Microsoft Office for iPad launches today, requires Office 365 subscription for editing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Didn't get passed the word "subscription" in the title.

• Reply 42 of 104
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Both Apple and MS stock are down today (along with the broader market) so obviously this announcement was a big 'meh' to Wall Street.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    felipurfelipur Posts: 42member
    So, if a user already has a 365 sub, purchased prior to downloading the free iPad app, with that sub, when logging in, enable editing? I'm guessing yes, thus bypassing the 30% commission paid to Apple's App store.  Seems like MSFT has a way around the App store commissions unless Apple has done something to prevent this.  

Apple doesn't take a percent of subscriptions unless they are purchased through the app. Never have and the free app linked to subscription purchased elsewhere model is standard operating procedure (Netflix, Hulu plus, amazon prime, etc).
  • Reply 44 of 104
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    :D
  • Reply 45 of 104
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I converted to iWork some time ago. It fulfils my needs.

I will not buy a recurring license to software. Not no way, not no how.

Rather interesting to see MS continue to marginalize itself. When I have a tech need, MS is the last place I think of.

That said, I'm forced by my employer to use their stuff.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

I don't know the woman but she appears to be very good at what she does.  She is obviously a very intelligent and highly-skilled person.  A great presenter.  And attractive as well.  The complete package.  I wish I were the male equivalent.  I wouldn't even feel discriminated against for it.

You did note we make fun of Ballmer's appearance (among other things)?  Geez, can't a white male catch a break in the tech industry?  ;)

So you describe her as "The complete package".  If she were unattractive she would be an incomplete package?

I made fun of Ballmer because he ran across the stage shouting "Whoop", "I love this company" and "Developers, developers, developers, developers".  That guys actions were ridiculous, not his appearance.

I firmly believe that in an industry where we continue to struggle to find talent, we need to make sure we attract and retain the best people.  Sadly, women are put off entering tech because of things like this (while I'm sure there was an enormous amount more to it, Julie Ann Horvath leaving GitHub because of the sexism she faced is a very public indication that we have a problem with sexism in our industry) and we need to resolve it.  Engineering will continue to struggle for talent if we provide reasons for 50% of the populace to not consider it.

• Reply 47 of 104
    jamieljamiel Posts: 20member

I seriously doubt that's the reason there aren't many women in tech.  If that were true, there would be no women in any career.

• Reply 48 of 104
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I wonder if women (or gay men for that matter) feel the need to comment on the attractiveness or otherwise of Mark Zuckerberg, Tim Cook et al when they do product introductions?

The tech world has a long way to go with its treatment of women.......
    Yes they do. I have no idea why the liberal left wants everyone to be blind and think everyone looks the same.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    dannshdannsh Posts: 24member
    Microsoft lost me when it went to the new subscription program. I removed Word 11 from my machine.
  • Reply 50 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

So you describe her as "The complete package".  If she were unattractive she would be an incomplete package?

Of course.  Just like a man.  That's not sexism.  That's human perception/desire.

Quote:

I made fun of Ballmer because he ran across the stage shouting "Whoop", "I love this company" and "Developers, developers, developers, developers".  That guys actions were ridiculous, not his appearance.

No, the appearance was ridiculous too.  Hey, he's got his billions to make him feel better.  I'm ugly and I got nothing.  So there's that.

Quote:

I firmly believe that in an industry where we continue to struggle to find talent, we need to make sure we attract and retain the best people.  Sadly, women are put off entering tech because of things like this

Yes, I'm sure calling Julia White "attractive" just killed the plans for a career in tech for thousands of young women.

Of course there's sexism in tech.  And the world.  But calling a presenter attractive - because, well, she is - does not seem to be cause for alarm.

Ugly women (and men) may disagree.

• Reply 51 of 104

The Ribbon menu?  Forget it.  I hate the Ribbon menu.

It probably supports OneDrive as well.  Forget it.

Office 365 Subscription? Well I can understand that but... Forget it.

I'll stick to iWork and iCloud thank you.

• Reply 52 of 104
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Macworld's initial review is Office for iPad is as good or better than iWork. Which is good as it will force Apple to make iWork even better (and hopefully provide more frequent updates). I still wonder though if the delta is enough to get people to pay $9/mo when iWork suite is free.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2114020/first-look-microsoft-office-for-ipad-takes-aim-at-iwork.html
  • Reply 53 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

When is it available? I couldn't find it on the App Store.

Edit: I found it

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/microsoft-corporation/id298856275

Then slide iPad apps to find Word, Excel, PowerPoint as separate apps.

I guess they only offer those three apps.

• Reply 54 of 104
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Can you edit on a plane or where you do not have an internet connection? I wonder if they through they through.

• Reply 55 of 104
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Another subscription service I'll say no to.
  • Reply 56 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Macworld's initial review is Office for iPad is as good or better than iWork. Which is good as it will force Apple to make iWork even better (and hopefully provide more frequent updates).

It is alarming how un-seriously Apple seems to be taking iWork right now.  Things were great (but needed to get better), then they took a major step backwards with the new versions.  Fine, new foundation, new framework, we get it.  A necessary setback to move forward.  Great.  But how about we step on the gas pedal a little?  (Or better yet, a lot?)

• Reply 57 of 104
    steven n. wrote: »
    Yes they do. I have no idea why the liberal left wants everyone to be blind and think everyone looks the same.

What are you talking about? Straw man much? Do you even know what liberal means?
  • Reply 58 of 104
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Wake me up when it doesn't require an Office 365 subscription... zzzzzzz.
  • Reply 59 of 104
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Can you edit on a plane or where you do not have an internet connection? I wonder if they through they through.
    Good point. Also, I wonder if you what you what?
  • Reply 60 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

If I were a woman (which I'm not), I'd much rather see an attractive man present a new product than Crazy Uncle Ballmer.

As a man, I'd much rather see an attractive woman present a new product than Crazy Uncle Ballmer.

Also, as a man, I'd much rather see an attractive man present a new product than Crazy Uncle Ballmer.

I hope we're not going to turn this into a giant debate about sexism because someone called someone else attractive?  :rolleyes:

and,  I'd much rather see her than watching another Johnny Ive's commercial...