Amazon takes on Apple TV with new $99 fireTV streaming & gaming set-top box

Comments

• Reply 41 of 193
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Here come the spec chasers, so disappointed in Apple. So concerned that Apple doesn't chase every competitor. So concerned that Apple doesn't believe in "more is more."

?

I'm disappointed Apple didn't release something similar last year.  At the very latest, last month.  I'm also not concerned Apple will "chase" a competitor- I'm concerned Apple didn't beat them to the punch like they normally do.  Had Apple released a similar device last month, everyone would laugh at this box and it would be DOA.  Will it still be DOA- possibly, but it's hard to argue that its not the best box out there right now.  Outside of Airplay and iTunes access- it crushes the ATV in a multitude of ways.

Again, tell me why Apple couldn't have released an Apple TV with:

A7- which they already have

Voice Search- which they already have

Gaming- which they already have controllers for

App Store- which they could easily already have

That isn't "spec chasing"- sorry.

I'm holding out that Apple has some proprietary or specific reason why they were holding out. If its what I mentioned above- I'll be extremely happy, but I'll also say- what took so long?

• Reply 42 of 193
    scartart wrote: »
    I feel that Apple dropped the ball here. They sat back, not introducing new features such as gaming, which has allowed Amazon to step in.

I'm speculating here, but I think Apple has played this just right -- let the others show their catch up offerings, then blow them away with a new/replacement AppleTV.

Timing means a lot!
  • Reply 43 of 193
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I think the two really appealing features to me are voice search (if it works well) and also the game style controller. Even if you don't game at all these controller are far easier to zoom through Netflix if you are sitting in the dark while watching a movie like I tend to do.

Makes sense, but is that worth spending another $40 on top of paying $99 just to get this controller?

I'm speculating here, but I think Apple has played this just right -- let the others show their catch up offerings, then blow them away with a new/replacement AppleTV.

Timing means a lot!

That is what I'm hoping. This device, like the Apple TV that arrived back in 2007 and every other competitor that emerged after it are all dead-end devices.

I want Apple to release something that truly integrated the living room into a simple system. Having to grab the TV remote (or grab the programmable remote to then hit the button to control the TV) to then switch between inputs is a failure. I was hoping this comparatively large box from Amazon that doesn't contain a HDD or PSU would at least have an HDMI passthrough. That at least would mean the FireTV UI would always be available.
  • Reply 44 of 193
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'm speculating here, but I think Apple has played this just right -- let the others show their catch up offerings, then blow them away with a new/replacement AppleTV.

Timing means a lot!

I hope so :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Makes sense, but is that worth spending another $40 on top of paying $99 just to get this controller?

Apple's will be the same.  Although they opened up their controller design to third parties and likely won't have their own (all the better).  And while the games won't be up to par with those of the PS4 and Xbox, they will be substantially less expensive.  So its a "price sans quality" deal.

Now the only downside is most casual gamers arent worried about controllers, and the controllers were likely intended to appeal to the casual gamer- who would prefer touch screen.  But again, Apple is likely aiming at the exact same thing.

• Reply 45 of 193
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The amount of NAND seems surprisingly low at 8GB and I'm not seeing an SD Card slot, which would actually come in handy on such a device. 

Agree. Perhaps the USB port can be used for external storage.

• Reply 46 of 193
    rogifan wrote: »

I expect Apple to announce something at WWDC, including an AppStore. I don't see how Amazon announcing something 2 months earlier is a big deal. Kindle Fire didn't stop Apple from selling a shitload of iPad minis.
    That will depend if it ships straight away. Amazon could have a 6+ month lead.

If Amazon get a third party app that gives AirPlay functionality and then a lot of business sales of ATV disappear. Companies want a single device to be able to support both Apple and Android devices to stream presentations.

Is that true? According to what I've read most of the businesses use iOS (86%-92%) for AirPlay==>AppleTV presos.
  • Reply 47 of 193

Nothing too innovative here if you ask me.  Not 2160P/4K capable, no H.265/HEVC support (to me this is critical for a 2014-released streamer!), no 802.11AC support, no Bluetooth 4.1 support.  

As for games and voice search -- it's all stuff that competition has done and Jobs talked about...  

• Reply 48 of 193
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member

God, that AI looks like a cross between Plex Home Theatre and Windows 8 Modern UI... I'll still take Plex or Apple TV over this thing any day. And knowing Amazon, the build quality will be shit.

• Reply 49 of 193
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    It feels like point Amazon advantage Amazon.

It's hard watching lesser companies do greater things than Apple.

It's hard watching other companies dominate phones tablets and wearables. And streaming.

Apple you can't hit the ball if you never swing.

I really hope Tim lives up to his promise and releases new stuff this year.

Ease up on relentless perfectionism!
  • Reply 50 of 193
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

Timing means a lot!

Exactly. Let the others show their hand then whip out a 4K ATV gaming rig with some live TV.
  • Reply 51 of 193
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Timing means a lot!

I dunno, nobody is going to sit around for the rumored "Fantastic new" ATV. If I want a streamer box I buy what's best available now. I have an ATV and a Roku I see no need to rush out and buy a new Amazon FireTV or a new ATV. Maybe when one of them craps out I will. Same for new buyers, IMO they will buy best of what is available and stick with it until they "need" a new device.

• Reply 52 of 193
    It runs (an Amazon version of) Android. I need know nothing more.
  • Reply 53 of 193
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

DEDICATED GAME CONTROLLERS.

BLUETOOTH (no line-of-sight) REMOTE.

Are you listening, Apple?

• Reply 54 of 193
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    TCompanies want a single device to be able to support both Apple and Android devices to stream presentations.
    http://www.slashgear.com/google-chromebox-for-meetings-aims-to-usurp-enterprise-with-chrome-os-06315954/
  • Reply 55 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I think the two really appealing features to me are voice search (if it works well)

My prediction: it won't (it never does), but at least Amazon had the good sense to put the mic in the remote so you're not shouting at your TV.

• Reply 56 of 193
    undefined
  • Reply 57 of 193
    Great idea by Amazon. Hopefully, Apple will come out with an Apple TV that integrates with the App Store and has a video game controller. It's time for some new innovation from Apple that goes beyond a device just being 'lighter' then its predecessor.
  • Reply 58 of 193

You know what I'd really like to see?  Not an Apple-branded smart TV.  Not a standalone AppleTV.  But an Apple media HT receiver.  Current HT receivers are crap.  The remotes suck.  The setup sucks.  The complexity sucks.  Just put it all into one great package already.  Built a great HT receiver with plenty of power, pristine audio and video quality and a great on-screen UI, fully controllable from iPhone/iPad.  AppleTV functionality is built in.  And it functions in a thoughtful way.  When I play music, it automatically switches the audio mode to my preferred setup for music (direct stereo, 7-ch stereo, whatever).  When I watch movies, it automatically switches the audio mode to Dolby/DTS surround.  The HT receiver space is in desperate need of a reinvention.

This would be a product that could still command a decent profit margin (unlike a TV) while filling in a gap currently dominated by horrific products.

• Reply 59 of 193
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    512ke wrote: »
    It feels like point Amazon advantage Amazon.

It's hard watching lesser companies do greater things than Apple.

It's hard watching other companies dominate phones tablets and wearables. And streaming.

Apple you can't hit the ball if you never swing.

I really hope Tim lives up to his promise and releases new stuff this year.

Ease up on relentless perfectionism!
    What other company(ies) are DOMINATING any of these areas? Certainly no one is in wearables. In fact I just saw an article about how 40% of smartwatch/fitness band owners stop using the product after a few months and don't have plans to buy another one again.

What is it with all the nervous nellies every time a competitor releases a new product? Geez....
  • Reply 60 of 193
    solipsismx wrote: »
    gwmac wrote: »
    I think the two really appealing features to me are voice search (if it works well) and also the game style controller. Even if you don't game at all these controller are far easier to zoom through Netflix if you are sitting in the dark while watching a movie like I tend to do.

Timing means a lot!

That is what I'm hoping. This device, like the Apple TV that arrived back in 2007 and every other competitor that emerged after it are all dead-end devices.

I want Apple to release something that truly integrated the living room into a simple system. Having to grab the TV remote (or grab the programmable remote to then hit the button to control the TV) to then switch between inputs is a failure. I was hoping this comparatively large box from Amazon that doesn't contain a HDD or PSU would at least have an HDMI passthrough. That at least would mean the FireTV UI would always be available.

I think HDMI passthrough (cable box bypass) is the key.

If Apple can include this, along with ac WiFi -- they could stream separate, concurrent live TV to multiple Personal TVs (iPads, iPhones) within the home (or enterprise/institution).

We currently do exactly that using n WiFi from a Mac running ServeToMe streaming [the same or] different videos to iPads/iPhones -- the most we've tried is 5 concurrent sessions. We have about 3,000 videos in our Home Library.

BTW, this capability is excellent for education/training videos, e.g. a 12-hour FCPX course, a Real Estate Broker Training course, a driver training course, etc.

An Apple Tie-in with some education/training content providers would be great!