Judge grants class status in e-books price fixing case against Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
A U.S. district court judge on Friday ruled plaintiffs seeking class status in a suit against Apple over e-book price fixing had "more than met their burden" to sue as a group.

iBooks

Judge Denise Cote of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York handed down the latest decision in her oversight of the Apple e-books case, granting class status to consumers looking to sue Apple for damages relating to the company's illegal e-book pricing, reports Reuters.

In her ruling, Judge Cote denied Apple's argument that claimed plaintiffs' claims were too diverse for the group to be considered for class status. Apple additionally contended consumers were not harmed because e-book pricing fell during and after the iBookstore launched, a claim the company pushed in its antitrust case against the U.S. Department of Justice.

The outcome may not be surprising considering Judge Cote presided over the DOJ's case as well. The jurist's ruling in that action found Apple liable of conspiring with five major book publishers to falsely inflate e-book prices. That decision brought an injunction against Apple, demanding it not enter similar offending agreements with publishers, as well as the installment of antitrust monitor Michael Bromwich.

Apple and Bromwich have butted heads from the beginning. The Cupertino, Calif., company accused the ECM of conducting a wide-roving and unconstitutional investigation that goes far beyond his court-constructed jurisdiction. Bromwich, on the other hand, said Apple is difficult to work with as it does not supply requested evidence, interviews and other deemed necessary assets in a timely manner, or at all.

Apple has attempted to dislodge Bromwich from his post, though efforts have been fruitless thus far.

Judge Cote is slated to oversee both the consumer class action suit ruled on today and another involving 33 states and U.S. territories that sued Apple on behalf of consumers. A damages number has yet to be assigned to the consumer class action, though some expect it to run into the hundreds of millions of dollars. As for the states, they are seeking more than $800 million in damages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Let's see how many times apple can get sued over this....
  • Reply 2 of 18
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Shouldn't there be a different judge presiding over the case? Cote already made up her mind. Now it's just a farce.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Where are the APPLE IS DOOMED guys?

• Reply 4 of 18
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Shouldn't there be a different judge presiding over the case? Cote already made up her mind. Now it's just a farce.

Agreed. It is insane that someone that already has made a judgement that is up for appeal is allowed to preside over this case. It seems prejudicial. I'm not a lawyer so I can't speak to the legal nature of it but it just boggles my mind.

• Reply 5 of 18
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This whole thing is a joke. Even news organisations hostile to Apple think this is nuts.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    berndogberndog Posts: 90member
    I'm not so sure - I've always preferred to pay my premium to Apple instead of to some fly by night WinTel tech in order to have a trouble free computing experience.
    On the ebook issue I was looking forward to saving trees and therefore lower costs to read books in as much as there were no longer "production and shipping and handling costs". Boy was I wrong! At some point excessive markups become unethical?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

I just received my Amazon refund on ebooks for antitrust settlements and am looking forward to more $$ from Apple now regarding their "illegal e-book pricing".

• Reply 8 of 18
    jungmark wrote: »
    How come nobody could sue a judge?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    It is so bizarre that this is even happening. Apple got in trouble for trying to sell books at prices the book sellers really wanted to sell them at, not these at-a-loss prices that were devaluing ebooks in general and creating unnaturally low prices that consumers were getting used to would not want to depart from.
    Is it so wrong for an author to want consumers to see value and want to pay for their works, instead of them seeing book content as a dime store price entitlement. Once a certain ebook seller has the monopoly, do you really think they will remain at these deflated prices? The will go up and up and we will see the very problem the DOJ thought they were preventing come true.

I agree that this class being presided over by a judge that has this and all related cases with a predetermined guilty verdict toward Apple is a farce. We all know she made up her mind even before the trial started. She pretty much admitted to it without saying exactly that in the news.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Odd, I just got my account credited the other day.  It doesn't seem right that Apple can be sued again and have to pay out more money.

• Reply 11 of 18
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Odd, I just got my account credited the other day.  It doesn't seem right that Apple can be sued again and have to pay out more money.

That money was from the publishers, who settled with the government and agreed to pay.

What I don't understand is how Apple can be sued by the states, and also by consumers, each asking for hundreds of millions of dollars (with triple damages). Something that wasn't mentioned in this story is that Cote accepted the consumers' experts on damages, but rejected Apple's experts. So again from the start Cote is fixing the trial.

• Reply 12 of 18
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    Cote is a puppet, not a judge. She doesn't go by evidence, she goes by who she thinks is guilty and that's that. Apple could have Amazon say they did nothing wrong as an example and she would rule that Apple is guilty without even a flinch.
    Can't wait to see Apple's appeal get started because that will be with a different judge and that will definitely change the outcome of all of this non-sense from Ms.puppet Coyte.
    Apple did no damage because Apple didn't do anything wrong and there's proof out there already.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Amazing this can happen in US of A....

Cote... Epitome of corruption!

To me the only way this makes sense is for Bazos to be pulling the strings !
    Who else?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    jungmark wrote: »
    If it's a jury trial then there's little issue
  • Reply 15 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    One thing the Apple is doomed crowd never talks about is all this stuff that Steve left behind that probably would not have happened if Tim Cook was in charge. This is one, the poaching stuff is another. I agree with John Gruber on this:

http://daringfireball.net/2014/03/if_tim_cook_had_been_in_charge
  • Reply 16 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Cote is a puppet, not a judge. She doesn't go by evidence, she goes by who she thinks is guilty and that's that.

Ummm like %95 of all judges? That's why we have so many innocent people in jail. Some judges even make up the charges before the trial even starts!!

• Reply 17 of 18
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    Jeezzzzuuussss....why is it always this judge Cole???
  • Reply 18 of 18
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So the publishers have already paid refunds, what further damages precisely, it seems like double dipping.

Apple should be seeking an injunction, pending their appeal.