Reuters: Production of 'iPhone 6' screens to begin in May, 5.5" model delayed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member

I think it's interesting that we're hearing the 5.5" rumour from multiple different sources. It doesn't make it true, but it certainly bolsters its credibility.

• Reply 22 of 49
    droidftw wrote: »
    I have a phone with a 4.7" screen and have no problems operating it with one hand when I need to.  4.7" is the perfect size for my hands (YMMV).
    I have big hands too I just like the look and feel of the iPhone 5. I'll have to try out the 4.7" if it comes to pass. But I feel I'll need to use two hands more.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    melgross wrote: »
    The oldest phone will retain that size. But Apple has never been fixed on a particular screen size. Yes, the 4" model is easily used with one hand. But times change, and so do screen sizes.

Times change, but people's hands and pockets aren't getting larger.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    ealvarezealvarez Posts: 88member

I do not believe in a 5.5" model. "Delayed" = "killed" 

• Reply 25 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Since our hands (and feet, ears, nose) grow throughout our entire lives, all we have to do is wait until EVERYONE gets older and then a 5.5” phone will be viable!

• Reply 26 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

But culture changes. You can look at an economy car in the US from the 80s, 90's, 00's and today and see that they have become much bigger over the years.

The iPhone had a huge display when it was initially released and that 3.5" display was one of the ways their competitors made fun of it. It was only when they saw an opportunity to beat Apple to LTE chip that they had to use much larger displays. It seems like an accident for the handset vane dots, but people have taken to them because these devices are more a part of our lives than ever before, replacing many activities we only did with a "PC".

Just as the 4" iPhone 5 is lighter in weight and smaller in volume than the 3.5" iPhone 4S it's possible Apple will be able to reduce much of the size and weight increases with advanced electronics. I doubt they will be able to make it smaller and lighter than the 5S but they may be able to get to a manageable pocket size.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    rogifan wrote: »
    Did anyone really think Apple was building a 5.5" phablet? No. What's allegedly delayed never existed, other than as one of many prototypes in the design lab.

If it does exist, it will exist for the vocal minority. It'll be a test: will they put their money where their mouths are? Or were they just looking for something, anything, to criticize Apple for?
  • Reply 28 of 49
    solipsismx wrote: »
    But culture changes. You can look at an economy car in the US from the 80s, 90's, 00's and today and see that they have become much bigger over the years.

You could say anything with a screen got bigger, but that race can't go on forever in phones. Just as economy cars can't keep growing in size without exiting that market segment and being replaced by a new, smaller economy model, which is often the same size as the old model that outgrew the segment.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You could say anything with a screen got bigger, but that race can't go on forever in phones. Just as economy cars can't keep growing in size without exiting that market segment and being replaced by a new, smaller economy model, which is often the same size as the old model that outgrew the segment.

I don't think anyone is claiming phone display sizes will constantly grow in size. At some point the trend might be smaller, especially if we get optical implants.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Apple is not like other manufacturers that change screen sizes almost yearly. Whatever size they choose will be here for at least 2 generations. The 4" was a gamble to see if they could compromise and allow one handed use but also make it slightly larger to appeal to the growing number of people that wanted a larger display. It sold well but it failed to satisfy the larger display crowd. Had they gone with 4.3" I think it would have lasted longer than just 2 years. One handed use is simply not as important as it used to be. People use their smartphones far differently they did years ago. Even the iPhone 5s gets a lot more two handed use thanks to this usage change over previous generations of iPhones. If you are doing anything that require more than a few seconds of usage like reading, playing games, watching videos, etc...there is a natural inclination to rest it in the palm of one hand and use the other hand to touch the screen. Not only is this far more comfortable, it is easier on the eyes and makes everything appear far larger. Take a look at the top paid and free apps. Most are landscape preferred type apps and if they offer both, work far better in landscape. Apple knows this and will adapt accordingly. I used to think they would likely keep a 4" around but now think the 4" model will be reserved solely for the cheaper models as a 6c and the premium line will all be larger displays. People can either get with the times and buy a 4.7" or larger or buy a 6c and get older technology or go with someone else that sells one. Are there any besides Apple selling a premium 4"? I was hoping for around 5" personally but 4.7" is big enough to keep me with Apple. Anything smaller than 4.7" and I would be very reluctant to stick with an iPhone again. 

• Reply 31 of 49
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

I love the idea of staggering the release dates, even it's not intentional. As long as they can get the bigger phone on the shelf by November, Apple will end up selling 70mil iPhones this Holiday qtr.

I can't wait to finally watch movies, read, prepare documents etc on my iPhone. It's been a long time coming...if this rumor is true. I might just end up getting both sizes.

What? Both sizes? Total waste.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    I'll take 4.7. More than big enough for my phone. I have my iPad mini for anything else I want to do with a larger screen.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'll take 4.7. More than big enough for my phone. I have my iPad mini for anything else I want to do with a larger screen.

At home even if I had a 5.5" iPhone I would still use my much larger iPad so on that I agree with you. But not that many people have a iPad with a data plan for a number of reasons, mostly due to cost. So most iPads are limited to wifi only which is very hit or miss when you are in public. I will continue to use my iPad as my primary iOS device at home for pretty much everything besides voice calls and texts, but when I am outside the home I would love to have around  5" iPhone. I can pretty much guarantee all the naysayers who claim to want a 3.5" or 4" will have a change of heart once they actually use a larger iPhone. They won't admit it here but the sales figures will speak for themselves. A larger iPhone will not only break it will crush previous iPhone sales numbers by a huge margin. 

• Reply 34 of 49
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

...in addition to delay of the 5.5" iPhone, supply chain checks show that iPhone 19p will also be delayed due to waning supply of sarium krellide crystals needed to store energy for its phaser.   

• Reply 35 of 49
    This so happens to be the topic of discussion http://www.tikr.me/iphone-6-tbd/8821
  • Reply 36 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I'd be much happier with a 4.7" iPhone than a 5.5" iPhone.

I seriously, legitimately, hope the iPhone 6 is one model, 4.7" or close to it, and the 5.5" rumor was never anything more than that.

5.5" is just WAAYY to big for a phone that goes in my pocket and is frequently used with one hand.

• Reply 37 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    eric38 wrote: »
    I seriously, legitimately, hope the iPhone 6 is one model, 4.7" or close to it, and the 5.5" rumor was never anything more than that.

If they'd do that they'd most likely lose tens of millions of customers.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,834member
    eric38 wrote: »
    Apple wouldn't be foolish enough to get rid of the 4" iPhone, especially after years and years of praising that screen size.
    I agree, this 5.5 inch replacement seems extreme.

philboogie wrote: »
    1) What? No 4" iPhone anymore? Ah, April Fools Day. This is getting a little childish.

2) And that 5.5" screen could be for an iWatch from Samsung.
    We will likely see Samsung go for even more sizes, the reality is they could release a "watch" that is 8 inch, takes 2 straps to hook to arm, but it's still childish.

melgross wrote: »
    The oldest phone will retain that size. But Apple has never been fixed on a particular screen size. Yes, the 4" model is easily used with one hand. But times change, and so do screen sizes.
    Times don't change 33% in a year however, would apple go larger, likely, it would make since 4.2-4.7 inches, not the 5+, if they do it we will see likely see always a model with a 4ish screen size, the idea of a 6 large, 6 small, 6C, and 5C is insane to.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gwmac wrote: »
    It sold well but it failed to satisfy the larger display crowd.

So you and your two friends. "Big" deal.
    One handed use is simply not as important as it used to be.

For you and your two friends. Anyone else who actually uses their phone as a phone, however...
    ...there is a natural inclination to rest it in the palm of one hand and use the other hand to touch the screen.

Or, you know, use the thumb of the hand holding it.
    Anything smaller than 4.7" and I would be very reluctant to stick with an iPhone again. 

Later, skater. And since I'm not... (lol, not getting an infration) ...I won't mock you for "not owning" an iPhone.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you and your two friends. "Big" deal.

You're either in denial, ignorant, dismissive or all three.

Larger display for an iPhone is desired by a LOT more people than gwmac and his two friends...the sooner you accept that the sooner you'll move on to chastising something/someone else.