Apple updates iWork for iOS, OS X and iCloud with enhanced usability, graphics tweaks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    The collaboration features are still not up to Google Docs capabilities which is a great omission IMHO as this is one of the fundamental functions that iCloud should be doing well....why can't they get this right? Haven't tried Microsoft in this regard but I would imagine that they will have got this right too...
  • Reply 42 of 58
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

When is Apple going to apply the flat look to OSX?

The Pages, Keynote and Numbers icon look awful in OSX. I very much prefer their look in iOS.

• Reply 43 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It's simply not there. A Table of Contents is one of the most asked for feature for Pages. Without it, the application is neutered as a solid replacement to MS Office in higher education.

Not really, no.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iWork 09 did a pretty good job of opening and saving in native MS Office formats. Not perfect but pretty good. In corporate environments, people share a lot of Office documents, they make Word templates so all corporate communication is standardized, Those institutions are going to be very reluctant to give up their Office apps and switch to iWork.

If Apple wanted to really stick it to Microsoft, they should do everything they can to read and save Office documents in every detail, down to the smallest feature or obscure formula. Then Apple users could confidently switch to iWork with 100% compatibility with Office. At that point even the most stubborn Office holdouts would have no argument and iWork could be thought of as an equal within the corporate world..

Since MS doesn't even follow its own OOXML standard completely, the only way to achieve perfect compatibility with Office documents requires substantial ad-hoc hacks and guesswork.

• Reply 45 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

It probably has to do with accounting or possibly just pushing everyone to migrate to newer hardware. I'd take the less cynical route and say accounting, but who knows.

Oh God please stop with that accounting crap. This was used as an excuse for the fact that Apple used charge $2 for AirPort Utility, and OS X, and other things, now they are free. It's a lame excuse. It was used as an argument against my prediction that Mavericks was gonna be free, and guess what happened? I don't think having this free does anything to really affect Mac sales and in fact I think just furthers people love for the platform and Macs in general, making them more likely to buy a new Mac in the future than not. If they provided iWork for free on all Macs all it does it further iWorks foothold on this space. This is a good thing for Apple. Making Mavericks free for all Macs allows devs to concentrate on developing for one version of the OS, allowing them to sell to more people and makes the whole Mac platform stronger. This would do similar for this space IMO. Besides, most people who run iWork torrented it and iCloud.com is free.

It makes little to no sense that Mac users have to pay $14.99 for each iWork app when Mac users and even WINDOWS users can simply use iCloud.com for free. By making the iWork apps free on OS X is allow Mac users to have perks over Windows users regards iWork experiencing the full native experience at no cost. This should be a bonus of owning Apple hardware: where Apple makes its money.

• Reply 46 of 58

I would be willing to switch to the new iWork to create new documents as it sounds like the latest update adds many of the previous features, but I am concerned about the 100+ Keynotes I have created in iWork 09. What am I likely to lose if I import them to the new version? Missing transitions or builds? Movies that don't run?

I'd appreciate hearing of anyone else's experience...

• Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to add a Table of Contents to a Pages document either on the Cloud or on my iPad. Is there an option to do so that I am unable to find, or is it simply not there?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It's simply not there. 

Yep its under the insert menu - You must be in word processing mode

Its a little odd - it uses whatever you put as the title/heading styles you specify to auto fill its content. (found you can click on the table of contents after its created to control what it uses to auto fill)

if you can't find something on the mac just type it into the help menu

• Reply 48 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ylon View Post

Pages is still not usable. Apple you have really dropped the ball on the usability front here. In particular, you need to reenable us to make multiple selections at once via command-selecting various selections to make formats over many areas at once. This is a huge oversight and one that many of us frequently used. Not a hard function to implement and this needs to be back in here ASAP.

Pages can do this.

Perhaps there is a specific media type you are selecting with it that removes a formatting option?

Or maybe your talking about just the iPad app?

Also a much better way for large documents is to work is with styles - you can update all instances without selecting each one

• Reply 49 of 58
    STILL no export to HTML. :-((
    Come on, Apple; that isn't a toughie. Many of us very much need HTML output for web page content.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    ireland wrote: »
    Oh God please stop with that accounting crap. This was used as an excuse for the fact that Apple used charge $2 for AirPort Utility, and OS X, and other things, now they are free. It's a lame excuse. It was used as an argument against my prediction that Mavericks was gonna be free, and guess what happened? I don't think having this free does anything to really affect Mac sales and in fact I think just furthers people love for the platform and Macs in general, making them more likely to buy a new Mac in the future than not. If they provided iWork for free on all Macs all it does it further iWorks foothold on this space. This is a good thing for Apple. Making Mavericks free for all Macs allows devs to concentrate on developing for one version of the OS, allowing them to sell to more people and makes the whole Mac platform stronger. This would do similar for this space IMO. Besides, most people who run iWork torrented it and iCloud.com is free.

It makes little to no sense that Mac users have to pay $14.99 for each iWork app when Mac users and even WINDOWS users can simply use iCloud.com for free. By making the iWork apps free on OS X is allow Mac users to have perks over Windows users regards iWork experiencing the full native experience at no cost. This should be a bonus of owning Apple hardware: where Apple makes its money.

Actually, it's not a lame excuse. There are specific accounting rules with regards to adding features to products you have previously sold. Since I'm not an accountant, I don't know the intricacies of the rules.

Besides, I don't see the issue with Apple covering some of the costs of development of the 3 platforms by charging on OS X. Sure, being free would be great but I think $45 for the 3 apps is a steal. Heck, if you only use one app, it's even cheaper. Sure, Apple is a hardware company and having iWork for free would be somewhat of an incentive, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. Stating as fact that most people torrented iWork has no basis in fact. Bringing up using iCloud.com instead of the native app is disingenuous. It's not the same performance. Those two points honestly don't make sense to me. I use iWork every day and had no issues paying for the apps. Not every bit of software Apple releases needs to be free and subsidized by the hardware.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post

STILL no export to HTML. :-((

Come on, Apple; that isn't a toughie. Many of us very much need HTML output for web page content.

That will/should never happen

sorry but print design and web design are totally different

for starters print design has fixed width and height, the web doesn't.

in modern web design the design is fluid and has multiple widths supported through media queries 

also if its like other WISIWYG editors the code will suck - which is why that is very much a "toughie"

learn to code (w3schools.com)

spend the money and get coda

edit: technically an ePub is based off HTML (with fixed boundaries) so you maybe able to convert/extract html from an ePub

I believe calibre (free) can convert this to htmlz for you - you will still most likely have to work out some issues in the code

• Reply 52 of 58
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member
    For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to add a Table of Contents to a Pages document either on the Cloud or on my iPad. Is there an option to do so that I am unable to find, or is it simply not there?

Maybe this will help you:
    http://help.apple.com/pages/mac/5.2/#/tan5b8c588d6
  • Reply 53 of 58
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    foad wrote: »
    Actually, it's not a lame excuse. There are specific accounting rules with regards to adding features to products you have previously sold. Since I'm not an accountant, I don't know the intricacies of the rules.

You are correct. One podcast, I believe it was MacBreak Weekly had a great explanation of how that works. It was something to the effect of somehow Apple is able to amortize the costs of developing the software in the sell of each piece of hardware. If I remember the discussion correctly they are able to spread that write down over three years. The deemed useful life of a computer/phone.

I'm not an accountant and I don't know all the technicalities of it but in a nutshell that's what they are doing.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan005 View Post

Yep its under the insert menu - You must be in word processing mode

Its a little odd - it uses whatever you put as the title/heading styles you specify to auto fill its content. (found you can click on the table of contents after its created to control what it uses to auto fill)

if you can't find something on the mac just type it into the help menu

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirBubble View Post

Maybe this will help you:

http://help.apple.com/pages/mac/5.2/#/tan5b8c588d6

Unfortunately, both the solutions are for Pages on the Mac and I'm away from my Mac most of the time.

I was asking about the iPad version of the iCloud version.

• Reply 55 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Unfortunately, both the solutions are for Pages on the Mac and I'm away from my Mac most of the time.

I was asking about the iPad version of the iCloud version.

Sorry I missed that.

Personally I would create a "template" file with a table of contents in on the mac 1 time,

then open up/duplicate that file to start a new document on the iPad.

• Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan005 View Post

Sorry I missed that.

Personally I would create a "template" file with a table of contents in on the mac 1 time,

then open up/duplicate that file to start a new document on the iPad.

Yeah, I ended up opening the file on my Mac and adding a TOC there.

When selecting the TOC is iCloud, the edit section on the left shows 'Editing Table of Contents coming soon', so it should show up in some upgrade down the road.

• Reply 57 of 58

Well said! I love Apple products and consider myself a fan, but they really pulled the rug out from under us with the last round of releases. And it's not just iWork, they completely broke my video editing workflow with the updates to iMovie and Final Cut Pro. Nobody forced me to update, but breaking that whole migration path seems antithetical to their stated mission here. The version of iMovie released along side the new iWork no longer supports importing of iOS projects, and Final Cut Pro 10.1 no longer supports importing of iMovie 9 projects – which does support iOS import.

Back to iWork, the major deal breaker for my wife and I is the loss of Merge. And it's not just an iWork thing, it's no longer supported in iWork '09 if you upgrade to Mavericks. For this reason, my wife's computer is still back on Mountain Lion with Pages '09. And thanks to the magic of notifications, we are constantly prompted to "upgrade" to Mavericks without any warning that we will lose mission-critical functionality. For the first time in a long time, I'm absolutely jaded about software updates. "Apple giveth, and Apple taketh away" is not what I call a winning strategy when it comes to productivity, and these apps still have a long way to go.

• Reply 58 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pulpjedi View Post

I love Apple products and consider myself a fan, but

For the love of humanity.