How Wikipedia's sloppy facts obscured reality in Apple vs. Samsung trial

Comments

• Reply 61 of 170

Everyone (at least, everyone with any brain), knows not to trust Wikipedia as a single source for knowledge.

Why single out WikiPedia? Just change the sentence a little and you're done ...

Everyone (at least, everyone with any brain), knows not to trust "Authority X" as a single source for knowledge.

The TV, magazines, the government, politicians, corporations, newspapers and more all have an angle. In this information overloaded age, we are lucky to be able to easily cross-reference against other reports and interpretations. Essential if you want to have any hope to find out what's really going on around us.

As an ex of mine said .. The only place you can find "objectivity" is in the dictionary. :-)
  • Reply 62 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Can you outline a few DED "reality obscuring" problems? There are literally hundreds of DED articles up on a wide range of subjects, so it should be easy for you to find and describe lots of serious problems if DED can outline half a dozen major problems in a single Wikipedia article. Or are you simply creating a false equivalency and not backing up your accusations with any facts in a lazy effort to discredit actual journalism?

That’s not something to be proud of. 

From http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/03/googles-mystery-barge-ordered-to-stop-construction-work-leave-san-francisco-bay

"Google's plans to bypass environmental review backfires

The floating project appeared aimed to skirting environmental review and public planning procedures, regulations that can add significant cost or delay."

There is no evidence to back up your claim that Google aimed to skirt environmental review.  It is pure speculation.

From http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/22/apples-iphone-5c-failure-flop-outsold-blackberry-windows-phone-and-every-android-flagship-in-q4

"The primary data point supporting the "5c Failure" propaganda campaign is that the cheaper model hasn't been able to outsell Apple's top of the line 5s, as if Apple would prefer to sell the 5c and collect at least $100 less per sale."

No, the primary data point was Tim Cook's admission that iPhone 5c demand was lower than thought, as discussed in this article http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/27/tim-cook-admits-iphone-5c-share-lower-than-expected-says-demand-was-different-than-we-thought

From the same article, "Imagine General Motors being upset to find that the majority of its customers preferred to pay a 20 percent premium for an option package that included fancier trim, greater horsepower and a lucrative technology/convenience package."

Your analogy twists the purpose of the 5c, which was to expand Apple's appeal to new customers in the mid-range market.  It wasn't intended to drive customers to the 5s, although that trend certainly does benefit Apple.

I'll do some more research later, and I'll be sure to point out your distortions in future articles.

• Reply 63 of 170
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

No, the primary data point was Tim Cook's admission that iPhone 5c demand was lower than thought, as discussed in this article http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/27/tim-cook-admits-iphone-5c-share-lower-than-expected-says-demand-was-different-than-we-thought

Your analogy twists the purpose of the 5c, which was to expand Apple's appeal to new customers in the mid-range market.  It wasn't intended to drive customers to the 5s, although that trend certainly does benefit Apple.

I'll do some more research later, and I'll be sure to point out your distortions in future articles.

Wiki is advertised as an online encyclopedia.

Cook said the mix was off but the 5C did outsell the 4S in the same period last year.

So you know that's what the 5C was suppose to do or are you speculating.
  • Reply 64 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    He is defending himself.

The whole 3rd person thingy threw him off.
  • Reply 65 of 170
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The whole 3rd person thingy threw him off.

Maybe I needs a /s ?
  • Reply 66 of 170
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    You want to know another good one?

Try to find an original PDF user manual for the Neonode n1m (the phone Apple haters claim is prior art for slide to unlock). They have all been removed, even from Neonodes own support site. The ones you can still find are "edited" versions. What's been edited? The phrasing about unlocking your phone now says "Slide to Unlock". The original said something like "swipe right to accept".

Pathetic that people try to rewrite history of the Neonode by using the same phrasing Apple does in place what Neonode originally wrote. I still have an original kicking around - if anyone's interested I'll post it up.

Yes, please post it!
  • Reply 67 of 170
    asdasd wrote: »
    Maybe I needs a /s ?

Or just do a better job sounding sarcastic. :lol:
  • Reply 68 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Maybe I needs a /s ?

I should have known better. lol

• Reply 69 of 170
    Last I checked some of Samsung's devices cost just as much as Apple's, and in some cases more.

Some of Samsung's devices are flagship models that are on-par with Apple's prices. But not all Samsung phones are like that.

The Samsung Duo Y sold in India, for instance, is roughly $108

Apple does not have any models in that price range. Apple's phones start at $450... but the majority of iPhones sold are actually the $650+ models.

Android phones, in general, have an average selling price of around $300

But the iPhone's average selling price is above $600

It's really not difficult to see why people say Apple's phones are "expensive"
  • Reply 70 of 170
    Some of Samsung's devices are flagship models that are on-par with Apple's prices. But not all Samsung phones are like that.

The Samsung Duo Y sold in India, for instance, is roughly $108

Apple does not have any models in that price range. Apple's phones start at $450... but the majority of iPhones sold are actually the $650+ models.

Android phones, in general, have an average selling price of around $300

But the iPhone's average selling price is above $600

It's really not difficult to see why people say Apple's phones are "expensive"

I agree, but the OP makes it seem like all of Samsung's offerings are of the cheap variety.
  • Reply 71 of 170
    zoolook wrote: »
    This kind of dumbassery (your comment) is the reason some people hate Apple. 

Look at this entire thread. Look at the amount of time and effort this website devotes to bashing Samsung.

It's really embarrassing that these people exist.

DED is pretty much the Fox News of tech reporting, and everything he writes is a hit-piece.

I start visiting this site, browse through a bit to see when the updates are coming, and then one of these steaming piles always turns me away again.

Without this garbage this site would be so, so much better.
  • Reply 72 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Last I checked some of Samsung's devices cost just as much as Apple's, and in some cases more.

only a dumb mother fucker would buy a samsung or android device that cost as much as an iDevice.

WAIT - Onl;y a dumb mother fucker would buy an android device or a samsung device at all

• Reply 73 of 170
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

From http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/03/googles-mystery-barge-ordered-to-stop-construction-work-leave-san-francisco-bay

"Google's plans to bypass environmental review backfires

The floating project appeared aimed to skirting environmental review and public planning procedures, regulations that can add significant cost or delay."

There is no evidence to back up your claim that Google aimed to skirt environmental review.  It is pure speculation.

From http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/22/apples-iphone-5c-failure-flop-outsold-blackberry-windows-phone-and-every-android-flagship-in-q4

"The primary data point supporting the "5c Failure" propaganda campaign is that the cheaper model hasn't been able to outsell Apple's top of the line 5s, as if Apple would prefer to sell the 5c and collect at least $100 less per sale."

From the same article, "Imagine General Motors being upset to find that the majority of its customers preferred to pay a 20 percent premium for an option package that included fancier trim, greater horsepower and a lucrative technology/convenience package."

So when Google lied about its secret plans, hid them from regulators and was then forced by the government to move its illegal construction project out of the Bay Area, you think its "speculation" to report what happened and that’s your best example of misleading the public.

But when people speculate about how many 5c units Apple planed to sell and why, you just know in your heart that Apple failed. 

Save your research, I’ve written you off as a Thom Holwerda. You can believe what you like. 

• Reply 74 of 170
    But when [Tim Cook] speculates about how many 5c units Apple planed to sell and why, you just know in your heart that Apple failed. 

Yeah. I've never trusted that guy either.
  • Reply 75 of 170
    So when Google lied about its secret plans, hid them from regulators and was then forced by the government to move its illegal construction project out of the Bay Area, you think its "speculation" to report what happened and that’s your best example of misleading the public.

But when people speculate about how many 5c units Apple planed to sell and why, you just know in your heart that Apple failed. 

Save your research, I’ve written you off as a Thom Holwerda. You can believe what you like. 

That's not evidence supporting your claim that Google tried to skirt environmental review.

Apple didn't fail with the 5c and Tim Cook isn't just any person. If it was CNET saying Apple missed the mark, then I would take it with a grain of salt.

I'll do the research anyway when I've got some time, and I'm going to start with finding out who this Thom Holwerda person is.
  • Reply 76 of 170
    only a dumb mother fucker would buy a samsung or android device that cost as much as an iDevice.
    WAIT - Onl;y a dumb mother fucker would buy an android device or a samsung device at all

So, what's it to you? Why do you even care?
  • Reply 77 of 170
    Another week, another round of diarrhea from this hack.
  • Reply 78 of 170
    dequardo wrote: »
    Another week, another round of diarrhea from this hack.

No one forced you to read it.
  • Reply 79 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

This kind of dumbassery (your comment) is the reason some people hate Apple. 

worng- they hate apple because they are poor piss ants. That ain't no shit. Droid dorks who come here and bad mouth apple or try to defend samescum and android are the biggest losers there have ever been. I am looking right at those droid dorks and they damn well know it, too. if they don't get it I will just keep beating it into their thick fucking skulls with a brick.

I expect to be hated by people who are lesser than me. I shove it in their low life faces and there is nothing they can dip but cry to their mommies. And do they ever! They can't defend themselves against a dominant force like me. I am that bad ass mother fucker that is chasing you in your nightmares bitches. In the end I will piss on their graves.

ALL that choose to use android fall into that category. 

Have a splendid evening..:)

• Reply 80 of 170
    So, what's it to you? Why do you even care?

He's just trying to prove how subtle, fair-minded, and gracious Apple users are.

I've always brushed off people giving me a hard time for being an "Apple fanboi," but this sort of stuff makes you think, "Oh. Right. Those people. They're the ones that are ruining it for the rest of us."