Apple's WWDC 2014 kicks off June 2, tickets to be issued by random selection April 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Seems like Apple has big and brand new things this year.

It does? Phil Schiller's statements could have been plucked out of at least the last 2 WWDC's in a row.

"Next generation of iOS & OS X"

Nothing unexpected about that. Of course they have iOS 8 and OS 10.10 to show off. June is 6 months into the year and Apple has released nothing except an 8 GB iPhone 5c. This is also the second year in a row that they've let the entire first half of the year go quiet without a new product.

And quite honestly, 2013 was nothing special. When Apple let 6 months go by without a peep, and then delivered nothing extra to what was already expected (iPhones and iPads), and one completely overdue product refresh (Mac Pro) which no one could get until about a month ago, people expected to see big things happen in the first half of 2014....because surely Apple just ran out of time in late 2013 and couldn't release anything else they were working on....

....yet here we are in 2014 and the first peep out of Apple is announcing WWDC in June....again. Which means, as one would have to expect, there will be room for extras this year either. iOS & OS X updates. iPhone & iPad updates. A Mac or two will see a refresh.

Thats probably it.

• Reply 22 of 76
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Google event is to award and showcase which one copied the best and another category is who lost more money for Google

It's people like you who make the world worse. This is completely untrue and you know. I'm excited to see what Apple is going to come out with and can't wait to get the larger screen iPhone. 

• Reply 23 of 76
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    I was try trying to quote Tim Cook when he made that speech to the top 100 but then I forgo so... Ya but hopefully we'll see that bigger but not over sized iPhone and iWatch. Hopefully a new top box Apple TV.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I like how Apple is doing it this year. Lots of lead time and doing the lottery allows them to really know how many people want to attend and from where. Should give them a good idea if a second WWDC, maybe in Europe, is needed.
    macxpress wrote: »
    I think they would be a good idea, to have a second developers conference in Europe for those on the other side of the world. Then you could have language specific Apple engineers in Europe for the individual countries and it would also help with the US one filling up. I guess one could also argue Apple should also have one in Asia as well. 

On the surface I agree with you two but remember that Apple uses their own engineers for these sessions and their campus pretty much shuts down for a week to accommodate WWDC.

For this to work in Europe (and other places) they'd have to hire instructors specifically for this task that can learn from the engineers that created the tools being taught and then relay that info to us because we really can't have Apple being gutted for additional weeks through the year. This means also being able to field questions from attendees. It also means you lose a lot of what makes these sessions so special and valuable.

Because of those reasons I think it's just better that they post the videos of every single session online; which is something they do very quickly at this point.

The only other option seems to be a larger facility so they can house more people which means they have more people in a given session and potentially repeat sessions. But what facility near Cupertino could be used?

Last years Google I/O sold out in under an hour according to the Verge. http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/4093792/google-io-2013-registration-now-open-for-developers. WWDC sold out in 71 seconds according to Apple. Google I/O never sold out as fast as WWDC. WWDC is still the most popular non-gaming developer conference.

Did you factor in the maximum number of attendees? Is that info available? I think it's around 1500 for WWDC.

edit: Steve Jobs has stated it was 5000 on a previous year. Google I/O stated 5500 for 2013. Each were sold out and held in the same location.

Google I/O only costs $900 (or only $300 for those that can provide a student ID) whilst Apple charges $1600 for WWDC. Apple has no discount rate for students but they do offer 200 free tickets to students which are given out by providing an app that shows off your skills which will then get judged by others at a Apple.

Last year Google did have the odd requirement of registrants having both a Google+ and Google Wallet account before signing up which may account for an extra minute or two of the 49 minutes it took them to sell out.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pmz wrote: »
    It does? Phil Schiller's statements could have been plucked out of at least the last 2 WWDC's in a row.

"Next generation of iOS & OS X"

Nothing unexpected about that. Of course they have iOS 8 and OS 10.10 to show off. June is 6 months into the year and Apple has released nothing except an 8 GB iPhone 5c. This is also the second year in a row that they've let the entire first half of the year go quiet without a new product.

And quite honestly, 2013 was nothing special. When Apple let 6 months go by without a peep, and then delivered nothing extra to what was already expected (iPhones and iPads), and one completely overdue product refresh (Mac Pro) which no one could get until about a month ago, people expected to see big things happen in the first half of 2014....because surely Apple just ran out of time in late 2013 and couldn't release anything else they were working on....

....yet here we are in 2014 and the first peep out of Apple is announcing WWDC in June....again. Which means, as one would have to expect, there will be room for extras this year either. iOS & OS X updates. iPhone & iPad updates. A Mac or two will see a refresh.

Thats probably it.
    Basically we have no idea what Apple is going to announce at WWDC. Schiller isn't going to give anything away in a press release announcing when tickets go on sale.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sog35 wrote: »
    the logo looks like an old school crt tv dot matrix....

It also suggests an LCD matrix which becomes 3/4 empty space when it's driven by an IGZO backplane. Driving more pixels has to be the next big thing for developers. Or so we might expect for this year.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Seems from the invite that Apple TV will get love.

Originally Posted by daphreev View Post

The second picture looks like an Apple TV.

• Reply 28 of 76
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

On the surface I agree with you two but remember that Apple uses their own engineers for these sessions and their campus pretty much shuts down for a week to accommodate WWDC.

For this to work in Europe (and other places) they'd have to hire instructors specifically for this task that can learn from the engineers that created the tools being taught and then relay that info to us because we really can't have Apple being gutted for additional weeks through the year. This means also being able to field questions from attendees. It also means you lose a lot of what makes these sessions so special and valuable.

Because of those reasons I think it's just better that they post the videos of every single session online; which is something they do very quickly at this point.

The only other option seems to be a larger facility so they can house more people which means they have more people in a given session and potentially repeat sessions. But what facility near Cupertino could be used?

Did you factor in the maximum number of attendees? Is that info available? I think it's around 1500 for WWDC.

I agree they'd have to have region specific engineers for Europe and/or Asia

WWDC actually has around 5200 attendees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Worldwide_Developers_Conference

• Reply 29 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

???

They all look like App Icons.

This is what I was thinking...they just look like tiny individual app icons. I would think they'd have a separate event for an AppleTV release. 

• Reply 30 of 76
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    "I will be working at the Apple WWDC...  would you like some fries with that?"

Inline image 1

• Reply 31 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This is what I was thinking...they just look like tiny individual app icons. I would think they'd have a separate event for an AppleTV release. 
    But if they're announcing an SDK/AppStore wouldn't they want to do that at WWDC? If all they announce are updates to iOS and OSX that will be a pretty boring conference.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    [quote name="daphreev" url="/t/177249/apples-wwdc-2014-kicks-off-june-2-tickets-to-be-issued-by-random-selection-april-7#post_2509388"]The second picture looks like an Apple TV.
    [/quote
    They had a similar one lat year. I hope to see a Apple TV iOS 7 style update. Got a samsung TV, dislike smart hub
  • Reply 33 of 76
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is none.

Moscone Center is the largest convention space in SF Bay Area, with good access to hotels and public transit. This is why Oracle, Google, SalesForce, and others use the same facility.

Moving the WWDC to another city (like Las Vegas) brings its own set of headaches, challenges, and costs.

• Reply 34 of 76
    The first pics with the Apple Logos stem looks like those blocks could be iWatch and there deferent sizes so it could mean iWatch is coming in deferent sizes, or just pixels to a better screen... Something about sizes I think.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    shighshigh Posts: 27member
    Time to decode the images released with the announcment!!
  • Reply 36 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I like how Apple is doing it this year. Lots of lead time and doing the lottery allows them to really know how many people want to attend and from where. Should give them a good idea if a second WWDC, maybe in Europe, is needed.

It wouldn't be WWDC then. Instead you would have AWDC, EWDC and AWDC, for Americas, Europe and Asia. Due to the usual technology roll outs that wouldn't work at all
  • Reply 37 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This is Apple's answer to Amazon? No wonder they are doomed!
    /s

I wonder what new tech will they announce.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Don't they have every year???

For many if they don't understand something they don't see it as new or a feather in Apples cap. This is why the great accomplishment of the A series processors gets ignored, especially the A7. A7 is a significant confirmation of Apples design skills, the more information that leaks out the more it becomes obvious that A7 demonstrates a significant advancement for Apple and is in fact a very new product.

On the other hand I do expect much more this year than last so maybe it is the potential magnitude of releases before WWDC that has people excited.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But if they're announcing an SDK/AppStore wouldn't they want to do that at WWDC? If all they announce are updates to iOS and OSX that will be a pretty boring conference.

This isn't MacWorld...this is a developer conference. The general public (including investors) can't and shouldn't expect something amazing at a developers conference beyond demo'ing the next revision of iOS and/or OS X. Yes, this happens but if it doesn't we can't forget that this is simply a developers conference. Where developers can bring their code in, have it looked it, get questions answered about current code, and how to apply any new SDKs for iOS and OS X. This is what WWDC is all about, not announcing new products. This is why they got away from doing MacWorlds. 

• Reply 40 of 76
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

It's people like you who make the world worse. This is completely untrue and you know. I'm excited to see what Apple is going to come out with and can't wait to get the larger screen iPhone. 

Talk about living inside a bubble.  How simple-minded.  Really?  Talking bad about Google is who makes the world worse.  How about Genocide or sex slavery?  Aren't those just slightly worse?

You think there's going to be an iPhone announcement... how cute.  You don't know anything about WWDC or Apple, so I forgive you.