Apple's iAd creation tools expanded to non-developers, now support videos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Apple is working to expand its iAd mobile advertising platform, making the "Workbench" tool for ad creation available to anyone with an Apple ID, and also enabling the ability to run short videos within ads.

iAd

The company's efforts to expand access to the iAd platform were highlighted on Tuesday by AdAge. While the iAd Workbench was previously only available to registered developers, but now new types of advertisers will be able to jump on board.

Apple reportedly hopes that the expansion for iAd will help to bring in new types of advertisers who may spend more money than current clients. Specifically cited in the report were major film studios and retail outlets, along with smaller customers like independent filmmakers and small car dealerships.

In addition, Apple has also loosed restrictions on the type of content allowed in iAds, as short video clips may be used. It was first revealed last month that Apple was planning to expand iAd options with new full-screen video ads.

In addition, where iAds ultimately direct users has also been relaxed from just mobile apps, to now a separate website or promoted iTunes content. Advertisements are still limited to iOS devices.

"Now, it appears Apple has concluded money in mobile ads comes from a wide net; in short, it'll look more like Google," AdAge's Mark Bergen reported.

Apple recently reorganized its iAd team, shifting some of its focus to selling advertisements on the iTunes Radio streaming music service. Former terrestrial radio executive Michael Pallad was brought in to head that team in December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I wonder if they are going to expand this HTML 5 design tool into a full blown web pager designer? It would be nice to see the return of iWeb.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    I wonder if they are going to expand this HTML 5 design tool into a full blown web pager designer? It would be nice to see the return of iWeb.

Agreed. Time for a new web design tool to compete with other HTML tools available.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    Agreed. Time for a new web design tool to compete with other HTML tools available.

Are there any such tools today that are used by professionals to make modern pages with HTML5, CSS3, and JS, all with dynamic auto-layout features for different kinds of computing environments (i.e.: smartphone, tablet, "PC")?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are there any such tools today that are used by professionals to make modern pages with HTML5, CSS3, and JS, all with dynamic auto-layout features for different kinds of computing environments (i.e.: smartphone, tablet, "PC")?

Speaking for myself, after iWeb I simply gave up. I have no hope of learning the fine points of HTML5, CSS and JavaScript. I don't want to learn it, and I shouldn't have to learn it. Make the tools smarter, that's all I ask.

• Reply 5 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Speaking for myself, after iWeb I simply gave up. I have no hope of learning the fine points of HTML5, CSS and JavaScript. I don't want to learn it, and I shouldn't have to learn it. Make the tools smarter, that's all I ask.

My solution was to just use SquareSpace. They use modern code with plenty of templates at a reasonable price. If I ever need a more comprehensive website I will then simply hire people to do the job… and they can do it right on SquareSpace through their developer portal.

For your sake (and everyone else's) I hope you get an updated version of iWeb but frankly I don't think that's going to happen because people the primary reason people used it seems to now be infused with a vast number of social media sites.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:

Hype (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hype-2/id685096913?mt=12) is a fantastic start and add Flux (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flux-4/id506297603?mt=12) to the mix and you've got a pretty good set of tools. Of course everything can be hand coded using Coda (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/coda-2/id499340368?mt=12) if you want more control.

• Reply 7 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think the main difficulty for amateurs, with current web design, is that modern web pages are not really 'pages' anymore. They are a collection of objects assembled at runtime by scripting engines. This makes it very difficult for a WYSIWYG type layout design tool to represent the final rendering. Most hosting services have some web based layout tools but, by and large, they only create flat HTML not dynamic content, however that is all some people need.

Technology advances at such a rapid rate it is even difficult for professionals to keep up. Same thing happened with cars. You used to be able to work on them. Now the average person cannot even change their oil because you need a computer to reset the change oil light.

• Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

My solution was to just use SquareSpace. They modern code with plenty of templates at a reasonable price. If I ever need a more comprehensive website I will then simply hire people to do the job.

For your sake (and everyone else's) I hope you get an updated version of iWeb but frankly I don't think that's going to happen because people the primary reason people used it seems to now be infused with a vast number of social media sites.

I think you're probably right.

• Reply 9 of 12
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    My solution was to just use SquareSpace. They modern code with plenty of templates at a reasonable price. If I ever need a more comprehensive website I will then simply hire people to do the job.

SquareSpace, or Weebly (less techy) and a few others are so good that it is hard to see why anybody would bother creating an iWeb like app. There are a few iWeb type apps out there but they all seem a lot more complicated than something like weebly. For really basic use or sharing I am sure You are right, people use FB or flickr (or similar). Path of least resistance.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Google is knocking its knees
  • Reply 11 of 12
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Dreamweaver is pretty widely used today.

• Reply 12 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Dreamweaver is pretty widely used today.

I'm strapped for time. Insert something verbose about "no, he wants something that isn't a bigger pile of crap than Daddy Day Camp" here.