Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    mitchlamitchla Posts: 8member
    And it comes with rich Cortana leather.
  • Reply 22 of 113
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

WOW, you made the assessment buy on a press release, don't you think you should at least wait until you actually used it. How many times does companies like MS have slideware that people buy into only to find out it does not work as claimed which it better than anything else out there.

Remember this, engineer who make these product thing they are god because they can create things, so by definition it the best thing ever.

That's fair enough. We absolutely need to see it in real life before commenting. Especially with MS, who are kings of vaporware.

However, the idea, and demoed aspects of Cortana are far wider than Siri.

• Reply 23 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

AI, you missed the biggest news of mobile for the last few years.

MS has made Windows Phone FREE for all devices under 9" in size. Huge shot across Google's bow.

Microsoft is finally realizing that Android is the REAL threat to their business. Apple isn't.

Apple will continue making premium devices for people who are willing to pay for quality, just like in the desktop world. It will never really threaten MS, and in fact, usually benefits them by giving them ideas for next updates to their OS. Android, OTOH, is trying to be the next Windows.

• Reply 24 of 113
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post

Don't really care much for Cortana, but I am rather intrigued by the single screen idea they have:

MDmlZoL.jpg

you realize why Apple did not do this, the over head is too great to support all the form factors and all the various processors types and such, yeah it would be nice and this is MS attempt to say you do not have to give anything up if you on your phone or computer in your office. It all thing to all people which will be it will such for all people on all things.

• Reply 25 of 113
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Microsoft is finally realizing that Android is the REAL threat to their business. Apple isn't.

Apple will continue making premium devices for people who are willing to pay for quality, just like in the desktop world. It will never really threaten MS, and in fact, usually benefits them by giving them ideas for next updates to their OS. Android, OTOH, is trying to be the next Windows.

Is it weird that I'm rooting for Microsoft to overtake Android?

What has this world come to :???:  :wow:

• Reply 26 of 113
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member
    Quote:

you realize why Apple did not do this, the over head is too great to support all the form factors and all the various processors types and such, yeah it would be nice and this is MS attempt to say you do not have to give anything up if you on your phone or computer in your office. It all thing to all people which will be it will such for all people on all things.

Actually Apple does do this, just on a smaller scale - iPhone and iPad use the same app platform. MS is just taking it further and extending it to desktops and TVs.  Processors shouldn't be an issue, as Windows RT can already handle it pretty well.

• Reply 27 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Is it weird that I'm rooting for Microsoft to overtake Android?

What has this world come to :???:  :wow:

I gained a lot of respect for MS after Windows Phone. I still think iOS is better, however, unlike Android, which basically just copied everything about iOS, MS genuinely gave us a new OS, with a completely different interface, and a different way of interacting with the phone.

Definitely agreed that I'm rooting for MS to beat Android.

• Reply 28 of 113
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    They might get some from Apple, but it's mainly against Android as they make the only other popular OS that can be used by anyone.

The HUGE difference (which will be a big selling point) is MS has an indemnification policy (something Google lacks, and MS loves to make fun of). With all the lawsuits going on this is a big advantage for Windows Phone over Android.

I vaguely recall something about Microsoft and indemnification but can't remember any of the details. Do you perhaps have a link to it? No biggie if you don't.
  • Reply 29 of 113
    addicted44 wrote: »
    This is a lot nicer than Siri. It seamlessly integrates Bing Search, Local Search, Siri, Google Now-lite, as well as allowing 3rd parties to tie into Cortana (something I am still amazed Apple hasn't added), all within the same interface.
    Bet u have msft stocks
  • Reply 30 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I vaguely recall something about Microsoft and indemnification but can't remember any of the details. Do you perhaps have a link to it? No biggie if you don't.

I think it's basically, if any software patents are violated, the owners of the patents have to sue MS, and not the hardware vendors.

• Reply 31 of 113

I gained a lot of respect for MS after Windows Phone. I still think iOS is better, however, unlike Android, which basically just copied everything about iOS, MS genuinely gave us a new OS, with a completely different interface, and a different way of interacting with the phone.

Definitely agreed that I'm rooting for MS to beat Android.

How is the interaction different? Honest question as I've never used it. Looks as tho they offer similar voice controls and search as Google, gestures, multi-touch etc. same as iOS, Android Nokia X and others.
  • Reply 32 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Bet u have msft stocks

Lol. No.

AAPL actually. Been riding it since it dropped to the 80s in 2009.

Some of my SW development is on .Net though, so I watched the Build Keynote today, and for the first time, I was actually impressed with what MS is doing. However, as another poster warned, there is a huge gap between a demo and a product, so it is still wait and see.

• Reply 33 of 113

I think it's basically, if any software patents are violated, the owners of the patents have to sue MS, and not the hardware vendors.

Have any of the Apple lawsuits claimed Android itself as the offender? If a Windows function isn't being claimed to infringe but the vendor uses Windows as the OS does Microsoft still come to their defense? I don't know.
  • Reply 34 of 113
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    Quote:

The copy machine is alive and well in Redmond

Apple bought Siri so not like it was an original thought from the start

• Reply 35 of 113
    Quote:

How is the interaction different? Honest question as I've never used it. Looks as tho they offer similar voice controls and search as Google, gestures, multi-touch etc. same as iOS, Android Nokia X and others.

I am talking about touch controls only. iOS (and consequently Android) use tapping as the primary touch gesture to move between panels (the exception being the home screens). WP7, OTOH, uses swiping as the primary gesture to move between panels. So, for example, on iOS, to switch from your Facebook news feed, to your Friends list, you will probably tap an icon. On WP, you will probably swipe left to right, or right to left.

I am not saying it is better. However, it was at least an attempt to do something other than straight up copying iOS.

• Reply 36 of 113
    Quote:

Have any of the Apple lawsuits claimed Android itself as the offender? If a Windows function isn't being claimed to infringe but the vendor uses Windows as the OS does Microsoft still come to their defense? I don't know.

If it's the hardware, I think the vendor is responsible.

Some of the lawsuits have claimed the OS as the offender (the scrolling rubber banding effect, for example), but Apple is suing Samsung, instead of Google, because Google does not indemnify Samsung (although, in this case it may be because Samsung copied the feature, and it wasn't present in stock Android? Not exactly sure. I don't really follow the patents stuff much).

• Reply 37 of 113
    "The copy machine is alive and well in Redmond"

When a product has been out for years and versions of that same product have been introduced by other companies and you can implement your own version of that product with different code/technology, a different look/feel/way to use it, and with more features then it is not copying.

Otherwise, Apple's I-Pod "copied" the other MP3 players on the market (some of which were actually commercially successful), I-Pad did the same with other tablets, and of course Apple's PC line copied IBM (especially if you include the pre-Apple Lisa machines that were not GUI-driven, and especially the pre-Apple III machines that had no mouse, icons or desktop).

That being said, Cortana is not going to be enough to get people to buy a Windows Phone. It is difficult to say what would at this point that Android and Apple do not already have covered. Microsoft either needs to join the Chinese manufacturers primarily targeting developing markets, or focus their efforts on developing and selling software for phones that everyone else makes.
  • Reply 38 of 113
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This is a lot nicer than Siri. It seamlessly integrates Bing Search, Local Search, Siri, Google Now-lite, as well as allowing 3rd parties to tie into Cortana (something I am still amazed Apple hasn't added), all within the same interface.

Bet u have msft stocks

And if he does, so frickin' what?

If you have a retirement portfolio with a pension fund, you also probably own MSFT.

• Reply 39 of 113
    Siri was probably derived from Iris reversed (I assume the name of developer's girlfriend, or mom), therefore Cortana comes from a lady called Anatroc.
  • Reply 40 of 113
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post

Don't really care much for Cortana, but I am rather intrigued by the single screen idea they have:

MDmlZoL.jpg

Interesting, I think these are also a bit more important than Cortana:

Free Windows on <9" devices:

Windows will be free on small devices

Classic Start menu with live tiles: