Apple updates Safari with enhanced push notification, new security features

Posted:
in Mac Software edited April 2014
Apple on Tuesday rolled out an update to its Safari Web Browser for Mac, with new features like enhanced push notification settings coming to users of OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Perhaps most significant among Safari version 7.0.3's new features is greater control over push notifications, which in the past required per-website management.

With the latest release, users can simply uncheck a box for "Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications," which effectively disables all incoming push attempts. In addition, the update includes a fix to an issue that could block the receipt of push notifications.

Support for webpages with new top-level domains, like ".cab" and ".clothing," has also been added, allowing Safari to move directly to a webpage instead of initiating a Web search.

Other fixes include an problem that could cause a webpage to load prematurely when typing a search term into the address field, credit card autofill compatibility and several security issues.

Safari 7.0.3, or Safari 6.1.3 for those running older OS X versions, is a free download from the Mac App Store or Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Seems snappier.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am seeing all new iWorks Apps for Mavericks too. :)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Oh good, I had occasionally gotten the premature webpage loading from the search bar. It's also nice that you can disable all notification solicitations. I think that's one part of iOS that needs to be toned down in general. People who don't bother managing their Notification Center end up getting flooded with stuff they never pay attention to.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

Safari 7.0.3 on Mavericks definately feels snappier now, and loading configuration pages for things like AdBlock and ClicktoPlugin seem to open faster too. Even this site, which traditionally uses a ton of poorly-written JavaScript, is running better now.

To me though, the most important part are the security enhancements. This is something all companies should start focusing as a #1 priority. Keep em' coming Apple!

• Reply 5 of 10
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Oh good, I had occasionally gotten the premature webpage loading from the search bar. It's also nice that you can disable all notification solicitations. I think that's one part of iOS that needs to be toned down in general. People who don't bother managing their Notification Center end up getting flooded with stuff they never pay attention to.

In all fairness, that's just putting the stamp of approval on ignorance. If the user doesn't bother to take the time to learn how to perform two clicks (Settings icon, Notification Centre), then they deserve whatever they get. I'm sick of users claiming the device is broken or ill-conceived, because they're too ignorant of the features given them, or are too lazy / stupid to learn them.

• Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

In all fairness, that's just putting the stamp of approval on ignorance. If the user doesn't bother to take the time to learn how to perform two clicks (Settings icon, Notification Centre), then they deserve whatever they get. I'm sick of users claiming the device is broken or ill-conceived, because they're too ignorant of the features given them, or are too lazy / stupid to learn them.

I feel your pain; however, one man's laziness or stupidity is another man's convenience.

• Reply 7 of 10
    Ater the update, I lost the ability to close Safari. Command Q does not work and I can not close new tabs in Safari now either.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

Ater the update, I lost the ability to close Safari. Command Q does not work and I can not close new tabs in Safari now either.

Just tried. Works fine. Check your shortcuts.

• Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just tried. Works fine. Check your shortcuts.

I can not even restart my computer to close the program. Safari won't allow the computer to restart

• Reply 10 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

I can not even restart my computer to close the program. Safari won't allow the computer to restart

Hmm. Force Quit Safari, then. Option-click the icon in the Dock.