Like a glove: April Fools efforts from Samsung, HTC & Toshiba all share the same punchline

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
With accusations of copying and commoditization already rife within the smartphone and tablet industries, three of the market's biggest names -- Samsung, HTC and Toshiba --?all showcased similar glove-themed prank products on Tuesday for April Fools' Day. Hilarity ensued.

In efforts to make light of the tech industry's obsession with wearable electronics, bogus announcements for Samsung Fingers, HTC Gluuv, and Toshiba DiGiT were all revealed by the Asian device makers. All three fictional products are shown to include support for recognizing finger gestures and integrated cameras for snapping pictures from the hand.

The fake handwear are also shown featuring speakers, microphones, advanced sensors, high-resolution screens, wireless connectivity, and other checkbox items frequently found in promotional materials for smartphones.

The requisite eye-roll-inducing jokes were also made: Samsung dropped a "talk to the hand" reference straight out of 1996, HTC suggested "armies" will become the new "selfies," and Toshiba put out a well-produced video featuring actors making buffoons out of themselves by placing their hands and fingers in front of their faces. Cue up the laugh track.

Even when it comes to lame jokes, these companies struggle to differentiate themselves from one another.

The fact that all three companies introduced such similar spoofs for April Fools' Day 2014 is somewhat ironic, given not only the fact that virtually all modern smartphones and tablets have similar designs and functions, but also that many companies are or have been engaged in lawsuits accusing one another of copying designs and concepts.

Despite a history of crying theft, it's unlikely any jokes were "stolen" here, as all three side splitting witticisms were posted on the same day. Instead, this is just another example of how many technology companies aren't particularly clever or original.

Samsung, HTC and Toshiba also all rely on Google's Android platform to power their most popular smartphone and tablet models, making direct comparisons between the companies' products inevitable. Given this commoditization, device makers frequently apply custom changes to Android to help differentiate their products from other competing products.

None of the gloved gags revealed Tuesday made any mention of what operating systems they might run. Could those slights be foreshadowing certain doom for Google's forthcoming Android Wear platform? Did you know it's easy to make a ridiculous statement if you phrase it as a question?

Happy April Fools' Day.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What they don't tell you is Sammy has 1,2,3,4 and 5 fingered gloves in the product line:)
  • Reply 3 of 33
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41124/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Will that glove crash when I raise my middle finger to Samsung?

Quite pathetic and childish, this April Fools Day. Oh well, perhaps for the younger generation.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Lame. That's ok, Apple will have the last laugh soon.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Durn it - I tried to link to a picture of the armband thingy that Leela wears in Futurama.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    That video was pretty funny.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    I heard Samsung were releasing a phone with a 6.3 inch screen. I thought this must be an April fool joke - but no the Galaxy Mega is a real phone. /s
  • Reply 8 of 33
    I suspect that they coordinated their April Fool's Day prank. "Hey, lets all do wearable-tech gloves! That'll be so funny."
  • Reply 9 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

Makes you wonder why they don't put in that effort for their real products.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I agree- pretty amusing.

It really is pathetic that they all had the exact same concept for an april fool's prank.  All gloves.  Sit back and really ponder how the lack of originality really is oh so pathetic.

• Reply 11 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

The sad thing is that the basement nerds are hoping for this to become reality. They WANT this tech badly.

• Reply 12 of 33
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Tired: USB gloves.

Wired: USB socks.

Retired: Tired-Wired snark.

• Reply 13 of 33
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Don't tell anybody, but to these 3 wannabes, these ads are actually sad jokes.

• Reply 14 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    [IMG]http://www.n00balert.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/NES_powerglove.jpg[/IMG]

Rememer this glove from Nintendo back in the early 90's??

Their April Fool's design wasn't even original.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    cali wrote: »
    NES_powerglove.jpg

Rememer this glove from Nintendo back in the early 90's??

Their April Fool's design wasn't even original.

I'm pretty sure that's standard equipment for the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member

Jesus, you guys need to take a chill pill.

• Reply 17 of 33
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Yes, and very silly. I also think it was a playful jab at Apple with their 'Which will be your verse' campaign. Maybe i am seeing too much here, but I really cannot stand the Robin Williams vo in those Apple ads so anything that meanders into wistful deep philosophical poetry brings it right up.

• Reply 18 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lilgto64 wrote: »
    Durn it - I tried to link to a picture of the armband thingy that Leela wears in Futurama.

This one?

• Reply 19 of 33
    lkrupp wrote: »
    The sad thing is that the basement nerds are hoping for this to become reality. They WANT this tech badly.

Works better than body odor at keeping the females at bay.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I bet Samsung didn't know whether this would be a joke or a REAL "see if it sticks to the wall" product until AFTER the world's reaction. They weren't sure, and so they chose this date. And waited. Now they can let it stand as a joke and bury the prototypes.