, they certainly have a plan to gimp Office for iOS just as they have intentionally gimped Office for Mac since time began.  Just get the folks in the door first.  Build some dependency.  Then drop the hammer and push them kicking & screaming towards Surface and Windows 9 Super Duper Platinum Professional Edition.

A leopard doesn't change its stripes.  Even if it sends its Sweaty & Loud CEO packing.

• Reply 36 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Just watched the livestream, good presentation. Nadella is such a massive step up from Ballmer. I like the new approach they're taking. I probably won't subscribe to it, but office on the iPad looks very powerful, well thought out, and user friendly. Kudos to them. This pretty much eliminates the #1 bullet point against the iPad, and for Windows Tablets- No Office. Even if noone here wants to admit it, this is pretty major.

Notice they didnt reveal an Android version, and likely never will.

I agree. I can see corporations buying it in droves at negotiated prices that are lower than advertised prices. (I have no doubt that they'll ultimately come up with some type of student edition pricing sooner than later).

From my standpoint, to the extent that it enhances (certainly does not, in any way, detract from) the value of iPads, it's a good thing.

• Reply 37 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieL View Post

Relax Paul. They comment about women in tech because they are as elusive as unicorns.

But comments like that -- and how it is perceived by women for what it betrays -- might also help explain why they're as elusive as unicorns in tech...

• Reply 38 of 104
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

Subscription-based? Cloud-based? Always online? No, thanks - irrelevant news, to say the least.

• Reply 39 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEddie View Post

Interesting move! I didn't know that Apple allows such things.

As long as it is not an in-app purchase or a link to an external website to purchase the subscription, they probably comply with Apple's restrictions. Most likely depends on what sort of message is in the application to inform users that they need a 365 subscription in order to edit documents.

• Reply 40 of 104
    Quote:

Maybe one of the reasons women in tech are as elusive as unicorns is because when they do an outstanding job, the quality of their work is not the thing they are complimented on, it's their appearance.

Thank you Officer Paul of the PC Police.

I suppose we should see all people as androgynous, faceless entities.  Like computers.  Wait, but not Macs, they're attractive.  Maybe like Dell boxes from the 90s.  Yeah, that'll work.

I don't know the woman but she appears to be very good at what she does.  She is obviously a very intelligent and highly-skilled person.  A great presenter.  And attractive as well.  The complete package.  I wish I were the male equivalent.  I wouldn't even feel discriminated against for it.

You did note we make fun of Ballmer's appearance (among other things)?  Geez, can't a white male catch a break in the tech industry?  ;)