UN uses Apple's iBeacons to create 'virtual minefield' in new awareness exhibit

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
Visitors to New York's New Museum of Contemporary Art on Friday will be able to get some idea of what it is like to walk through a minefield thanks to a new iBeacon-powered installation sponsored by the United Nations Mine Action Service.

Museum-goers who download the accompanying "sweeper" app to their iOS or Android device will be asked to don headphones and try to make their way through the exhibit without setting off the virtual mines, represented by iBeacons. Those who are unable to make it through unscathed will hear a "jarring, visceral explosion" as well as a short audio clip from someone who has been personally affected by land mines.

The exhibit is timed to coincide with the United Nations' International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action. Other events including photo exhibitions in Ethiopia, Mali, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Geneva and New York will take place concurrently as the international body hopes to draw attention to an issue that affects millions of people around the world.

During the exhibit's run at the New Museum of Contemporary Art from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on April 4, visitors will be asked for a $5 donation for each virtual mine that they set off. The exhibit is hosted by UNMAS, digital agency Critical Mass, and renowned Swiss photographer Marco Grob.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I am torn. At the same time this seems like a very clever use of iBeacons but at the same time a bit too much.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Do people (even uneducated people in Africa) ever try to walk through minefields? Wouldn't the locals just know there are mines in that area, and everyone keeps away from it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ascii wrote: »
    Do people (even uneducated people in Africa) ever try to walk through minefields? Wouldn't the locals just know there are mines in that area, and everyone keeps away from it.

Um. I doubt anyone kept copious records of every mine they laid.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Mines are used by the militia/military, civilians can only guess, but only after some casualties.  

Imagine the fear/lost of lives, innocent ones, regardless of one’s academic degree.

I think - awareness exhibit -  is very clear.

• Reply 5 of 13
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

What a great application for something that is generally seen as 'simply' a marketing feature to drive retail sales.

https://www.icbl.org

• Reply 6 of 13
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I am torn. At the same time this seems like a very clever use of iBeacons but at the same time a bit too much.
    .....be able to get some idea of what it is like to walk through a minefield....

Indeed it is.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ascii wrote: »

Take Korea. They need the land. Doesn't matter what's underneath it.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Take Korea. They need the land. Doesn't matter what's underneath it.

Yep, that's what I thought the main problem with minefields would be: denying valuable land, not so much people consciously trying to walk through one.

• Reply 9 of 13
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Who the F approved this at Apple.?.?

If they intend to use iBeacons in advertising, the suggestion of 'walking through a minefield' is hardly the image they want to convey, lol. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 10 of 13
    palomine wrote: »

If they intend to use iBeacons in advertising, the suggestion of 'walking through a minefield' is hardly the image they want to convey, lol. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that it didn't need any type of approval. It's a risk you take when you allow companies/institutions to use the tech how they see fit.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

The same people that approved the existence of Xcode, I’d guess.

• Reply 12 of 13
    The same people that approved the existence of Xcode, I’d guess.

I think he meant who approved the idea of what it is like to walk through a minefield over at Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I think he meant who approved the idea of what it is like to walk through a minefield over at Apple.

I don’t see any problem with approving it, particularly since it’s the UN and they could have just given Apple a ring explaining what it was.