Microsoft Office for iPad launches today, requires Office 365 subscription for editing

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

Tim Cook tweeting about this and Office getting prominent placement on the App Store shows how big a deal this is.

No, not in the slightest. Apple acknowledged IBM entering the PC market and the App Store gets placement based on downloads.

• Reply 82 of 104
    foadfoad Posts: 717member

I'd also add...these apps are ahead of even what Microsoft has on Windows with regards to touch UI. Microsoft put out a release that is better on iOS than Windows RT. That says something.

• Reply 83 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, not in the slightest. Apple acknowledged IBM entering the PC market and the App Store gets placement based on downloads.

As far as I know being placed in the main carousel in the App Store isn't based on downloads. It is curated.

Ultimately, I don't get all the animosity with this release. Sure, Microsoft should have released it earlier but having it out on iOS right now is a huge boon for Apple. It further emphasizes iOS as an enterprise platform.

• Reply 84 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The new Office apps for iOS is only part of the MS announcements today. The New mobile enterprise management suite is a pretty big deal because not even Apple or Google have a suite as full featured as the EMS system from Microsoft which works across most mobile device platforms including Windows Phone, iPhone/iPad as well as Samsung Android devices reportedly. A real advantage for big enterprise IT departments who need to accommodate BYOD. For people or companies who use MS cloud services like One Drive or Office 365 it provides single Active Directory sign on for all of MS services. I know people here often say that MS is becoming irrelevant but it seams that they are shifting gears to support all mobile platforms, not just Windows.

• Reply 85 of 104
    So i can see a lot of people creating their Office documents on the computer and then displaying them on an iPad, Having used iWork on my iPad i found it underwhelming. i can imagine Office will be the same. my biggest question is dose VBA work on the iPad. if so Excel for iPad may be the only app here that i would download. i also cant see how with a good Formula you couldn't have your spreadsheets Dynamic and uploading over your network from other spreadsheets. and assuming Macro's work then i would never need to actually use the iPad to edit.

will try excel on the weekend to test
  • Reply 86 of 104

Sure, Microsoft should have released it earlier

I’d go with ‘not at all’.

• Reply 87 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’d go with ‘not at all’.

Is there a particular reason why? I'm genuinely curious. I don't see this release as a negative at all.

• Reply 88 of 104
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    foad wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason why? I'm genuinely curious. I don't see this release as a negative at all.

He passionately hates everything MS related (or non-Apple related?). It's like Balmer road-killed his cat or something. Really interesting to observe.
  • Reply 89 of 104

I’d much rather Microsoft carve their own path than to keep whoring out their past evils. I’m quite pleased with Windows Phone 7/8, for example. It deserves to be the majority of the market that isn’t Apple, however large that majority may be.

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

He passionately hates everything MS related (or non-Apple related?). It's like Balmer road-killed his cat or something. Really interesting to observe.

How about not saying words you don’t know, ‘kay?

• Reply 90 of 104
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I’d much rather Microsoft carve their own path than to keep whoring out their past evils. I’m quite pleased with Windows Phone 7/8, for example. It deserves to be the majority of the market that isn’t Apple, however large that majority may be.

How about not saying words you don’t know, ‘kay?

Why, that's the best way to learn them ;)
  • Reply 91 of 104
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    Don't look now, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more collaboration between Apple and Microsoft. Unless you're living inside your XBox you'd know that Windows Phone isn't exactly going anywhere. Microsoft badly needs a winner in the mobile space.

This gives Microsoft a legitimate revenue stream outside the desktop and gives them more leverage to exorcise the Desktop Paradigm from Windows 8 and Surface. I have zero doubt that Microsoft knows how to do Touch very well. Dragging along the desktop wart is killing them on Surface just as much as the Metro wart is killing their desktop solution. That's a marriage that should have headed to Reno for a quicky divorce years ago. Once they get these two equally viable software platforms back on their proper host platforms and form factors we will see a reinvigorated Microsoft.

What's this mean for Apple? At the present time not much other than to further legitimize the genius that the iPad concept really is. Apple will continue to innovate in new product areas in ways that few other companies can approach. Apple seems to be one of the few companies that is able to pull off disruptive innovation on its own products and not only survive but prosper enormously while also disrupting their competition. That is something almost no other company has been able to do, mostly because they are deathly afraid of self disruption. Apple has balls.

Having MS Office on iPad is a textbook definition of a symbiotic relationship.

The biggest threats to Apple and Microsoft are not one another, and not even Google, it's the vastly expanding potential for disruption that is represented in emerging economies and societies that have not grown complacent in admiring their past and current accomplishments. I think Apple and Google see the light and Microsoft is finally started to take off its Ballmer Glasses, i.e., blinders.

This is all good.
  • Reply 92 of 104

MS will sell a lot of these subscriptions. They will keep that price for the simple fact that Apple users can afford it.

This isn't the Android people they are dealing with yet. I would imagine they will release an Android version at some point.

MS needs to make money from it first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtDecoDalek View Post

If the most arduous thing in your day is being complimented on your attractiveness, I'd say you're doing just fine.

I am definitely doing great then. I hear the term "best looking guy ever" so often on a daily basis that i have lost any sensitivity to it.

I am not just the baddest ass mother fucker here. I am also the prettiest.

Don't hate me because I am beautiful.

• Reply 93 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

MS will sell a lot of these subscriptions. They will keep that price for the simple fact that Apple users can afford it.

This isn't the Android people they are dealing with yet. 

I think the target market for MS Office for iPad is business users who are more than likely iPhone/iPad/Windows users and whose company will pay the subscription price. People on Apple centric forums like this seem to forget that most iPhone/iPad users are also Windows users, especially if they are business types. Apple fans tend to think that all Windows users are Apple haters. Not only is that not true, there is a strong acceptance to the iPhone/iPad by almost everyone including Windows users and if they are in business, this release of Office for iPad should be very welcome.

Edit: Perhaps I should mention that I am a Mac user in a Windows centric corporation. I rarely use Office, which is not even installed on my Mac and I would certainly not consider buying Office for iPad, just so no one gets the wrong idea.

• Reply 94 of 104
    cloutclout Posts: 4member
    There is an Office 2011 for Mac, but no Office 365. So I am confused what Mac users are supposed to do to use Office on iPad. Pay for Office 365 subscription anyway? Does anyone know?
  • Reply 95 of 104
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Good on them. They will make a fortune on this and it will make Steve Ballmer look foolish for not doing it when he was in charge.
  • Reply 96 of 104
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member

If you're happy with iworks- than move along- nothing to see here. However, home/student users are NOT the entire market.... It's a great app, but not EVERYONE is completely served by the (admittedly elegant) but stripped-down suite.

There is a BIG segment of corporate Ipad users that have been waiting for an ipad-native office.  BTW, many of them already have office365 licenses, so this was a big (free) upgrade.

We have TONS of corporate PowerPoints that just don't work 100% on Ipads.... whether they are converted to Keynote or opened in other 3rd party-apps.... they are not perfect.

It's a no-brainer HUGE win for most corporate users (of which there are MANY). BTW, for most uses, it's free anyways. Again, MOST people do not CREATE massive content on their ipads- they use them for display or reading- and for that use- this is FREE.

• Reply 97 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

If you're happy with iworks- than move along- nothing to see here. However, home/student users are NOT the entire market.... It's a great app, but not EVERYONE is completely served by the (admittedly elegant) but stripped-down suite.

There is a BIG segment of corporate Ipad users that have been waiting for an ipad-native office.  BTW, many of them already have office365 licenses, so this was a big (free) upgrade.

We have TONS of corporate PowerPoints that just don't work 100% on Ipads.... whether they are converted to Keynote or opened in other 3rd party-apps.... they are not perfect.

It's a no-brainer HUGE win for most corporate users (of which there are MANY). BTW, for most uses, it's free anyways. Again, MOST people do not CREATE massive content on their ipads- they use them for display or reading- and for that use- this is FREE.

Absolutely right.

Even with the impressive progress Macs have made into the Enterprise, in large corporations, Excel and Powerpoint are still king.  There is no question we'll start using this at work.  It will be a huge benefit.

• Reply 98 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Clout View Post

There is an Office 2011 for Mac, but no Office 365. So I am confused what Mac users are supposed to do to use Office on iPad. Pay for Office 365 subscription anyway? Does anyone know?

Office 2011 comes as part of Office 365. Files can be stored on OneDrive or Sharepoint servers, therefor they can be accessed on the iPad.

• Reply 99 of 104
    redhotfuzz wrote: »

If I were a woman (which I'm not), I'd much rather see an attractive man present a new product than Crazy Uncle Ballmer.

As a man, I'd much rather see an attractive woman present a new product than Crazy Uncle Ballmer.

Also, as a man, I'd much rather see an attractive man present a new product than Crazy Uncle Ballmer.

I hope we're not going to turn this into a giant debate about sexism because someone called someone else attractive?  :rolleyes:  

As a man, I'd rather see Apple present a new product.
  • Reply 100 of 104
    Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

I don't think it makes them feel good. I think they are in a state of rage, foaming at the mouth.