How Wikipedia's sloppy facts obscured reality in Apple vs. Samsung trial

Comments

• Reply 21 of 170
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You are too logical.  That would deprive DED/Corrections of ammunition in his ongoing rail against Samsung - who are so terrible that Apple themselves seem to be doing ever more business with them as time passes.  Fixing the article would just remove one more picturesque windmill from the landscape for Don Quixote to tilt his lance at.

Ha!  That gave me a laugh, thanks!

• Reply 22 of 170
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

How the hell is this even worthy of an article?

How the hell is it not?

• Reply 23 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You have to wonder why didn't DED just correct these erring articles if it is so important.

You didn't seriously ask this question, did you?

You think a single person is going to be able to keep up with a whole legion of Apple haters/paid Samsung shills? I bet anything he adds or edits would be "corrected" immediately.

In fact, I'm going to test this myself this weekend. I'm going to "correct" the WiKi page, take some screen shots, and see how long it takes before my corrections are "edited".

• Reply 24 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It wouldn't surprise me if Sammy pays people to edit Wiki in their favor. Either that or Fansungs have a lot of free time.

Of course they do. Just like they got caught paying people to blog about their products. Twice. Or when they got caught trying to "convert" developers over at Stack by pretending to be developers interested in coding for Samsung.

• Reply 25 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Shaming wikipedia over the outrageous garbage allowed just in one article is more effective than trying to "correct" (completely rewrite) this and every Wiki article that details fan site controversies and complaints targeting Apple. Perhaps there will be more efforts made to avoid hiding the truth and propagating Samsung’s talking points if these egregious examples of posting false information are brought to light. 

Or you can just complain in the comments that you were forced to read something investigative and factual rather than another blog-blurb expressing a trivial opinion on some tech announcement.

You honestly think shaming them is going to work?

• Reply 26 of 170
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It wouldn't make much sense for DED to make these changes on Wikipedia instead of writing this article.

A) He's a professional writer. Spending tons of time researching and writing for a volunteer project instead of for his employers/clients (like AppleInsider) is not the path to putting food on the table!

B) Any changes made to Wikipedia would simply be deleted anyway. Possibly with Samsung writing a check (they've been busted at other deceptive astroturfing) or more likely by fact-averse Samsung fans doing work for free.

C) DED is biased and is not good at controlling his bias. (Which could be link-bait trolling, but I think it's honest emotion taking over.) He digs up good facts, makes sound arguments, shines a light on misinformation from many sources, and presents things the mainstream media shamefully ignores. And mixes in 10 parts of that with 1 part exaggeration, snark, and cherry-picking of data. You CAN find great info in his work, and we're lucky to have him, but he is NOT 100% on the side of unbiased reason and evidence. Which is a shame, because it really damages the very points he wants to make. Given that, he's not the best editor for a Wikipedia article. It would be too easy for another editor to find his 10% bias (while ignoring all the Samsung bias) and use it as a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Hopefully someone will redo the Wikipedia article in a more balanced way—but it will have to be done very professionally with absurd extra care to avoid bias. Frustrating, considering the bias they have allowed there so far!
  • Reply 27 of 170
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

The sad truth is that the internet, as a whole, is nothing more than the whole world "gossiping over the back yard fence"..... and just like the old days with two neighbors doing the gossiping, the vast amount of the "info" being traded is a lie, untrue, exaggerated or just plain wrong. As much as we all would like to be able to believe the stuff we see on the net... we just cannot. Anytime something is available to be curated by the masses ....  it's only a matter of time before it becomes useless. (see Here comes Honey Boo Boo... if you doubt me). :embarrass

• Reply 28 of 170
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

You didn't seriously ask this question, did you?

You think a single person is going to be able to keep up with a whole legion of Apple haters/paid Samsung shills? I bet anything he adds or edits would be "corrected" immediately.

In fact, I'm going to test this myself this weekend. I'm going to "correct" the WiKi page, take some screen shots, and see how long it takes before my corrections are "edited".

If they're edited, it would be good to know why - in other words, whether there's a legitimate reason they reverted your changes. I've had a couple of minor changes reverted due to things like poor sourcing or an automated system mistaking me for a bot.

• Reply 29 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

You honestly think shaming them is going to work?

If you bring enough attention to anything you'll get results. With Wikipedia, the more people looking at a page and discussing it's inaccuracies the more likely it is to get corrected and, more importantly, stay corrected as it makes no sense for Daniel to rewrite the page just to have to be reverted again. Plus, there are people that feel Daniel is bias so a committee of volunteers is more likely to result in an impartial page using neutral terms.
  • Reply 30 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you bring enough attention to anything you'll get results. With Wikipedia, the more people looking at a page and discussing it's inaccuracies the more likely it is to get corrected and, more importantly, stay corrected as it makes no sense for Daniel to rewrite the page just to have to be reverted again. Plus, there are people that feel Daniel is bias so a committee of volunteers is more likely to result in an impartial page using neutral terms.

You're probably right. It just seems as Eric said that the Samsung shills will be out in force and correct anything they (Wikipedia) might try to factually edit. Still though it's better to correct such errors rather than let such lies fester.

• Reply 31 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    evilution wrote: »
    Seems obvious to me. People who can't afford an Apple product hate the company because they can't afford it. They go over to Samsung and buy their cheaper products and try to justify their purchase by pretending it was the best option and it's what they would have bought even if they had the money for an iPhone or iPad. The reason these people don't have the money is because they have crap/part time/no jobs.
    As they have extra time on their hands due to the lack of work, they have time to edit Wikipedia and add their take on events.
    Or as we know it, lies.

You won't be able to stop these low IQ'd drains on society, they simply have more time than we do.

Last I checked some of Samsung's devices cost just as much as Apple's, and in some cases more.
  • Reply 32 of 170
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Hi DED,  please go to wikipedia and edit/create pages.  Each page has a history that any one can see.  No one can alter the history.  If your words are modified later they still can be read by going to the history.

• Reply 33 of 170
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    You have to wonder why didn't DED just correct these erring articles if it is so important.

DED Has a job, thus, he does not engage in the Sisyphus-ien task of editting a wikipedia page that will only be changed by samsung trolls .. instead he prefers to put his thoughts about the Wikipedia article into a real article that can be quoted. furthermore, if someone was smart they would add a link to DED's article in the Wikipedia sumsing propaganda article...

sisyphus : http://www.mythweb.com/encyc/entries/sisyphus.html

...changing the story back to thier distorted, disingenuous, view of samsung's history
    sadly, and pathetically , Samsung is pissing there past history, where samsung has done some good.... (excavators, ships, heavy equipment, TVs, dishwashers?)
    but the almighty buck calls, and they blow it all away copying...
    I mean Koreans have a culture right ?.. why couldn't Samsung put some Korean culture into the cell phone design?.
    or could it be that Samsung pisses on Korean culture and Apple actually embraces American culture?...
  • Reply 34 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

You're probably right. It just seems as Eric said that the Samsung shills will be out in force and correct anything they (Wikipedia) might try to factually edit. Still though it's better to correct such errors rather than let such lies fester.

That's probably correct, too, but as we've seen with Wikipedia pages that have too many edits, excessive opined comments or trolling those pages get various levels of protection.

For instance, Barack Obama's wikipage is Semi-protected and the disambiguation page for "douchebag" is Move-protected.
  • Reply 35 of 170
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Who has time to read Wikipedia except the Samsung and the hired gun

DED seemingly..

• Reply 36 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lilgto64 wrote: »
    I missed this when it happened
    might be the funniest thing in the whole escapade.

Funny indeed, but did little to sway the case.
  • Reply 37 of 170
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

My Kids school will not allow them to use wikipedia since it lack any facts and two the kid when they find out what others in their classes are researching would go on to wikipedia and edit the information to include random stupid things which most kids would just copy and use in class.

Second and I wish I could remember who the musician was, I hear and interview he gave and he talked about how he went on his wiki page that fans set up and began correction information which was factually wrong only to find that when he came back his fans edit back to the wrong information and he could only conclude they were not interested in the what really happen but what they wanted to believe that happen.

Looks like the wiki site is back now and not reference to the person who blanked it.

• Reply 38 of 170
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

OK, so who attacked the site? That's not cool.

But I half don't understand the editorial, Wikipedia is rarely, if ever, unbiased - especially when it comes to controversial topics.

• Reply 40 of 170
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

I just tried to edit that page. Samsung reverted it within two minutes.