Apple issues fifth OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks beta to developers with minimal changes

Posted:
in macOS edited April 2014
Apple on Thursday issued the fifth OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks beta to developers, asking testers to focus on graphics, audio, Safari and the recently restored iTunes contacts and calendar syncing over USB.

The latest OS X 10.9.3 beta, dubbed build 13D33, comes one week after the prior release was seeded in late March. Like the previous build, however, Apple's current pre-release software contains similar focus areas for testing.

Build 13D33 contains no known issues and focus areas are the usual Graphics Drivers, Audio, Safari and iTunes contacts and calendar synchronization. Mail is once again included in the list of focus areas, something Apple has been grappling with since Mavericks launched in October.

Previous OS X 10.9.3 betas added pixel-doubling scaling support, suggesting the upcoming maintenance update will bring a so-called "Retina" output mode for users connecting their late-2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display to external 4K monitors

Developers can download the build 13D33 from Apple's Developer Portal or via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53

Is that it? Is Mavericks finally stable to use?

• Reply 2 of 53
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Is that it? Is Mavericks finally stable to use?

It's been stable since it's release. Never any major issues here. Dunno here this is coming from. It's been one of the better releases.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

It's been stable since it's release. Never any major issues here. Dunno here this is coming from. It's been one of the better releases.

It's probably coming from the iHaters. Some are trying to make Mavericks sound like it's a Windows Me/Vista release. I too never had any issues with Mavericks or iOS 7.

• Reply 4 of 53
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

that's great it's been purring along for you.  If you read the following link, the blog writer, who's a photographer and really knows his way around OSX, details, in his experience anyway, the decrease in quality of OSX.  Read the section on Apple Core Rot;

http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html#AppleCoreRot

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20140331_1-OSX-Mavericks-hang-bug.html

• Reply 5 of 53
    oldmacsoldmacs Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

It's probably coming from the iHaters. Some are trying to make Mavericks sound like it's a Windows Me/Vista release. I too never had any issues with Mavericks or iOS 7.

I've had endless issues with Mavericks. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro (Non retina) and I'm onto my 5th Mavericks clean install. Its slower than Mountain Lion, the finder is very unstable, it randomly logs out sometimes when it freezes, battery life is useless, everything takes longer to open, wifi takes a while to reconnect after opening the lid, safari freezes and quits, my computer won't always wake up from sleep, boot up takes forever. I'm so totally over Mavericks, I would go back to Mountain Lion but my pages and keynote documents are all in the new format now :/ 

I've used every version of OSX since Panther and System 7 to OS9 before that and this is the worst release ever. 

On the other hand iOS 7 has run well for me on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. In there case it runs a little slow at times, but its not buggy. 

• Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

I've had endless issues with Mavericks. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro (Non retina) and I'm onto my 5th Mavericks clean install. Its slower than Mountain Lion, the finder is very unstable, it randomly logs out sometimes when it freezes, battery life is useless, everything takes longer to open, wifi takes a while to reconnect after opening the lid, safari freezes and quits, my computer won't always wake up from sleep, boot up takes forever. I'm so totally over Mavericks, I would go back to Mountain Lion but my pages and keynote documents are all in the new format now :/ 

I've used every version of OSX since Panther and System 7 to OS9 before that and this is the worst release ever. 

On the other hand iOS 7 has run well for me on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. In there case it runs a little slow at times, but its not buggy. 

I use it on my 2011 MBP and it works perfectly fine every day at work. Sounds like you have other issues besides the OS. 

• Reply 7 of 53

No other issues. Genius bar have run all the diagnostics on my Mac twice. Not a single problem. Mountain Lion on another partition runs fine. 

Everyone I know that has updated to Mavericks has regretted it. There are endless pages of online forums about stability problems. 

I forgot to add that quick viewing images over 400 mb in size either logs the computer out or makes the system hang. Its pretty unimpressive. 

• Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

that's great it's been purring along for you.  If you read the following link, the blog writer, who's a photographer and really knows his way around OSX, details, in his experience anyway, the decrease in quality of OSX.  Read the section on Apple Core Rot;

http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html#AppleCoreRot

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20140331_1-OSX-Mavericks-hang-bug.html

So this so called "expert" finds 2 bugs in Mavericks and its dubbed the most bug ridden OS ever? LOLOLOL!!!!! There have been far worse releases, 10.7 Lion being I think the worst in a long time. You've been nothing but a 10.9 hater from the beginning if I remember correctly. I've ran it on all of my Macs, my friends use it without any issues and I have a few at work with it installed with no issues. I don't see the big deal. 

There's no such thing as a perfect OS...even from Apple. 

• Reply 9 of 53

I ran Lion on a 2008 White Macbook from day 1 and while it was a bit sluggish, it wasn't big ridden. 

• Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:

No other issues. Genius bar have run all the diagnostics on my Mac twice. Not a single problem. Mountain Lion on another partition runs fine. 

Everyone I know that has updated to Mavericks has regretted it. There are endless pages of online forums about stability problems. 

I forgot to add that quick viewing images over 400 mb in size either logs the computer out or makes the system hang. Its pretty unimpressive. 

I just know that I don't experience any of these issues and neither do anyone I know that has it installed. I have it installed on a few Macs at work (school) without issues as well. Something must be up. 

The thing to remember is, everyone's setup is slightly different. Different hardware, different software installed, maybe they just upgraded and it don't upgrade properly (which is why I hate upgrades and never do them), etc. So its hard to determine whats actually wrong. It could be something from a previous OS that was made worse by doing an upgrade or something like that. 

• Reply 11 of 53

The issue is a poorly made OS. Its running terribly on a friend's 2011 iMac, 2011 Mac Mini and 2010 Macbook Pro (Off the top of my head) 

• Reply 12 of 53

On a Clean Install with files copied back manually and applications reinstalled there should not be any issue. 

• Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

Never had a problem with Mavericks on any of my old or new Macs.

Everyone I know that has updated to Mavericks has said it's the best most stable release ever. There are endless pages of online forums praising how stable Mavericks is.

Viewing images over 400 mb in size is no problem.

• Reply 14 of 53
    11001011100101 Posts: 12member
    People saying it has been stable since release are most likely people not using their computers much, are not professionals, and also don't really know what they are talking about.
    The fanboyism is not funny anymore and just pathetic. I tried Windows 7, 8, just for fun, and there's no graphics issues with my card there. Funny.
    People that do video, graphics, music production, as a job, do have issues, and they are not minor and hinder work.
    I do still have issues with Mail after the 10.9.2 update. Some websites however, now show the main images and graphics fine, but there is still lots of tearing and other graphic anomalies. The tearing shows more with light brown or grey colours. This is with a Sapphire 7950 card.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [quote name="oldmacs" url="/t/177295/apple-issues-fifth-os-x-10-9-3-mavericks-beta-to-developers-with-minimal-changes#post_2509924"]No other issues. Genius bar have run all the diagnostics on my Mac twice. Not a single problem. Mountain Lion on another partition runs fine.[/QUOTE]

1) How are doing an Apple-authorized Mac OS X partition on an internal drive?

2) What did your logs specifically state were the reasons for all your crashes?

[QUOTE]Everyone I know that has updated to Mavericks has regretted it.[/QUOTE]

I understand if you have issues with your machine, but to have issues with all your machines and everyone you know regrets installing it seems very extreme.

[QUOTE]There are endless pages of online forums about stability problems.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, but that's the case for every OS they've released and will be the case for the next OS, too, no matter how well it may work for you.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) How are doing an Apple-authorized Mac OS X partition on an internal drive?

2) What did your logs specifically state were the reasons for all your crashes?

I understand if you have issues with your machine, but to have issues with all your machines and everyone you know regrets installing it seems very extreme.

Well, yeah, but that's the case for every OS they've released and will be the case for the next OS, too, no matter how well it may work for you.

What do you mean Apple Authorised Partition?

That last couple of safari crashes state : 

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

If that is any help. 

If you're inferring that I'm making up the fact that everyone I know has issues, you are wrong. I am a massive fan and I wouldn't go online and rant for the hell of it .

• Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100101 View Post

People saying it has been stable since release are most likely people not using their computers much, are not professionals, and also don't really know what they are talking about.

The fanboyism is not funny anymore and just pathetic. I tried Windows 7, 8, just for fun, and there's no graphics issues with my card there. Funny.

People that do video, graphics, music production, as a job, do have issues, and they are not minor and hinder work.

I do still have issues with Mail after the 10.9.2 update. Some websites however, now show the main images and graphics fine, but there is still lots of tearing and other graphic anomalies. The tearing shows more with light brown or grey colours. This is with a Sapphire 7950 card.

I would be inclined to agree with this. There are obviously problems. Windows 8 runs perfectly fine on my Macbook. It manages to open everything  fast and boot quickly. Why can't apple manage this? 

I do a lot of photo and video work and Mavericks is a massive bother for both. 

• Reply 18 of 53
    1100101 wrote: »

Yes I'm a fanboy because I don't have any problems.

Does Apple even support that card? I know it's made for the Mac but do they make the drivers for it or does AMD? If Apple doesn't support it then this isn't Apple's fault.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    oldmacs wrote: »
    If you're inferring that I'm making up the fact that everyone I know has issues, you are wrong. I am a massive fan and I wouldn't go online and rant for the hell of it .

Of course not, but the trip from probable to improbable does go from "I'm having issues" when you start saying "Everyone you know is having issues." How many is everyone? 1 2? 50?I can literally name 50 people running Mavericks that don't seem to have any major issues and a couple that have had some issues. Of course, there are more than 50 people having issues with Mavericks but the likelihood of all of being the only people you know is improbable so without having been given even a rough estimate your comment comes across as hyperbole.
  • Reply 20 of 53

about 10 people I know have gone to Mavericks. The others are on a combination of Lion and Mountain Lion.