How Wikipedia's sloppy facts obscured reality in Apple vs. Samsung trial

Comments

• Reply 141 of 170
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

150 million Galaxy S models sold since 2010 vs 430 million iPhones over the same period, yet Apple are the "failures".

Source Sydney Galaxy S5 launch Tuesday March 25 2014.

Curious if thats just the Galaxy S series or all Galaxy models which includes the S, Note, Pro, Tab, R, W, M, and Y

• Reply 142 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    Curious if thats just the Galaxy S series or all Galaxy models which includes the S, Note, Pro, Tab, R, W, M, and Y

If they don't specifically mention the S it means they mean the entire Galaxy line.

Including the $2 Samsung Galaxy USB dongles in China that contain pirated movies.*

* I'm not saying they exist, just that they would be included if they did.
  • Reply 143 of 170
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    andysol wrote: »

Was that an old banner pic in the Hill60 link? Samsung announced 200 million S-model sales back in February, supposedly 100M of those in the past year.
    http://www.sammobile.com/2014/02/24/samsung-sold-more-than-200-million-galaxy-s-handsets/
  • Reply 144 of 170
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Was that an old banner pic in the Hill60 link? Samsung announced 200 million S-model sales back in February, supposedly 100M of those in the past year.

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/02/24/samsung-sold-more-than-200-million-galaxy-s-handsets/

No, it was taken at the Samsung Galaxy S5 launch in Sydney, Australia last week, on the 24th of March.

Maybe 50 million + were "shipped" not sold.

430 million iPhones sold over the same time frame.

• Reply 145 of 170
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    hill60 wrote: »
    No, it was taken at the Samsung Galaxy S5 launch in Sydney, Australia last week, on the 24th of March.

Maybe 50 million + were "shipped" not sold.

430 million iPhones sold over the same time frame.

That's the problem with lying. Sammy can't remember which lies it told.
  • Reply 146 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

This kind of dumbassery (your comment) is the reason some people hate Apple. 

Your comment is the reason many people hate Apple-haters.

• Reply 147 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

My ultimate dream is for DED to write an exposé on his own articles and how they obscure reality.  I am concerned, though, that such an article may cause a feedback loop that brings down the internet...

If that's your ultimate dream, then you need to wake up.

• Reply 148 of 170
    If that's your ultimate dream, then you need to wake up.

Right?! My ultimate dream has nothing to do with anyone who reads this site.
  • Reply 149 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Why single out WikiPedia? Just change the sentence a little and you're done ...

Everyone (at least, everyone with any brain), knows not to trust "Authority X" as a single source for knowledge.

The TV, magazines, the government, politicians, corporations, newspapers and more all have an angle. In this information overloaded age, we are lucky to be able to easily cross-reference against other reports and interpretations. Essential if you want to have any hope to find out what's really going on around us.

As an ex of mine said .. The only place you can find "objectivity" is in the dictionary. :-)

You'll find subjectivity in the dictionary, too.

• Reply 150 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Look at this entire thread. Look at the amount of time and effort this website devotes to bashing Samsung.

It's really embarrassing that these people exist.

DED is pretty much the Fox News of tech reporting, and everything he writes is a hit-piece.

I start visiting this site, browse through a bit to see when the updates are coming, and then one of these steaming piles always turns me away again.

Without this garbage this site would be so, so much better.

Keep enjoying that mountain view, as you clearly can't see the wood or the trees.

• Reply 151 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where did you read that? Wikipedia?

No; she used her brain.

• Reply 152 of 170
    Quote:

Where did you read that? Wikipedia?

No; she used her brain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I just noticed the talk page for the Wikipedia page in question.  I've worked with a team that successfully updated a 'controversial' page on wikipedia and our method was VERY different then what I'm seeing here.  'Vigilantes' going in and 'attacking' the page will get your edits reverted very quickly.  If a change is going to be made to shift the tone of the article it would be best to form a group in private and create a draft for the proposed changes.  Peer review it amongst the group and make sure it's as unbiased as possible.  Stick only to facts and provide citations for those facts.  As it stands now I can't think of a single person on this forum that would be capable of being unbiased and sticking only to facts, but surely there are AI members who don't post regularly that would fit the bill.  Our team found that the wikipedia regulars were quite welcoming when approached in that manner.  Stick to the facts and inject no opinion.  I'd also suggest giving it some time before approaching with any changes.  As the page has recently been vandalized multiple times in the last few days there is currently a lock on the page and people will also be very weary of future changes after loooking at the revision history.

It's hard to be unbiased when fighting wrong.

• Reply 153 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Whether or not any regular posters are capable of working in an unbiased and facts only nature is arguably the least important part of my initial post.  Strange how that's what gets focused on...

The point is that the current strategy for getting the Wikipedia page changed is a very bad one.  Don't go in and make changes like removing content and replacing it with "Samsung, go suck a duck" under an anonymous IP address or make changes just so you can screenshot it and see how long it takes to get reverted.  That's considered vandalism and it hurts your cause.  There is a much better alternative approach if you're serious about wanting the page to be improved.

Not really so strange, seeing as you decided to casually slander every single poster here as irredeemably biased and therefore probably not worthy of editing a precious Wikipedia entry.

• Reply 154 of 170
    Not really so strange, seeing as you decided to casually slander every single poster here as irredeemably biased and therefore probably not worthy of editing a precious Wikipedia entry.

You'd think that someone that prefers Android would appreciate the "openness" of Wikipedia. :D
  • Reply 155 of 170
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Huh? I'm an Apple-hater now? Grow up, ffs.

• Reply 156 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »

She's too busy raising dragons. :lol:
  • Reply 157 of 170
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Mine might, I'm not sure if she reads AI or not.  8-)

• Reply 158 of 170
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

This kind of dumbassery (your comment) is the reason some people hate Apple. 

This comment is the reason that people hate people who hate Apple-haters.

• Reply 159 of 170
    Shamey, shamey
    Plz leave edits in the hands of professional "impartial" wiki editors like this ........

Bjornte, interpret as you wish. You might be pleased to know that you must have made Dilger's day.
    After all, it is quite rare that his diatribes have any effect. But here we have it, this article is now labelled as biased, and will certainly be rewritten in a manner more pleasing to Cupertino.
    To be honest, I thought you, as a European, especially a proud Norwegian, would be above kowtowing to large American companies. Alas, I see Apple is inching closer and closer to its goal of eliminating all meaningful competition via its world-class legal and marketing departments.

Furthermore -- even more happy news for you -- since Wikipedia is apparently controlled by the American companies with the largest marketing and legal departments, just as any other American media outlet, I see no purpose in further contributing to, trusting in, or promoting Wikipedia. So have at it, edit as the overlords from Cupertino demand. Slopswool (talk) 22:45, 29 March 2014 (UTC)

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Apple_Inc._v._Samsung_Electronics_Co.,_Ltd. ]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Apple_Inc._v._Samsung_Electronics_Co.,_Ltd. [/URL]
  • Reply 160 of 170
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Mine involves Ganymede. Also dying of old age. Really old. But those are unrelated.
    frank pope wrote: »
    Alas, I see Apple is inching closer and closer to its goal of eliminating all meaningful competition via its world-class legal and marketing departments, and its army of blind followers.

Just shut up and go away, please.