Microsoft Office for iPad arrives: Word, Excel & PowerPoint now available to download

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2014
Just moments after Microsoft Office for iPad was announced, the trio of applications that make up the industry leading productivity suite hit the App Store and can now be downloaded.

Microsoft Word for iPad, Microsoft Excel for iPad and Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad are all available as free downloads. Users can view documents for free with the software, but require a subscription to Office 365 in order to make edits.

The full list of features for Word on iPad, according to Microsoft, are:
  • Word documents look beautiful
    • Images, tables, charts, SmartArt, footnotes, equations are all there, nicely formatted.
    • Word documents look great, just as they do on your PC or Mac.
    • View email attachments and access all your Word documents from OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint.
    • Pick up from where you left off because Word for iPad knows what you were working on last, no matter what device you were using.

• Create and edit with confidence
    • When you edit a document, your content and formatting are maintained across all your devices - PC, Mac, tablet and phone.
    • Express your ideas exactly the way you want, with rich formatting including fonts, pictures, tables, charts, textboxes, shapes, footnotes, page layout and more.
    • Track changes, add comments and work simultaneously with others on the same document.
    • Word automatically saves your document, so you can rest assured that you don't lose all your work while you're on the go.
    • Simply share your work with others by emailing a hyperlink or the entire document.
  • A familiar Microsoft Office experience
    • It's easy to pick up the app and get started, because it's like the Word experience you already know.
    • The familiar navigation and menu options are built for a touch experience. No keyboard required.

Features of Excel, according to Microsoft, are:
  • Excel spreadsheets look stunning
    • Formulas, tables, charts, comments, hyperlinks, sparklines, conditional formatting are all there, so you see the whole picture.
    • Excel spreadsheets look great, just as they do on your PC or Mac.
    • View email attachments and access all your Excel spreadsheets from OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint.
    • Pick up from where you left off because Excel for iPad knows what you were working on last, no matter what device you were using.

• When you edit a spreadsheet, your content and formatting are maintained across all your devices - PC, Mac, tablet and phone.
    • Turn numbers into insights, with support for formulas, charts, tables, sorting, filtering, and more.
    • A special formula keyboard lets you add numbers and formulas rapidly - much easier than with the standard touch keyboard.
    • Excel automatically saves your spreadsheet, so you can rest assured that you don't lose all your work while you're on the go.
    • Simply share your work with others by emailing a hyperlink or the entire spreadsheet.
  • It's easy to pick up the app and get started, because it's like the Excel experience you already know.
  • The familiar navigation and menu options are built for a touch experience. No keyboard required.

And finally, Microsoft's advertised features for PowerPoint on iPad are:
  • PowerPoint presentations look amazing
    • Images, tables, charts, SmartArt, transitions, animations are all there, nicely formatted.
    • PowerPoint presentation look great, just as they do on your PC or Mac.
    • When presenting, use the built-in laser pointer, pens or highlighters to get your point across.
    • View email attachments and access all your PowerPoint presentations from OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint.
    • Pick up from where you left off because PowerPoint for iPad knows what you were working on last, no matter what device you were using.

• When you edit a document, your content and formatting are maintained across all your devices - PC, Mac, tablet and phone.
    • Express your ideas exactly the way you want, with full support for rich formatting including fonts, pictures, tables, textboxes, shapes, transitions, speaker notes and more.
    • Work simultaneously with others on the same presentation.
    • PowerPoint automatically saves your presentation, so you can rest assured that you don't lose all your work while you're on the go.
    • Simply share your work with others by emailing a hyperlink or the entire presentation.
  • It's easy to pick up the app and get started, because it's like the PowerPoint experience you already know.
A qualifying Office 365 subscription is required to edit and create PowerPoint presentations. Qualifying plans include:
  • Office 365 Home
  • Office 365 Small Business Premium
  • Office 365 Midsize Business
  • Office 365 Enterprise E3 and E4 (Enterprise and Government)
  • Office 365 Education A3 and A4
  • Office 365 ProPlus
  • Office 365 University
  • Office 365 trial subscriptions
Those who don't have a subscription can buy Office 365 Home from within any of the free applications on iPad. Office 365 Home also includes up-to-date versions of Office for up to 5 PCs or Macs and 5 mobile devices, plus an additional 20 gigabytes of OneDrive cloud storage, and Skype world minutes where available.

Office 365 subscriptions made through the iPad applications are in-app purchases charged through Apple's iTunes account. Subscriptions will automatically renew 24 hours prior to the end of the current subscription period, unless auto-renew is disabled beforehand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    No thanks
  • Reply 2 of 51

**crickets**

• Reply 3 of 51
    Seems like Office 365 is free for home use. For business use, it'll cost.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Sounds awesome.....

Except for the SUBSCRIPTION model!

Pass.

I have enough subscriptions in my life. Annoying. I want to own the software. Last Microsoft office I bought was 2008

Still works on Mac and I'd like an iPad version but not like this.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    dannshdannsh Posts: 24member
    Subscription model lost me as a consumer. Remove Microsoft Word from my iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

"Those who don't have a subscription can buy Office 365 Home from within any of the free applications on iPad."

That is the deal breaker for me.  Don't want to pay that yearly fee.

• Reply 7 of 51
    I feel like the tide just turned, and Microsoft had to give in... Go apple!
  • Reply 8 of 51
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

I'd like to try excel but there's no way I'm buying 360.

• Reply 9 of 51
    But I was always told by Android fanboys that iOS devices are just toys? What gives?!?
  • Reply 10 of 51
    davdav Posts: 115member

Thanks, but I'll stick with Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.

• Reply 11 of 51
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

No thanks.

• Reply 12 of 51
    orup70orup70 Posts: 5member
    [QUOTE]Office 365 subscriptions made through the iPad applications are in-app purchases charged through Apple's iTunes account. Subscriptions will automatically renew 24 hours prior to the end of the current subscription period, unless auto-renew is disabled beforehand.[/QUOTE]

Interesting! Auto-renewable subscriptions are not allowed for services or apps in App Store. At least for all other developers.…but maybe Microsoft has made a special deal with Apple. Bad for other developers though!

/ Påhl
  • Reply 13 of 51
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    I may give word a go to see if it is more compatible when viewing the documents that I get emailed for work - Pages doesn't always like some of the fonts and weird table structures people I work with seem so keen on....

...but £79.99 a year for (the cheapest!) Office 365 subscription to cover the 7 or 8 times I may ever need to edit? I rather think not.

Edit: No printing support? WTF Microsoft! http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word/compare-word-for-ipad-with-word-for-mac-and-word-for-windows-HA103458694.aspx?CTT=1
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Hahahaha

I like Office, but not well enough to pay $120 a year, less a day (which is what it is if they renew 24 hours before the end date).

Thanks for almost nothing Microsoft.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    I know that MS Office products are the leaders in companies, and some home customers. hell, I use it. (MS OFFICE 2011 Mac edition just to be clean on that). Here are my notes:
    1. No internet, no work. So ready to pay a lot of data services. I hope that you can work with it offline until you have a signal or wifi so you can sync your document. believe me with i tell you, ...ready to go and get your wallet.
    2. still not out.
    3. There are apps like iWork's that do the same, and it is free for the most and a small price to get for other users. I did not have the time to do the iWork's apps on the ipad, but a friend of mine use it everyday on the Ipad Air and he is happy. There are some apps there, that do the same thing and are excellent for the most, for free. Remember the app that google purchase a year ago? i did use that so much on my travels to china that I need to carry my charger with me and all where store on my Ipad.
    4. I need to check if you need a MS account. most probably do. Since in order to use Skype in windows 8.1 you need a MS account and merge with it. Not in a million years. and a new email no way. I have a few already.
    5. And pay a subscription no way. If Ms tell me that you can have a portion of the office on my ipad, installed, work with it, and print, safe my data for a $$ of cash, then that is to consider and i could get it. They are a software company. that is what they do best.

So.... get my the point!
  • Reply 16 of 51
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

• Office 365 Home

• Office 365 Small Business Premium

• Office 365 Midsize Business

• Office 365 Enterprise E3 and E4 (Enterprise and Government)

• Office 365 Education A3 and A4

• Office 365 ProPlus

• Office 365 University

• Office 365 trial subscriptions

Some companies never change! (Thier business model though!)

• Reply 17 of 51
    jacodbjacodb Posts: 23member
    I hate Office. I refuse to have it on my computer and I most certainly don't want it on my iPad. But alas all those Windows fanboys will buy it. Hopefully it will not make it to Android.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    Why would I use this when Apple's suites are better? Pages, numbers and keynote are way better than microsofts laggy junk ware. Plus, it's a cheap one time fee
  • Reply 19 of 51
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Stupid, I don't want another bill.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    I don't know $9.99 doesn't seem that bad. But it's terrible, will have to think about this after the new Mac Version comes out, which of course Microsoft didn't release simultaneously! doh...