Microsoft Office for iPad hits 12M downloads one week after debut

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    tcphototcphoto Posts: 65member
    And just like me, 99.8% of those that downloaded the apps deleted them.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    snova wrote: »
    ...but, but, but all the white-box Android tablets. :???:  

.... but, but, but nobody wants MS Office for their iPad. :lol:
  • Reply 23 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lilsmirk wrote: »
    And this is relevant because...?

Because Apple is making 30%. This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    malikermaliker Posts: 2member

It seem like Microsoft will eventually delivery deadly blows to many competitors. Office for iPad and free Windows will have a huge impact in the tech industry. Microsoft already provides great customer service where anybody can chat to a tech rep. http://po.st/jgBqK4

• Reply 25 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    12M is huge. It's true that they are only 5th in top grossing but I think that the algorithm for grossing lags those for downloads. And remember - most of the downloads are people with existing subs or experimenting but enough people have signed up newly to the service to drive revenues to 5th so far. ( I imagine 1st eventually). Which is not nothing. It's new subscribers for MS and more money for both MS and Apple
  • Reply 26 of 46
    malikermaliker Posts: 2member

It seem like Microsoft will eventually delivery deadly blows to many competitors. Office for iPad and free Windows will have a huge impact in the tech industry. Microsoft already provides great customer service where anybody can chat to a tech rep. 

• Reply 27 of 46
    creepcreep Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Calling it freemium makes it sound like all the apps pretending to be free and then charging to do anything useful. 

wut?

This is exactly what is going on.  The apps are free, but to do anything useful, you need to pay for the Office365 subscription.  That is the definition of freemium.

• Reply 28 of 46
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member

I'd say this is the software equivalent to "devices shipped" versus "devices sold".

• Reply 29 of 46
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    ... thus rendering the Surface even more pointless.

I'm an iPad owner and not once have I had an overwhelming urge to spin on a conference table or dance like a nazis school girl. Apparently the Surface has Powers the iPad lacks.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    igroucho wrote: »
    If Office 2011 is any indication of the quality of the webbversion for iOS it will be a catastrophy. Office 2011 so chockfull of bugs and after all these updates still no relief in sight. It's still beta...

This is all new from the ground up. If anything, I anticipate Office for Mac 2014 will pull heavily from these apps.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    jhart376jhart376 Posts: 30member
    The point is not just how much money Apple is making on the software sales. The other major point is how many individuals and corporations will now buy a new iPad for sure rather then consider any alternative.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    And how many deleted the app a day or less later?

i tried out Excel, expecting the no edit to mean no editing of formulas, layout etc, but found you cannot even alter a cell value to change the result in other cells... Or to put it another way, Excel on an iPad as a free version is no more use than taking a spreadsheet on a desktop computer and saving the sheet as pdf and viewing it on your iPad.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I'm an iPad owner and not once have I had an overwhelming urge to spin on a conference table or dance like a nazis school girl. Apparently the Surface has Powers the iPad lacks.

You're holding it wrong.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I imagine that most are simply testing it but it's a strong start. I just hope this is the start of MS realizing it's a SW company. They started off strong by writing apps for Apple so I like that the past is repeating itself.

"All this has happened before, and all this will happen again."

You nailed it. Microsoft should just stick to writing apps for Apple ... and give up on everything else. :)
  • Reply 35 of 46
    howiehowie Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therfman View Post

But how many of those are actually paying Microsoft to really use the apps vs. "just tryin' it out cause it's free"?

Presumably time will tell.

• Reply 36 of 46
    howiehowie Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

And just like me, 99.8% of those that downloaded the apps deleted them.

Why? So you can say you did cuz, you know, the man and stuff.....?

• Reply 37 of 46

Funny how here and all the tech sites there are people looking for any reason to try and spin this as a negative. There is no downside here - it's a big win for MS and Apple. And a huge gaping hole for Android, who doesn't have any productivity suite that's even half as good.

I bought Office 365 Home. $100 per year and I get it on 5 PC's. Everyone at home gets the extra 20GB OneDrive storage and you also get 60 minutes of Skype free every month. And on your PC you also get Publisher (so-so for me) and Access (big deal for me). $100 a year is a bargain for how much you actually get.

• Reply 38 of 46
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Microsoft is pushing the subscription model. And maybe they think they're giving less $$ to Apple than if it was a paid app on the AppStore. I know a number of people who said "no thanks" because they don't want to rent software. Or they use other cloud options at this point and don't want to be tied to OneDrive.

The fact is it has to be free. Office is primarily and enterprise product and paying for it yearly isn't anything new with 365. Eventually most of the people downloading and using this app won't be buying a personal subscription to 365 through the app. They will be activating the one they have from work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creep View Post

wut?

This is exactly what is going on.  The apps are free, but to do anything useful, you need to pay for the Office365 subscription.  That is the definition of freemium.

It's just a weird way of thinking about it. When I think of fermium apps I think of the ones that have swapped an initial price for buying the app to an in app purchase so it can be free in the app store.

In this case what you pay for isn't just an app, your paying for Office on Windows, Web, Mac, iPad plus a few other services. It's like having a magazine subscription to a printed magazine where they've also released an app that you can view the magazine on as well.

The majority of users of these apps also won't be buying a subscription through the iPad or specifically for an iPad. My parents got theirs when they bought an iMac. So to them it's just a free app.

• Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Microsoft is pushing the subscription model. And maybe they think they're giving less $$ to Apple than if it was a paid app on the AppStore. I know a number of people who said "no thanks" because they don't want to rent software. Or they use other cloud options at this point and don't want to be tied to OneDrive.

They are giving less money to Apple -- its free. If you already have purchased the subscription model for your PC, or for work as an employee, or as university or college student/faculty/staff that has paid for an enterprise-wide license, then the iPad version will cost you nothing, and Apple will get nothing. 

• Reply 40 of 46
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    I love the apps, and by subscribing to 365 I think you'll automatically get Office 2015 Mac.

The apps should not be described as Freemium, any more than iBooks should be.