Questionable 'iPhone 6' prototype shows protruding camera, lacks Apple's 'True Tone' flash

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
New snapshots that purport to show a prototype of Apple's so-called "iPhone 6" have emerged from China, though the device pictured bears some bizarre inconsistencies that call its authenticity into question.

The photos depict a handset slightly taller, wider, and thinner than the iPhone 5s and are said to have come directly from insiders at Taiwanese contract manufacturer Foxconn, Apple's longtime iPhone assembly partner. They were originally published on Chinese microblogging site Weibo and first noticed by GforGames.

The two most prominent changes from current models are an iPod touch-style protruding camera lens and the lack of the dual-LED True Tone flash setup found in the iPhone 5s. While the external camera lens may be a trade-off for overall device size, it seems unlikely that Apple would abandon the True Tone system as imaging becomes a more important differentiator in mobile devices.

It is difficult to ascertain the exact size due to the photos' low resolution, though the spacing between the headphone jack and the Lightning port suggests it may play host to a screen somewhat less than five inches diagonally. Schematics included in the images also show iPhone 5c-style speaker holes.

There are some areas where the pictured device does line up with rumors about Apple's next-generation iPhone. That handset is believed to sport a larger display, for instance, and an industrial design reminiscent of the iPad mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78

It's either completely fake or a new revised iPod Touch.

• Reply 2 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Steve would never have had the camera protrude.

No, seriously, he wouldn’t have. He would have waited until they could engineer an optical zoom that would remain flush with the case before putting it in a shipping product. Not sure of Apple’s game here.

And how can it be said that it’s taller, wider, or thinner from these images? There’s absolutely no frame of reference.

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

It's either completely fake or a new revised iPod Touch.

The iPod touch has a single panel back. It wouldn’t need separation.

• Reply 3 of 78

The iPhone doesn't need to be any thinner.  If depth room can be saved internally, please make the battery larger.  I'd rather have 2 days of charge.

• Reply 4 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And how can it be said that it’s taller, wider, or thinner from these images? There’s absolutely no frame of reference.

I guess because the headphone jack and lightning port are known points of reference: "It is difficult to ascertain the exact size due to the photos' low resolution, though the spacing between the headphone jack and the Lightning port suggests it may play host to a screen somewhat less than five inches diagonally."

• Reply 5 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Looks to me like an iPod touch. Perhaps all these rumors of a 5"+ phone are for a new iPod touch?
  • Reply 6 of 78
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member

Why is the design factory looking at iPhone schematics in Microsoft Word on Windows XP?

• Reply 7 of 78
    Designing next-gen of iPhone using Windows XP? Makes it hard to believe.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    I'm not sure if Jony Ive uses Windows XP to design his best products.. If so, I'm surpr%u2026 No, no way, it's impossible:) It's like Tim Cook with LG G2 on Apple keynotes! 120% fake.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    This is complete BS.

The design is way too similar to the 5s. Johnny Ive and the team are not gonna release something with the same design 3 years in a row.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Where's the Samsung logo?
  • Reply 12 of 78
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I want to see the sapphire glass.
    This is the real thing, I feel it. Looks very thin.
    The white parts are probably for a test model only.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Steve would never have had the camera protrude.

No, seriously, he wouldn’t have. He would have waited until they could engineer an optical zoom that would remain flush with the case before putting it in a shipping product. Not sure of Apple’s game here.

The iPod touch has a single panel back. It wouldn’t need separation.

Of course there is a reference. The Lightning port and headphone jack. It seems 1-1.5 mm thinner than the iPhone 5.

• Reply 14 of 78
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    This is complete BS.

I agree. Apple would never use MS Word, on the now unsupported XP for crying out loud, for prototype drawings¡
  • Reply 15 of 78

How about this is the new iPhone 6c design?  Based on the single speaker and the lack of True Tone Flash, it is very similar.  Maybe Apple decided to do away with the plastic case and use an all metal design.

• Reply 16 of 78
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I want to see the sapphire glass.

This is the real thing, I feel it. Looks very thin.

The white parts are probably for a test model only.

Previous leaked photos of prototypes show that Apple does not use different colors for test units. They use the same materials as what the final product is meant to have. It's actually important in determining color, wear, design, etc.

I don't understand the interest in seeing the sapphire glass. It would look the same, as it is glass. Its function is to permit light to pass through. The difference would be in durability and other performance measurements that would not be visible.

Anyhow, this is a fake. Fortune 100 manufacturers don't use MS Word to create engineering schematics. They use high-end CAD programs like ProEngineer, AutoCAD, etc.

• Reply 17 of 78
    philboogie wrote: »
    I agree. Apple would never use MS Word, on the now unsupported XP for crying out loud, for prototype drawings¡

Foxconn needed to open a Word file, and a PC clone running a pirated copy of Windows XP is in fact, the standard workplace configuration in Taiwan. ;)
  • Reply 18 of 78

When I meant that I wanted to 'see' sapphire glass, I just meant I wanted the iPhone to have it... I had thought people would tell me what you said.

The lack of true-tone flash is dubious, but I don't see any obvious indication that it's a fake. It's still very early for mass production, maybe they are doing some tests for build only, before looking at materials.

Well, if it's fake I'd be happy about it, that protruding camera looks terrible.

• Reply 19 of 78
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    Designing next-gen of iPhone using Windows XP? Makes it hard to believe.

Foxconn didn't design the iPhone.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Uh, how can they tell there is no True Tone flash from those photos? And the protruding lens? We're looking at low res photos of computer displays...one with a photo and the other with a diagram. The protruding lens might just be for diagram visibility purposes. The other is unclear.